Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I eating not eating enough?!

Hello, I was sleeved June 1st, so I am 15 days out from surgery. I am still mostly on a liquid diet, I just added in a little bit of plain yogurt and no sugar added apple sauce. I have lost 9.6lbs since surgery, I feel like this is kind of low. Anyway, the point of this post: I am eating about 350 calories a day; is this too low, should I be eating more? Could this be why I am not losing more weight? I do hit my Protein goal every day and always drink at least 60oz of Water. I don't feel deprived or hungry really, so I have never wanted to eat more. What do you guys think? Am I not eating enough? Could the low calorie intake be why I am not losing as quickly or dramatically as most Sleevers do? Or is this normal? Thanks!!!

I was doing around 400-500

My lowest amount at any point past soft foods was 600 calories.

My lowest amount at any point past soft foods was 600 calories.

Yea I am not at the soft food phase yet, I have just started puréed foods. Thank you both for your responses, but my really question is whether or not my low calorie diet is actually preventing me from losing more weight. Should I be eating more, or is this rate of weight loss normal?

As a health coach, I would say yes. Your body could be putting itself in starvation mode with calories that low. In my opinion, calories should fall between 600 & 800. I was sleeved on 6/8 and have been getting close to 800 because I want it to effect my metabolism as little as possible. Are you getting any exercise? You want to try to keep any muscle mass that you have, that will also help your calorie burn. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck, sweetie!

Natalie

On liquids, with the calories I was getting from Protein drinks, Soups, etc.. I think I was at about 500. With soft/purees I tried to up it to 600-700. I was also worried about not getting enough calories, rather than getting to many.

9-10 lbs in 2 weeks is a good loss! Stop the comparisons... it will only discourage you. Follow your plan, get in your Protein and fluids, and your body will drop the weight.

As a health coach, I would say yes. Your body could be putting itself in starvation mode with calories that low. In my opinion, calories should fall between 600 & 800. I was sleeved on 6/8 and have been getting close to 800 because I want it to effect my metabolism as little as possible. Are you getting any exercise? You want to try to keep any muscle mass that you have, that will also help your calorie burn. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck, sweetie!

Natalie

Yes I exercise too. I go to the gym at least 3 days per week and I also go hiking 1-2 days per week. Before surgery I also attended a high intensity interval training class 3 days a week. My trainer said I can join the class again when I am a month out from surgery. At that point I will be doing the class 3 days a week, gym 2 a week, and hiking 1 a week. So yea I try to move as much as possible.

On liquids, with the calories I was getting from Protein drinks, Soups, etc.. I think I was at about 500. With soft/purees I tried to up it to 600-700. I was also worried about not getting enough calories, rather than getting to many.

9-10 lbs in 2 weeks is a good loss! Stop the comparisons... it will only discourage you. Follow your plan, get in your Protein and fluids, and your body will drop the weight.

Thanks you guys for the words or encouragement! I know I should stop worrying, but I just want to get this right. I can't wait until I feel fit, healthy and satisfied with myself and what I accomplished. I don't want to mess it up from the get go!

Like natalie080, I tried to NOT limit my calories. I didn't want my body and metabolism to get used to a low intake. However, I did not count or measure anything, either. I never let calories dictate what or how much I ate. I just concentrated on eating healthy....a balance of Protein, veggies, fruit and eventually grains.

But I do know in the early days, some of my Protein smoothie concoctions had 300-400 calories each (and I was drinking 1-2/ day in addition to eating other stuff). I'd say I never got less than 500 calories, and was up to 800 calories within the first month and 1000 calories by 3-4 months.

And as for your rate of weight loss, don't worry so much about the numbers. They don't mean shit at this point. I weighed exactly the same on day 11 as I did on surgery day. I didn't weigh again until 7 weeks. The scale didn't help me lose 100 pounds. I did that! so stay off the scale for a month and discover the thrill of NSV's!

Edited by Kindle

OK gotcha.... Everyone is different... I was eating that amount of calories for a while. My number just recently increased up to 800. I believe my low calorie intake was due to not being able to tolerate anything really.... meat in particular. So I was eating light Greek yogurt with unflavored Unjury giving me 30 grams of Protein per yogurt cup... I had 2 of those a day given me my daily minimum of 60grams. Inbetween that I would have some type of fruit or veggie..... From what Ive read a stall is no weight loss for 3-4 weeks..... And I didn't hit any... The longest period I had euthanize weight loss was about a week. On June 27th I will 5 months post op and down 80 since surgery and including my 3 month preop diet I'm down 100. I started at 293. Surgery weight was 273 and my current weight is 193. My goal was 155. I would post pics but I don't know how to on posts lol. If you go to my profile they should pop up... I think I might look too small at that weight because I am 5'8". The only advice I can give is to listen to your body, aim for 60-80 grams of protein and get in 48-64 ounces of Water. My doc suggested that per serving my fat intake be 3 grams or less and my sugar be 5 grams or less.....I believe the week I didn't lose anything was because that week those numbers increased... So for the long post lol... Was trying to get everything out lmao ???? good luck on your journey ????

I figured it out lol... The pics are me at 273 & 196.... I'm not at goal weight but still proud of what came off with the sleeve......

post-231040-14345424574711_thumb.jpg

196.....these photos were taken on June 6th....I believe I have lost a couple more pounds ????

post-231040-14345427324739_thumb.jpg

Edited by shannalynne

Personally I find that that when I up my calorie intake I start to lose weight more quickly. Even now at 9 months and at my goal weight, with the doctor telling me to stop losing weight. With eating normally I am losing. I would up your calorie intake as it seems very low now. Even in full liquids I was taking in 500-600 calories. Good luck

Personally I find that that when I up my calorie intake I start to lose weight more quickly. Even now at 9 months and at my goal weight, with the doctor telling me to stop losing weight. With eating normally I am losing. I would up your calorie intake as it seems very low now. Even in full liquids I was taking in 500-600 calories. Good luck

Thank you all!!! I think you guys are probably right. In general I shouldn't worry about what the scale says right now, but it's so hard!!! Also, I probably need to up my calorie intake. I have an appointment with my NUT and my Dr tomorrow so I am going to go over all of this with them and get some answers. Thanks you guys! Today I will try to eat more, especially since it's a gym day!