Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

I am down from a size 14/16 to a 4/6. I have an immediate family member who lives across the country, that no matter what picture I send, gives this response:
"Well, I can't really tell much. It looks like you took the picture at an angle."

So, people I know in my area (who see me every month or so) have seriously not recognized me, but you can't tell if I've lost any weight or not.

Also have had two people tell me that by having surgery that I cheated. 4 nights a week in the gym, a lifestyle change, a whole diet overhaul now makes me a cheater. I've also been getting the "you're too thin, I'm worried" routine from another.

Was waiting for my ride after cardiac and pulmonary clearances yesterday (well, nearly: have to do an at-home sleep study). But a guy asked me what I was there for and I told him. He tells me that I could lose weight by drinking a lot of water: since Water has no calories, I should just keep my stomach full of water. Ohhh . . . should I just go ahead and cancel the surgery, then? 'Cause, you know, that sounds easy!

I say to this topic and people who ask dumb question. Saying negative comments or questions makes me itch especially when people know if they were given the chance to have the surgery they would too. Nobody wants to live this way and people can make you want to get violent with stupid questions. All of us who are struggling or had the surgery be strong, hold on and ignore idiots.

13 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

Was waiting for my ride after cardiac and pulmonary clearances yesterday (well, nearly: have to do an at-home sleep study). But a guy asked me what I was there for and I told him. He tells me that I could lose weight by drinking a lot of water: since Water has no calories, I should just keep my stomach full of Water. Ohhh . . . should I just go ahead and cancel the surgery, then? 'Cause, you know, that sounds easy!

Wow. I had a person tell me that if I should cancel my surgery and do whatever diet shakes they were selling. The water guy and that person must be related. LOL

And for an extra giggle, I had a medifast/optifast sales person tell me if they had gotten to me first, I wouldn't have needed the surgery.

Wow. I had a person tell me that if I should cancel my surgery and do whatever diet shakes they were selling. The Water guy and that person must be related. LOL

And for an extra giggle, I had a medifast/optifast sales person tell me if they had gotten to me first, I wouldn't have needed the surgery.

My medifast coach told me they had a whole bariatric line available for post-surgery.

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

I almost want to offer my service of "ass whoopings", give me a call, I show up, punch the person in the mouth and leave LOL. Some people have such nerve!!!!

I had a co-worker look over my shoulder while I was browsing ebay during my break. I was looking at bohemiam style skirts. She asked what size they went up to. I said 18. She says "You're delusional if you think that surgery will make you get down to a size 18." I was a 24/26 when she said that... So 18 is that far off? Obviously she doesn't know how this surgery works. 4 weeks post-op, now in a 20/22. I've had friends tell me that when I get into that 18, I need to remove the tag and without a word, place it into my co-workers hand and walk away.

Sent from my LGUS990 using BariatricPal mobile app

On the one hand, I don't give a crap for what other people say; on the other hand, my friends have been supportive and my family hasn't been as bad as I expected. But one friend did email me that she found the surgery scary, she knew a "lot " of people who had died from it, including this one woman--then she made it clear this happened some years ago. I don't know what surgery that woman had. I just responded that this was about as dangerous as having my gall bladder out, which I did about a decade ago.
I didn't go into the health risks of remaining this way, with diabetes/high blood pressure/high cholesterol/excruciating knee pain.

Tell her you know people who aspirated while drinking Water and they died. True stories!

I had a co-worker look over my shoulder while I was browsing ebay during my break. I was looking at bohemiam style skirts. She asked what size they went up to. I said 18. She says "You're delusional if you think that surgery will make you get down to a size 18." I was a 24/26 when she said that... So 18 is that far off? Obviously she doesn't know how this surgery works. 4 weeks post-op, now in a 20/22. I've had friends tell me that when I get into that 18, I need to remove the tag and without a word, place it into my co-workers hand and walk away.

Definitely do this! :)

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

20 hours ago, Kyle Lukas said:

I almost want to offer my service of "ass whoopings", give me a call, I show up, punch the person in the mouth and leave LOL. Some people have such nerve!!!!

Got ya on speed dial.

I HOPE that people ask me "How are you losing all this weight?"

I'm a very creative person and I like to mess with people so I can think of some really good responses to elicit surprise from these people....

"I have a GIANT tapeworm. It's the new craze from Europe. Yep, it's a tapeworm and his name is Justin. As in, he's Justin my Large intestines."

"I've been donating all my fat on a monthly basis to fill the Kardashians parts. Lips, ass, boobs, they all not only have a little Ray Jay in them, they also have a fair amount of me."

"Oh Am I? It must be all the stupid questions I answer all day long. Burns A LOT of calories. You should try it."

Stuff like that. Or this.....

people can be so mean and petty.

I HOPE that people ask me "How are you losing all this weight?"

I'm a very creative person and I like to mess with people so I can think of some really good responses to elicit surprise from these people....

"I have a GIANT tapeworm. It's the new craze from Europe. Yep, it's a tapeworm and his name is Justin. As in, he's Justin my Large intestines."

"I've been donating all my fat on a monthly basis to fill the Kardashians parts. Lips, ass, boobs, they all not only have a little Ray Jay in them, they also have a fair amount of me."

"Oh Am I? It must be all the stupid questions I answer all day long. Burns A LOT of calories. You should try it."

Stuff like that. Or this.....

OMG. I'm dying.

I just say that I have been working very hard, walking, exercising, and watching what I eat. I have only told a few people that I felt would be supportive. Some feel the need to ask how much weight I have lost at almost every conversation. I am only two months out, and don't feel I should have to defend my progress, stalls and all. I suppose they only think progress = pounds lost. So not true as there are many NSV to Celebrate. Oh, and my favorite pre-surgery comment, "you just need to learn how to eat right." Well now I am learning how to eat right and not be ravenously hungry all the time. Now I have an off switch and am learning to have some will power too! Ignore those who feel they have the right to ask personal questions or decide what is best for you. Besides, when did they receive their doctorate? Keep up the good work everyone!

When they say it questioning way....you lost weight? ?? Put on a great big smile and say yes I did isn't it great! !!!
I have already decided, those who treat me with disrespect and cappy attitude will get it right back. I don't owe anyone anything.
The Scorpio is rising high inside me. And if you know anything about a Scorpio. ..best to tread lightly....lol[emoji6]

I love this thread. It's making me laugh and cry at the same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

No no, wait til you buy the 16 and then do it!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app