Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So frustrated losing slowly and taking meds that make me feel sick

So I will be 3 weeks post op on Wednesday. While I was on liquids I was losing about 2 pounds a day during the 2nd week. I weighed 311 right before surgery. I was getting all my Water in plus some and i felt fantastic. Than I was told I had to take a cocktail of medicines to prevent ulcers and my weight loss plateaued once I started taking them last Sunday, I was stuck at 300. I have been between 299 and 298 the past week. I am thrilled I'm out of the 300's but I feel horrible.

There are some days I can't get all my water in, I can't go for a walk etc. I am sticking to the pureed diet and getting Protein in. But the medication has me feeling sick and nauseous all the time where I just can't get myself out of bed. I am off it in 3 days (have to take it for 10 days). And although I try really hard to be positive about it I feel so fustrated...... and sick.

So I came here to vent and also see if anyone has had to deal with this and medications for ulcer prevention. I'm taking tetracycline and I forgot the other one along with pepto. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just hang in there...that's the best advice. When in your life have you ever lost 2 pounds a day? You are still healing and the weight loss will come but in time. Vent away but e more days is not so long. You may also be in the 3 week stall so I would recommend at this early stage to take your measurements. Stalls are common and will happen from time to time you have those measurements and you take them monthly, you WILL see change even when the scale isn't moving. Don't become obsessed with the scale, hard to do but you can do it. Good luck!

Thanks I'm so new to this so it helped to hear of a three week stall. It is a process. I laugh when I tell my family I need to learn when I'm full again. Yes,3 short days left!

What does your doctor say?

I'm going to point out the obvious..... that 2 lbs a day was most likely Water weight coming off. Starting the med and the weight slowing down is probably coincidence. It's more likely your body did the normal halt as to it you lost too much too fast. U WILL start to lose again. Probably not nearly as fast since from here on it will be fat loss and not water/crap loss. But that's good.

If the medicine is making you sick you need to tell your doctor so they can change/stop it. If you find the feeling continues I suggest also working with your dr/nut. It's not unusual to find alot of people feeling sick and too exhausted to exercise after they start. After all your body is used to this huge amount of calories and now your basically starving it. Your Dr should be able to help advise you.

Oh, before I forget... take your measurments!!! It's not unusual to see the scale stall. But it's extremely helpful to be able to measure and see that you have lost inches.

I'm going to point out the obvious..... that 2 lbs a day was most likely Water weight coming off. Starting the med and the weight slowing down is probably coincidence. It's more likely your body did the normal halt as to it you lost too much too fast. U WILL start to lose again. Probably not nearly as fast since from here on it will be fat loss and not water/crap loss. But that's good.

If the medicine is making you sick you need to tell your doctor so they can change/stop it. If you find the feeling continues I suggest also working with your dr/nut. It's not unusual to find alot of people feeling sick and too exhausted to exercise after they start. After all your body is used to this huge amount of calories and now your basically starving it. Your Dr should be able to help advise you.

yes it bieng water weight is very true. Yesterday when I woke up I felt horrible from the medications and was down. But I started calming down after looking through the forumns and learning more about the post op process. Sorry for being a Debbie downer, just tired of feeling sick. Before the meds I felt weak but I was doing great, felt great and was finally enjoying walking as I had no leg or back pain anymore. So the medicinr slowed me down as I get dizzy during my walks. But I emailed my Dr and his nurse and am waiting to see what they say. I know this sounds bad but although I only have three days of meds left, I don't think I can continue taking them. So hopefully they say I can stop or at least reduce it a bit.