Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2003 bandsters...

:D Hey August banders, I got banded last week, before the surgery I was trying not to eat then gave in 3 days before, and munched out but didn't feel good about it. Remember not to eat 12+ hours before surgery. What made my surgery calm was the doctor had some low music on and I kept jokeing with the pre-op staff and I felt very ready. Now I'm not hungry at all, food isn't applealing, I'v droped 7 lbs. I'm Jazzed. Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

Vera

J C,

Poor Wayne didn't have much time to think about it! I had been telling him about it for about 6 months. We were scheduled to go on vacation July 28, on July 25 he agreed to go ahead and have the surgery, (our ins. doesn't cover and he was thinking it was too expensive). I spent all day on the phone the 25th, changed all our plans and we headed out to Monterrey July 27th. So he only had a week, I'm sure he wondered what whirlwind he had fallen into.

He is doing very good though, hopes to continue to lose 1-2 lbs a week and will reach his goal by 1 year anniversary.

We do have one little blurb, tho. Looks like his port site may have lost a stitch or so and the port is "pokin" out a bit. You can see the bulge under his t-shirts. I have a msg into the Dr. and may take some pics to send them. I'm sure at the worst they would do a local and straighen it out, if anything.

Love the Cleveland Clinic, Weston, (whole other experience)

I see this thread is picking up. Good Stuff. Everybody say a little prayer for Alex this morning. We hope you are recovering well, and banded.

I'll tell you all what. Cleveland Clinic wants us to drink Protein shakes 2 weeks prior. Man, it's hard to keep up. At first, those shakes taste yummy. By the time you have had 4 or 5 of them, they taste like crap. Anybody found a shake that actually taste good?

:D Hey I was just getting here.LOL the forum anyway. My procedure was easy. Post op no problems either. If I didn't no better I'd wonder if we done anything down there..;.l.

I have lost a few lbs.

Bowel movements slow.

Eating to good.

Getting or trying to get Water.< /p>

Scared I'm eating to much..

Hi August bandsters add me to the list.I was banded Aug 4th.I went for my post op visit on Mon. and am scheduled for a fill on 9/19/03.I have lost 8lbs.Had surgery on monday and returned to work on Thursday and Fri. hit all the used car lots and brought a van.Then on the 15th went on a 4 day vacation to Wisconsin.I'm feeling great. Roxanne

So glad about those of you who are doing well. Anyone heard from Alex? I am starting to get really nervous and it's difficult to think of much else. Especially work.

Nancy

i am an august bandster! i was banded 8-18 and i posted a new thread with my experience so hopefully it will be helpful to ya'll. i was banded monday and camed back to work today (friday) and i am still sore and in pain. but i'll make it!

325-318-175

Hi August Band Buddies! I've been posting elsewhere so don't worry about me. My experience was way less elaborate than what some others have to go through:

-No pre-op diet of any kind; fasting from midnight the night before.

-Arrival at hospital, checked my vitals, started IV, heparin shot in belly.

-Surgery started at 8:45 a.m., was out and awake by 10:00 a.m.

-X-ray test for leaks with some horrifying concoction that almost made me barf, but I passed with flying colors

-We left hospital at 1:00 p.m.

It sounds like a breeze, but the anesthesia itself was what knocked me out for two days. I'm still getting over it!

Now I'm starting full fluids but very cautiously; I can feel a lump-in-my-throat sort of feeling which I'm told is completely normal. Aside from that I'm just achy and sleepy and need to get moving a little more.

:D lets keep this one going folks I'll be watching too. I had no problems

9:30 Admitted

10:30 Happy shot

11:30 Banded

1:00 Woke up

3:30 On my way home

Soreness in my tummy minimal. Riding in vehicle made me a little wheezy. Gas pains the worste for me.

POINT- Follow your diets by Dr. I didn't and have nothing but worried myself to death. I' fine now as I believe I am okay because I eat only 3/4 to a cup of soft food and it fills me a good long time. I drink well before I eat and not after for atleast an hour. If you cheat you will worry, worry, worry and your Dr. will chew you out too. My eating is on track now and there is no way I'm not shedding pounds. I stay off the scales as I plan to weigh every two weeks. I am up to walking 2 1/2 miles now at the park. I'm hoping for a nice surprise when I weigh next.

I'm August 28. Ready to get it over with. Just want to wake up from anesthesia! Praying for no complications. Sick of the pre-op diet, which is about to get even more obnoxious -- Clear Liquids only two days prior. Thanks for posting your experience, Alexandra. It helps so much! Good luck to the dolphins fan...from this falcon fanatic! Elizabeth

I was banded August 19th (5 days ago). I wish I would have found this website before I had the surgery, it has answered soooo many questions that I had prior to having it. If I can answer any questions about what to expect the week of/week after surgery, I would be happy to.

Brandi

Hi, Brandi! Welcome to the August Bandsters. How are you feeling?

Today I felt 100% better than yesterday, and tomorrow I know I'll feel even better. My tummy is sore, of course, but I have way more energy than earlier. I can see the sun shining!! :D

Hey Alexandra!

Every day is 100% better for me. I've stopped taking my pain medicine (except to go to sleep). It's hard for me to get comfortable enough to sleep.

Does your doctor require clear liquids for 2 full weeks? Mine does, but everything I'm reading says 5-7 days. I've read some people are doing full liquids after only 2 or 3 days. I'm scared to try it, but I'm also HUNGRY!!!!!

Brandi

My doctor's instructions are really fairly loose. They state clear liquids for only 1-2 days, followed by 3-5 days of full liquids. There's a stern warning to drop back a step if anything feels uncomfortable or if I get nauseated. Assuming all goes well, by my one-week appointment they expect me to be on mushy foods. That stage they'd like me to stick to for another two weeks or so.

No question: a Protein shake or some cream of chicken Soup will really put some bounce back into your step. I even had a half a cup of coffee this morning! Yee--haa!! :D

I found that once I got moving again (yesterday) I was finally able to sleep well at night. Sitting around all day moaning does NOT make for a good night's sleep. I did really well last night with just Tylenol, and I've started back on my Vitamin E (which I strongly believe has healing powers). I'll be full force tomorrow!!

COOL ALEX, so glad to hear you are doing well. I get banded Friday. Nervous as hell, but I just found out that I have already met my $250 deductible, and my secondary insurance is taking care of my out of pocket expenses. HELL YEAH, I won't have to pay anything else.

I am so glad to hear of all of these successful procedures in the last cou0ple of weeks. I just want to get this over with.

Good luck to you all.

PS, sorry I haven't posted much, I've been too busy here at work to spare the time.