Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I, too, have switched to Isopure Protein Water. 40 G protein per bottle is much better than what i was getting from the Protein Shakes. Still tastes funny so I have been diluting the Isopure with G2 and it is so much better. 8 days out and just made my protein quota for the first time yesterday. Keep on plugging!!

It's kind of funny to me, I used to eat more calories in 1 meal than I do now in 1 day... and it feels almost impossible to get 600-800 at 6 weeks out! I'm not hungry but force myself to eat every meal. I average around 450 on a slow day, or 600 on a big eating day.

Thanks for this post. I am 10 days post surgery, I am hitting 500-600 calories, 60-65 G Protein and at least 64 oz Fluid. I feel great, am walking

at least a mile each day. I swear it's like breastfeeding- constantly drinking!

My issue is I'm NOT losing - 5 measly lbs! I know "everyone is different" but i stopped weighing myself until I had to go in yesterday because one of my incisions is infected. So they did my 2week check early, including weigh in. Seriously depressing! I feel great- I have had no gas, nausea, nada. Energy level great, not hungry. Anyone else experience this? When will I see it start to shed?

I was told ( when I was 3 mo post op) no more than 700-800. I couldn't do that on a good day. Pre-op I was pretty busy, I have a job that requires me 7.5 hrs on feet, a 2 and 4 yr old to chase.

After surgery ( December 2 2015)

I'm was more busy, working out, playing harder with my kiddos and working like a maniac lol.

I was losing at 3 months what 6 month post ops were ( so my surgeon tells me). I then went over what I was trying to stick to calorie wise and I told him it's not enough. I was eating closer to 1200. I was still losing! He told me as long as I was losing still and eating mindfully, it wasn't a problem and that my metabolism was fast. I nearly fell on the floor after hearing that lol

But over all, we're all different.

I'm almost 7 months out and have lost 84 lbs, I'm 13 lbs from goal.

Work with your surgeon and nutritionist to see what's right for you :)

Thanks for this post. I am 10 days post surgery, I am hitting 500-600 calories, 60-65 G Protein and at least 64 oz Fluid. I feel great, am walking

at least a mile each day. I swear it's like breastfeeding- constantly drinking!

My issue is I'm NOT losing - 5 measly lbs! I know "everyone is different" but i stopped weighing myself until I had to go in yesterday because one of my incisions is infected. So they did my 2week check early, including weigh in. Seriously depressing! I feel great- I have had no gas, nausea, nada. Energy level great, not hungry. Anyone else experience this? When will I see it start to shed?

You seem like you're doing amazing! You're only ten days post-op, it'll take time. I gained 6 pounds in the hospital and that took me a few days to get rid of too. You're drinking enough Water so maybe it's Water weight? I'm probably losing more because I haven't been drinking as much water. But mine doesn't seem that fast either.

Honestly, just keep doing what you're doing and try not to get too disappointed. It WILL work. Have you been taking your measurements? I've heard of people not losing as much but they're seeing their measurements go down.

It's kind of funny to me, I used to eat more calories in 1 meal than I do now in 1 day... and it feels almost impossible to get 600-800 at 6 weeks out! I'm not hungry but force myself to eat every meal. I average around 450 on a slow day, or 600 on a big eating day.

Right!? I regularly ate multiple meals each with more calories in them than I do in a day. Seems crazy now. Two margaritas yesterday left me with a 900+ calorie count, which has been my highest, but I seem to be more around 500-600. My surgeon just told me to get 1000-1200 which scares me. I'm scared I'll overeat if I attempt to get to that point.

Does your Protein goal decrease as your weight goes down? I know my nutritionist used my weight to calculate my protein goal, so I'm wondering if I'll have to adjust the goal as time goes on? Will I not need as much?

My nutritionist told me mine would decrease. That proper protein intake is calculated based on your current weight. But if you are weight training you may want to get more.

Does your Protein goal decrease as your weight goes down? I know my nutritionist used my weight to calculate my Protein goal, so I'm wondering if I'll have to adjust the goal as time goes on? Will I not need as much?

My nutritionist told me mine would decrease. That proper protein intake is calculated based on your current weight. But if you are weight training you may want to get more.

Yeah, I thought it made sense that it would, but we'll see what my NUT says later on. I'm not in any hurry to eat LESS protein.

My first week postop I was getting between 350-450 calories per day on Clear Liquids. I added smooth liquids on Tuesday which included puréed creamed Soups, drinkable yogurt, ect. I have gotten between 600-800 calories a day by adding those. I intentionally chose some of the higher calorie soups because I felt I needed the extra calories. Such as a bean and bacon cream Soup and New England clam chowder. I am also adding a tablespoon of unflavored Protein Powder to my 1 cup serving to that extra little 5 gr of Protein.

Sarah51692,

It sounds like your nutritionist is right. If you’re getting so few calories, you’re definitely getting few enough to lose weight. At that level of calories and at this point in your WLS journey, it’s really much more important to get enough fluids and Protein. Cutting back by a couple hundred calories to stay at 550-600 instead of 700 and in the process giving yourself a Protein deficiency is really counterproductive.

Good luck!

Does your Protein goal decrease as your weight goes down? I know my nutritionist used my weight to calculate my Protein goal, so I'm wondering if I'll have to adjust the goal as time goes on? Will I not need as much?

I think the theory is that your set point (the point at which your body is satisfied it's getting enough protein and is not starving) is pretty much based on your highest weight and is very hard to change. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of how it's supposed to work.

I think the theory is that your set point (the point at which your body is satisfied it's getting enough Protein and is not starving) is pretty much based on your highest weight and is very hard to change. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of how it's supposed to work.

Huh! That is very interesting! I could definitely see that being a reason. Plus, if my NUT is saying 62 or so minimum for me and the absolute minimum for females is 50, then mine couldn't really lower that much anyway.

Sarah51692,

It sounds like your nutritionist is right. If you’re getting so few calories, you’re definitely getting few enough to lose weight. At that level of calories and at this point in your WLS journey, it’s really much more important to get enough fluids and Protein. Cutting back by a couple hundred calories to stay at 550-600 instead of 700 and in the process giving yourself a Protein deficiency is really counterproductive.

Good luck!

Thanks! I definitely see your point. I'm trying harder not to focus on those extra calories since either way, it's low enough to lose weight. I've been hitting my protein goal almost every day this past week - so I definitely consider that a win.

@@ShrinkingPeach

I've only hit my Protein goal one day so far since surgery, so I'm not doing too good on that front. I bought some unflavored Protein powder, added it to my crystal light, and it tasted disgusting. Plus it wasn't even near what the serving was supposed to be! So I need to work up the courage to try to add it to something else.

@@Babbs

Thanks for the guide! I feel better knowing I seem to be in that range, even if it seems impossible to get all my Protein in with that range.

I am also struggling with trying to get enough fluids, but I am doing two 6 oz Protein shakes per day at 23 grams protein each. Then I will blend a nonfat greek yogurt (18 grams protein) with less than half a scoop (about 10 grams protein) of Jay Robs vanilla egg white protein powder, and a tbsp of unsweetened almond milk. So all three have a combined total of about 75 grams of protein per day and total approx. 550 calories. Yes, your Protein drinks count as fluids. I also think it is very important in the beginning to focus on getting your protein in which may increase your calories, but you are healing from surgery and trying to maintain your energy :)

I've been reading a lot of the posts here about the trouble y'all have with Protein drinks and fluids. The Protein Drinks can they be made with anything other then Water - example 1%/skim milk or almond milk - I really really hate them made with Water, and I do NOT like crystal light, or any of those kinda drink mixes - I don't like the aftertaste. I drink Protein now because I have the lapband atm and I'm going to the sleeve.

Thank you for any advice...