Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wedding is 12/5 - Surgery Date is 10/5 - ...How much weight could I lose?

Hi Ladies,

OK my surgery date is October 5, 2015 (yeah!) and my wedding date is December 5, 2015 - exactly 2 months!! I'm having a revision from the band to the bypass. I realize that the dress I have now will have to be scrapped as I will probably lose too much as it is full of beads and appliques - way too expensive to pay the seamstress to re-do...but I will need to find another wedding dress soon!

How much could I potentially lose if following all the rules? I understand that weight loss varies depending on so much. My BMI is at 38 now. I understand that the loss might not be as fast the 2nd time and with a lower BMI.

Any thoughts or experiences? I didn't have rapid lost at all with the band so I don't know what to expect.

Thank you!

I can't speak about the amount of loss your going to experience in that two month time frame, and even if I could I don't think it's going to help much when it comes to the dress part of things because if your like most of us women you could lose in one place much more than in another place.

My advice would be to find yourself a shop, or a seamstress that can work with you and the dress to modify as you lose and leave some things open for a nip and tuck a week or even a few days before the event. Sometimes you can salvage a dress with appliques since they can be removed and re-positioned to be more flattering. If it's all bead work...that could be more of an issue.

I am about your height and weight right now, so I am super curious to see how things go for you after the bypass and I would love to see those wedding photo's!!! I'm a big say yes to the dress and wedding show fan. I don't know why...but it's my "reality" TV of choice :)

Congratulations!!!

My opinion is that is you stick to the plan and eat properly and get in the minimal workouts you could possibly lose anywhere from 15-20 lbs. I feel saying that cause it is the average amount most have lost. Granted 5-7 lbs will be Water weight but still,,,,,good luck and I'm sure you will have a beautiful wedding and be a beautiful bride!

Oh this is a VERY dangerous road to go down. Trying to set deadlines for weight loss is never ever good. Ever person's body handles WLS differently and there is no way to predict how quickly you will lose. You will drive yourself completely insane comparing yourself to others or trying to set time-based goals. You need to work your plan and the weight loss WILL happen, but focusing on how long it takes or how much you can lose in a certain period of time is a recipe for disaster.

Oh this is a VERY dangerous road to go down. Trying to set deadlines for weight loss is never ever good. Ever person's body handles WLS differently and there is no way to predict how quickly you will lose. You will drive yourself completely insane comparing yourself to others or trying to set time-based goals. You need to work your plan and the weight loss WILL happen, but focusing on how long it takes or how much you can lose in a certain period of time is a recipe for disaster.

Funny I was looking at it from a - "damn, am I going to be able to buy another dress within that time period?" way when I asked the question. I'm not worried about IF weight loss is going to happen. I know it will. I really wasn't expecting to be approved, or that I would even have the surgery this year. If I had, I would have waited to buy the dress.

Funny I was looking at it from a - "damn, am I going to be able to buy another dress within that time period?" way when I asked the question. I'm not worried about IF weight loss is going to happen. I know it will. I really wasn't expecting to be approved, or that I would even have the surgery this year. If I had, I would have waited to buy the dress.

Glad to hear it. I was worried you were going to set some impossible weight-loss goal for your wedding date (pretty common in brides, even those who don't have WLS) and set yourself up for disappointment. Luckily, wedding dresses can be altered!

After reading your previous post I am glad to hear you are choosing to have the surgery since it was approved.Good luck working on the dress issue.

After reading your previous post I am glad to hear you are choosing to have the surgery since it was approved.Good luck working on the dress issue.

Don't want to lose approval! I've wanted this for too long!

@@betrthnever

Congratulations on getting approved and your upcoming nuptials!

I am not sure that I can help because I did not have a revision. I had RNY bypass and lost nearly 55lbs in that first 8 weeks. I dropped from a size 26 to a size 18. I only know this because I went to Vegas exactly 8 weeks post op and had to buy all new clothes. I had just been released to soft foods a couple weeks before.

Now the tricky thing is where you lose which is different for everyone. For me, my butt seemed to go first followed by my boobs.

Even after being so close to goal my arms, thighs and tummy is where everything is hanging on.

It seems from watching everyone on this site that weight loss differs so much from one to the other in the beginning. I would just assume as you are, that you will likely be somewhere between 25 and 50lbs smaller.

Keep a seamstress involved and just go with that. It is the best you can do.

Again! Congratulations!

My seamstress will be working with me as she doesn't want me to worry about not having a dress at the last minute.

Hi Ladies,

OK my surgery date is October 5, 2015 (yeah!) and my wedding date is December 5, 2015 - exactly 2 months!! I'm having a revision from the band to the bypass. I realize that the dress I have now will have to be scrapped as I will probably lose too much as it is full of beads and appliques - way too expensive to pay the seamstress to re-do...but I will need to find another wedding dress soon!

How much could I potentially lose if following all the rules? I understand that weight loss varies depending on so much. My BMI is at 38 now. I understand that the loss might not be as fast the 2nd time and with a lower BMI.

Any thoughts or experiences? I didn't have rapid lost at all with the band so I don't know what to expect.

Thank you!

just let seamstress know you may lose 30lbs by wedding time

Yes I sure did!

I lost 30-40lbs first 90 days

@@betrthnever - I would hold off on getting remeasured and getting the dress altered until after about 4 weeks post. That would give her two weeks to alter and you can probably adjust accordingly from their. You don't want to be bulging out and over if its too small.

Congrats on BOTH!!!

Send pictures!!!!