Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended level of carbs in the diet - research

good article. Their recommendations are pretty much in line with what my surgeon's office said.

Thanks for posting the article. I found this photo of a plate wls patients can purchase. The photo was enough for me to get the idea of what a meal would look like for me.

Everyone's journey is different is not just a common theme, it is the truth. lol I do know the dangers of ultra low carb eating.

You have to be aware of how glycogen is used in the brain, and how you can use high Protein intake to run the brain rather than glucose. Also you have o be very diligent with Vitamins. Which I am, also being on top of bloodwork is important. The issues that are mentioned with low carb eating is the assumption that you go high fat low carb, which is not what i do at all. i do no sugar, ultra low carb, so you dont run the same risk of lipid increases etc.

I eat things like turkey bacon, no its not bacon, but its good. And probably 99% of my meals are chicken or turkey, very lean cuts ( i tend to trim it myself) usually with spices and i do get some carbs usually from basmati or brown rice. about two tablespoonfuls with my dinner.

I do get a little fat from sugar-free pudding, but I get a ton of Vitamins and minerals from my Multivitamins, my Iron supplements, and my Protein shakes. Sometimes I do go as high as 30 carbs, for example last night i had some beautiful halibut, and i breaded it a bit, my estimate is about 12 to 18 carbs . Also I do occasionally get some carbs from nice fresh corn, or some carrots.

For me hitting this low of a carb daily intake has helped me avoid the truly epic major stalls. Now in truth my weight loss did slow from the proverbial 20 to 30 pounds a month to the mundane 5 to 8 pounds a month. But at this point, it is to be expected. My body changes are still occurring and are dramatic so I am happy with it. and with 23 pounds to go to my goal, I'm well on my way . The most important thing I tell people, is to do what works for you. There are people's eating habits I don't agree with, and I'm damn sure some people don't agree with mine, but as long as you can be healthy, and you are achieving your weight loss goals, I'm all for what anyone is doing. In my eyes, carbs =sugar, sugar= bad , but that may not work for you. Find what works for you, and run with it.

Carbs do indeed = sugar, but you can use that to your advantage. I try to bookend my carbs around my workouts so that instead of that sugar just sitting there turning to fat, it is used to fuel my workouts. I workout 5 - 6 days a week.

I've been wondering if I need more healthy carbs like whole grains, etc. I tend to get really foggy by mid-afternoon. Almost all of my carbs now are from fruits and vegetables. I was thinking about steel oats in the morning before a work out, or perhaps some kind of sprouted bread? The only problem with the sprouted bread is that almost all of the various kinds I've found are at least 110 calories a slice and my meals are usually only about 150 calories.

Try Cream of Wheat

@@Whitney1968 interesting. I've never actually had cream of wheat. What is it exactly?

Cream of Wheat is like a smooth oatmeal or smooth grits. You can different flavors. Or look up high in Protein, low in carbs breakfasts

@@Whitney1968 I'll look into it! Though I'm actually thinking I need more carbs, rather than fewer.

Try hummus

They make a whole grain cream of wheat and a regular version try to find the whole grain one!

I've been wondering if I need more healthy carbs like whole grains, etc. I tend to get really foggy by mid-afternoon. Almost all of my carbs now are from fruits and vegetables. I was thinking about steel oats in the morning before a work out, or perhaps some kind of sprouted bread? The only problem with the sprouted bread is that almost all of the various kinds I've found are at least 110 calories a slice and my meals are usually only about 150 calories.

I am a big fan of steel cut or rolled oats. I buy them plain and cook my own. You get good carbs and a tiny bit of Protein with them. I also add a little Protein powder in my preparation of them or toss a little in my pre gym workout drink.

I'm not a fan of breads in general. They fill me up too much for it to be worth it.

@@BLERDgirl I'm going to try steel cut oats too! I had a slice of Trader Joe's sprouted bread yesterday - kind of an open-faced sandwich. No negative effects - but I actually haven't encountered anything I eat yet. I think I was a little less foggy in the afternoon but maybe that's just wishful thinking.