Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a 48 year old big gal. I have always felt fabulous about myself, but I'm at an age where health risks if obesity scare me. I have a 41 BMI. I have lost weight before but ate it all back plus. I want to do this. I just made appointment with my internist to get the ball rolling. What is a general time frame from first general appointment to surgery day? I am asking for RNY. I was looking for some thing like bariatric for dummies. Lol I think I will like this better.

It completely depends on your insurance requirements. Mine "Medica" had a 6 month supervised diet so by the time I got all the appointments with nutritionists, bariatricians, stress test sect., it was actually almost 9 months to the day.

Best to call your insurance and get very clear about their requirements.

I am glad I had that time because there were a lot of habits I was able to work on during that time.

Good luck to you!

I have Cigna who requires 3 month diet. On my first appt, they told me probably 5 months from first meeting to surgery. It actually was slightly shorter. First appt with surgeon was Jan. 20; surgery was June 4. I actually could have gone a week or so earlier but I had some work issues I needed to work around. I had insurance approval on May 1 BUT I did all my appts very quickly and stayed on top of everything. Cigna only requiring 3 months diet really helped.

I have BCBSMN and I am about to be done with my 6 months of monitored weight loss, I have my Upper GI, EKG, Nutritional appointment, and my psych evaluation on Thursday, and then after all that they submit to insurance. My Surgeon said hopefully by beginning of August I'll have my date. I started on Feb 12 2015

I had a 3 months wait/program to follow prior to surgery.

My insurance requires 6 months of supervised diet and covers at 50%.

Going to use this time to lose as much as I can on my own and still qualify for surgery.....and get adjusted to new way of eating as much as I can.

I guess the only way to get there is to start. Thanks all.

The time frame varies from a few weeks to 6 months + (to years).

The variables are insurance coverage/requirements, a battery of testing requirements, financing, and your readiness.

If you are new to this process I would definitely recommend you do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. RNY is just one option.

I was sleeved on April 20 of this year and couldn't be happier.

I made a call to my insurance carrier Federal BC/ BS...oh so very much information. Seems like all hospitals farther away.

I have FEPBlue aka Fed BC/BS basic. There is a 3 month nutrition requirement, 2 year weight history, psychological exam, and letter of necessity. Your surgeon may also require other test such as EKG, endoscopy, labs, sleep study. It is best if you have it a blue distinction center, they pay more.