Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had plication surgery on April 3rd. I am currently down almost 40 pounds. I am curious to hear about everyone else's experience so far with this surgery, as I know that the surgery is fairly new. I am hoping that this thread will be helpful for anyone contemplating this surgery. I am 3 months out and am currently eating about 800-900 calories a day. I average about 80-100 grams of Protein a day. I concentrate on eating 5 small meals throughout the day, and drink Water though it can be difficult. I do not regret this surgery at all, I really am using it as the tool it is. I am currently half way to my goal. Others who have had gastric plication surgery please chime in!!

I had plication surgery 9-14 and have not looked back! I absolutely would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. I've lost 65 pounds and have 5 more to make goal. I'm also 63 years old and suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis. I recently had a total right hip replacement and sailed thru the surgery as a result of the weight loss. I'm dancing again and loving my life! Don't wait! You will not regret this!

Congratulations on your awesome results! My results are very different; I lost 20 lbs during the 2 weeks around the surgery (three days of fasting prior, and the rest post-surgery when just broth was consumed.) I haven't lost a pound since, and my cal intake is ~700-800 a day. I'm struggling to stay on the protocol as prescribed by my doc, which is lean Protein and vegetable ONLY. No cottage cheese, no Cereal, no fruit- nothing. I find myself sneaking cottage cheese or a low fat string cheese, or cashews for snack, and it's keeping my weight static. You are awesome for getting to your goal- I'm impressed! Keep up the great work. :)

Congratulations on your awesome results! My results are very different; I lost 20 lbs during the 2 weeks around the surgery (three days of fasting prior, and the rest post-surgery when just broth was consumed.) I haven't lost a pound since, and my cal intake is ~700-800 a day. I'm struggling to stay on the protocol as prescribed by my doc, which is lean Protein and vegetable ONLY. No cottage cheese, no Cereal, no fruit- nothing. I find myself sneaking cottage cheese or a low fat string cheese, or cashews for snack, and it's keeping my weight static. You are awesome for getting to your goal- I'm impressed! Keep up the great work. :)

How long ago did you have your surgery? I stalled at 3 weeks out after 20 pounds lost and did not lose again until week 6 post op. Perhaps it is a stall? I seem to stall every 10 pounds lost and won't lose for 10 days or so. Extremely frustrating but better than the scalSe going up and feeling out of control. Sounds like you are doing everything right, although your body may be telling you it needs more calories. I eat about 800-900 calories a day, and average between 80 and 100 grams of Protein daily, very low carb and sugar intake.

You're right, meve, I think it may be a stall. My doc was *shocked* I hadn't lost way more, but I think he was focused on his usual patient profile, and not maybe my individual case. Out of his thousands of surgeries, I have the least to lose. I had about 45 pounds to lose all together, so I haven't budged at the 25-left-to-go mark. It's tough to say, and a bit disappointing, because I have to report in monthly to the doc. With only a scale, I can't determine if the numbers aren't moving due to getting back to training or something else. The bottom line is that the scale is the only metric we're using, and I am trying to figure out some way to shed the last 20. I just have to keep on going- weight loss slows and plateaus the closer we get to goal, so this is something I'm used to. A fitnessed-focused lifestyle is a marathon for life, not a race for a year. :)

Good luck everyone!

You're right, meve, I think it may be a stall. My doc was *shocked* I hadn't lost way more, but I think he was focused on his usual patient profile, and not maybe my individual case. Out of his thousands of surgeries, I have the least to lose. I had about 45 pounds to lose all together, so I haven't budged at the 25-left-to-go mark. It's tough to say, and a bit disappointing, because I have to report in monthly to the doc. With only a scale, I can't determine if the numbers aren't moving due to getting back to training or something else. The bottom line is that the scale is the only metric we're using, and I am trying to figure out some way to shed the last 20. I just have to keep on going- weight loss slows and plateaus the closer we get to goal, so this is something I'm used to. A fitnessed-focused lifestyle is a marathon for life, not a race for a year. :)

Good luck everyone!

How are you doing so far? Have you broken through the stall?

Edited by meve3681

I did break through! Down 6, but I'm looking pretty lean, so I'm not too focused on the numbers anymore. How are you doing? You must be very close to goal by now. have you been using mostly diet or a combo of diet & training?

I had plication surgery on April 3rd. I am currently down almost 40 pounds. I am curious to hear about everyone else's experience so far with this surgery, as I know that the surgery is fairly new. I am hoping that this thread will be helpful for anyone contemplating this surgery. I am 3 months out and am currently eating about 800-900 calories a day. I average about 80-100 grams of Protein a day. I concentrate on eating 5 small meals throughout the day, and drink Water though it can be difficult. I do not regret this surgery at all, I really am using it as the tool it is. I am currently half way to my goal. Others who have had gastric plication surgery please chime in!!

Please keep us updated with your journey I go to the doctor next week . I arranged surgery for plication last year but backed out. Think I'm ready for it now but need to hear motivational stories.

I did break through! Down 6, but I'm looking pretty lean, so I'm not too focused on the numbers anymore. How are you doing? You must be very close to goal by now. have you been using mostly diet or a combo of diet & training?

Would love to hear your progress enicar

Please keep us updated with your journey I go to the doctor next week . I arranged surgery for plication last year but backed out. Think I'm ready for it now but need to hear motivational stories.

Congrats for doing this on your own terms & timeline. For many with weight challenges, it's a lifelong struggle. Our bodies are engineered to love it when there's stored fat (it wants to survive in lean times) and will fight us when we try to lose that adipose tissue. And it never really gives up. That's Ok- we won't give up either.

Good luck and be healthy and happy!

Hi @@butterflyvan, good luck to you. I have had no complications from surgery and my only regret is not doing it sooner. Keep us posted. Down 50+ pounds in a little over 4 months.

I'm about 20 pounds away from goal. I have been more active since losing weight, more hiking and walking. I have not started a steady workout regime, though. I'm concentrating on my diet at the moment. I really want this to be successful and didn't want to overwhelm myself with too many changes. I believe that is what has caused me to yo yo diet in the past, and has caused me to get burned out and gain weight. Focusing on being healthy and eating right seems to be working for me.

I am just starting to think about Gastric Plication. Nice to see there are favorable results. Best of luck to all of you. Would love to see updates, my surgery date has not been scheduled as of yet.

I had plication in Mexico on 1/7/15. I made my doctor's goal 9 mo post-op.

HW 247

SW 230

CW 160

5'6"/31/f

I suffered from severe muscle cramping in my transverse abdominals on my right side following surgery which stunted my exercise routine. Cramping has slowly subsided indicating that it was nerve damage. A friend of mine with similar stats got gastric sleeve a day before me and our weight loss is identical. I do not restrict food types but can no longer eat high sugary foods, though my intolerance is weakening over time. I'm very satisfied with this surgery and am happy with my intact stomach. When I stall, I find that eating more diverse calories jump starts weight loss. Feel free to ask any questions you have.