Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band removal

Hi all, i was banded in 2010 and in aug 2014 it was removed as the band failed.. In oct 2014 i was revised to sleeve and its the best decision I've made in my life. I have GERD since being sleeved however, i haven't had a bout of reflux for about a month now. So i believe its well and truly under control ????. I started off at 383lbs, I'm currently at 235 lbs and still losing. I can eat almost anything i want just really small amounts :) . I do have a problem with eating anything with corn and any leafy greens.. Thats about it! Wishing you every success with your Journey.

I am so glad to hear that the sleeve worked after the band failed. That is my fear. I just can't wait for the next 3 months to go by. That is an amazing weight loss so far! Congrats!! I'm sure your feeling so much better. I can do without corn or leafy greens compared to getting sick over everything with the band lol. What is GERD

GERD is Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease a good explanation taken from webmd

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/reflux-disease-gerd-1

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the ring of muscle between the esophagus and stomach. Many people, including pregnant women, suffer from heartburn or acid indigestion caused by GERD. Doctors believe that some people suffer from GERD due to a condition called hiatal hernia. In most cases, heartburn can be relieved through diet and lifestyle changes; however, some people may require medication or surgery.

What Is Gastroesophageal Reflux?

Gastroesophageal refers to the stomach and esophagus. Reflux means to flow back or return. Therefore, gastroesophageal reflux is the return of the stomach's contents back up into the esophagus.

In normal digestion, the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) opens to allow food to pass into the stomach and closes to prevent food and acidic stomach juices from flowing back into the esophagus. Gastroesophageal reflux occurs when the LES is weak or relaxes inappropriately, allowing the stomach's contents to flow up into the esophagus.

GERD is Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease a good explanation taken from webmd

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/reflux-disease-gerd-1

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the ring of muscle between the esophagus and stomach. Many people, including pregnant women, suffer from heartburn or acid indigestion caused by GERD. Doctors believe that some people suffer from GERD due to a condition called hiatal hernia. In most cases, heartburn can be relieved through diet and lifestyle changes; however, some people may require medication or surgery.

What Is Gastroesophageal Reflux?

Gastroesophageal refers to the stomach and esophagus. Reflux means to flow back or return. Therefore, gastroesophageal reflux is the return of the stomach's contents back up into the esophagus.

In normal digestion, the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) opens to allow food to pass into the stomach and closes to prevent food and acidic stomach juices from flowing back into the esophagus. Gastroesophageal reflux occurs when the LES is weak or relaxes inappropriately, allowing the stomach's contents to flow up into the esophagus.

Ahh oh ok thank you

Hey just wanted you all to know I am one week post op today. Feeling great the belly button area is still a little sore but besides that I'm back to driving and school etc! Hope everyone is doing well !

I was happy to read this information. I have not had much luck with my band. I also have three friends who got banded by the same doctor and none of us have had much luck with the band working. We all got fills, but never had the "sweet spot" work for us and we had a very, very difficult time staying on the Lapband eating program for weeks. However, my real problem is that the port swells up almost every day so it looks like a golf ball is inside the skin. The area around the port almost constantly is quite painful and I have to use a heating pad on it. When I asked the doctor's assistant about it three years ago, she said it was nothing to be concerned about and that it just meant that the port was straining against the stomach muscles when I over used them. I am concerned that something else might be a problem, but the doctor continues to tell me things are okay. I am thinking that I might want to either have it taken out or have a sleeve put in. However, I am not sure about the sleeve when the band hasn't seemed to work at all. Any ideas? Thank you.

I had revision from band to sleeve on 7/1/15 and couldn't be more happy. They are such different in how they have worked. I was banded in 2012 and lost 25lbs and gained 75 when they had to take almost all Fluid out as I was not hitting "sweet spot" and getting food stuck.

Since revision 2 months ago I have lost just over 40lbs and feel so much better!!

Port area for me was always sore and doctor said that tends to be normal as well.

Edited by tryinagain2day

I don't miss all this stuff. I took the band out and have not looked back. Now I am going to heal from this mess I got myself in. They cannot fool me again. Ugh!