Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I've heard a few of you say that you should be getting majority of your Protein in the food you eat, and I'd prefer it that way since I don't care too much for the Protein Shakes. So I asked my nutrition if I could just focus on getting my protein in food, and she told me that's impossible because I'm not eating enough to get all the protein I need daily. Which is kinda true if you think about it. Our new tummy isn't built like it use to be to hold enough food to get the amount of protein. What are your thoughts on this? I'm 4 mos out, surgery date 4/8/15. So maybe that just applies to me because I'm still kind of early out?

Edited by leag78

@@leag78

Good morning. I am 10 months out and still have to drink 1 Protein shake a day. I wish I could get all my Protein from my food but I am not quite there yet.

I do think if I pushed a bit harder by reducing the veggies or a bit of fruit and increase my meats I maybe could just hot that mark. I happen to enjoy my veggies too much to give them up and my nut prefers I eat those veggies. I use the two bites of protein for every one bite of good carbs which is what she told me to do.

I use my 1 Protein Shake in the morning as my Breakfast.

I still mix GENEPRO Protein into my coffee every morning for 30 G of Protein and I am 9 months out. It's a good CYA just in case I don't get it in with all my food. I also don't like most of the protein shakes or bars. I do like the PowerCrunch bars.

Good luck-

LA

I understand some people can, but I'm over a year and a half out and still do one a day.

My nutritionist definitely wanted me to work toward getting most of my Protein from my food every day as soon as possible, but said 1-2 shakes/bars a day is still pretty normal. I do Protein Bars, because I was SOOOOOO over shakes by the time I was allowed solid foods. Plus I feel like they keep me full longer than shakes do.

What's your Protein goal? My surgery was 4/28 and I ave no issue meeting my 60g a day though food. I generally end up with 70g/day. I have Protein Powder left too-- but prefer to eat my protein.

I agree with JamieLogical. I don't do the Protein Shakes and haven't been able to since surgery, but I do eat a Protein Bar for Breakfast and try to get in a 8oz glass of skim or fat free milk a day. With those two, I am over 50% of my Protein of the day, and manage to get the rest in with meats and veggies. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I guess I was lucky that milk doesn't do anything to me.

I'm 5mo out and can manage to get 70+g a day without having a shake.

Edited by OneDollarBill

I agree with JamieLogical. I don't do the Protein shakes and haven't been able to since surgery, but I do eat a Protein Bar for Breakfast and try to get in a 8oz glass of skim or fat free milk a day. With those two, I am over 50% of my Protein of the day, and manage to get the rest in with meats and veggies. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I guess I was lucky that milk doesn't do anything to me.

My protein target is a minimum of 100 grams. I don't think I could manage it without my protein bars.

Do you have a smoothie King near you? They have a shake called the Gladiator that has 40 grams of Protein and only 1 carb (I think) before you add in any fruits. I get the strawberry flavored Protein Powder and have strawberries mixed in too for the fruit. It is DELICIOUS! I know that can get expensive so here is a trick - On $5 medium Mondays go in an have them make you a few but have them split the medium down to 2 small cups. You can place them in the freezer. I take one out of the freezer in the morning and it is ready by lunch. You can buy a bucket of the Gladiator protien powder there too for around $50.

My Protein target is 60g, but that's what I set for myself. My nut never told me about how much I should be getting in a day. She just stressed that I at least get in 1 Protein Shake because she believes there is no way I'm gonna get it all through my food.< /p>

if you're sick of the shakes, you can put Protein powder in sf pudding, i have also mixewd it with pnut butter to make something that resembles the inside of a pb cup or like a homemade pnut butter Protein Bar. i put it in my coffe with some shole milk powder and splenda and it makes a passable latte type drink. that said, i'm not sick of shakes yet, but i am mostly a food -as -fuel kind of person. also i have never had such amazing nails in my life =)

@@leag78 - You need to find out a daily Protein goal from your NUT. How will you know you are hitting your goal if you don't know what that is? It seems to vary per NUT and per person. 60 g seems to be bare minimum, but mine has me trying to get over 100 if possible eventually. Right now I generally get 80-85g in at 10 weeks out but that includes 2 Premier Protein shakes a day with 30 g Protein each.