Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having surgery in Oct ?

@edie091371. Thanks I'll check out the Nivea. I know that is a good brand and I know I have miles of stretch marks and skin sags to firm. I don't have a date yet. I'm still doing my prove up for the insurance company. I have about 2 more weeks of that, then labs, then everything to the insurance company. I didn't expect this to be so nervewracking, just the getting stuff ready and the wait. But there it is. We're all going through it.

I should be sometime October or November as well.

My pre-op appt is Oct 2nd. My tentative surgery date is October 12th. My paperwork will be submitted September 30th. I'm only nervous about my final weigh in. I didn't have to lose weight before surgery, I just have not gain....that is hard! I'm excited to be on the lover's bench. I'm ready for a new start. If any one has any questions/suggestions I should ask in pre op appt, I'm completely open for suggestions please. I'd love to make sure I'm prepared. I can't believe the day is getting closer.

Hi all! I am scheduled for Oct 21. This will be my 2nd attempt at the RnY. I had my first procedure Sept 9, and the surgeon found that there was too much fat in the mesentery which attaches to the small intestine, not allowing him to pull it far enough forward to meet the stomach. I woke up with all 6 incisions but no RnY. Ironically my BMI was "only" 39 and I was told not to lose much in my 3 mo supervised diet, b/c my approval hinged on my BMI + comorbidities. I had lost 7 lbs, and then in the last month before surgery, I had a lot of food funerals and regained it all.

So now I am on a 30 day liquid diet to try and lose 20 lbs and he'll hopefully be able to do it next time. If not, at that point I'll have the sleeve, even though I'd prefer the bypass.

Oct 9th. Preop tomorrow and start liquid diet tomorrow.

@@drmeow wow that would not be cool.

I had my pre-op today. Everything is on track.

I ask questions like (Warning: These answers are MY doctors and yours may say something completely different):

During the surgery is there anyway to ENSURE dumping (I need that negative feedback)? My doctor said around 80% will and 20% will not get dumping. However, with my BMI he will go lower down the intestines to make the attachment.

How will sleep apnea affect my time in recovery? Will it affect the surgery? He said not the surgery but could affect the recovery if either you do not have your CPAP machine or you are undiagnosed with sleep apnea and then have episodes in the recovery room.

Some people say their legs or other parts hurt after surgery. Where will I hurt and why? This information will help me prepare myself. He said your legs are strapped down AND the table is rotated to a more upright position. So you may have some pain in the thigh area. Other than that, the abdomen area, you might have some in your shoulders/back from gas.

Is there a limit to how much you should walk in the hospital after surgery. He said no.

What do I take for headaches before and after surgery? He said Tylenol crushed. You can also get liquid in the pediatric or diabetic section but some actually have dumping from the liquid because they add sugar.

What fat content makes you dump? This varies and you have to experiment to find out for you.

I hope this helps.

13 days and counting to blast off. I am about to explore a totally different frontier.

I may be with you guys, probably November. Good luck to you all!

My date is Oct. 22nd. Start my pre op diet October 8th. Very excited and nervous at the same time lol.

@@edie091371 I am having Gastric Bypass :)

More from yesterday's pre-op:

After hearing people talk about how confusing it is to figure out which Vitamins to buy and having enough stress already, I decided to purchase the Vitamins from the docs office. If I want to find cheaper ones I can now take my time.

They were pleased with my current weight loss and we discussed what my initial weight loss goal would be. My first weight loss goal will be losing 100 pounds. I already knew this but I wanted to further clarify if that should start after surgery or before. We decided on before. As I believe I have discussed before, I don't want the goal to be too hard or too easy so I let the NUT help me set this goal. After I lose the 100 pounds we will decide on the next goal.

I thought that if everything was still on track after this visit I would calm down some but I actually think I am even more nervous and worried now that everything is still on. This doesn't seem right to me but that is how I feel.

Welcome to ALL the new folks. We are just about ready to start boarding the train. What was the name of that movie where the kids board the train during Christmas that takes them to the North Pole to see Santa? I feel like that is what we are doing. Once we start moving, we will be looking out the trains window, with our mouths open, as we experience the many wonders on this fantasy trip of a life time. I know I for one having been dreaming about taking this kind of journey to the land of the healthier version of me! I just didn't really think it would ever happen. ALL ABOARD!!!!