Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Thank you for letting me know

@@shizwiz, believe me, you won't need tears, you'll be able to eat what you want in no time, but unlike before, you'll be happy with just a few bites instead of a few plates (or I was at least). I do have the meal package that a lighter me sells for after surgery that I am trying to give away for nothing more than reimbursment of the postage. If you would like I can send it to you, the only thing in it I used was the Protein Powder, the rest is all there. It was $300 and the thought of throwing it away does not make me happy.. It gives you packages of food you can eat for the first month post op. I had offered it to someone else but they haven't sent me their address and I'll be in the US next week and can mail it from there, if not, it's going to go in the garbage. I had my surgery in September, so it's still very fresh!

As for the pre-op diet, if you are too strick with yourself you might just scream and give in to temptation. Speak to Ronda, she said a salad with Protein (chicken or steak) with a low fat/calorie salad was just fine. I split mine in two and had a portion for lunch and part for supper. I too thought the pre-op diet would kill me, and although I did lose like 5-10 pounds on it, I did it the best I could, and didn't throw in the towel if I deviated from it a little bit.

Edited by Cody's mom

Edited by sprocket

@@Cody's mom SO glad to hear that you made it through the pre-op just fine! Is Ronda a coordinator? I am working with Katy, but unless I call her or something I don't really hear from her.

Thank you for the offer for the package of post op stuff. I think I will be OK, I do not do well with the pre-packaged foods. My boyfriend and I did Medifast for a long time and if I never see another packet of pudding or Soup again, I will be happy! But thank you SO much for offering :)

Just waiting for the shuttle from the hotel to OCC for my leak test and drain removal. Can't wait for the drain to come out - it's become pinchy feeling. Then, barring issues, it's off to the airport. I'll be so happy to be in my own home and bed and shower. ???? Everything's been very nice here, but there's nothing like home.

ETA: drain is out (weird!) and leak test went well. Yay!

Waiting for our flight at the airport now.

Crossing the border was an experience. Hundreds of people in line. We were able to move to the front because Omar put me in a wheelchair and a nice man pushed it for me while the others in our group pulled bags. Win win for all of us. Until agents decided to search one of our group, but that was cleared up fast.

Edited by sprocket

Hey Guys!  Yet another newbie!! 

Would a departing flight of 1:40 pm be pushing it??? I guess it would depend on the amount  of people they have to post-op test!  I am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on Jan 13th.  Trying to figure out the flight plan.  Also, praying for NO delayed/cancelled flights!!!  THanks for your help guys!!

Hey Guys! Yet another newbie!!

Would a departing flight of 1:40 pm be pushing it??? I guess it would depend on the amount of people they have to post-op test! I am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on Jan 13th. Trying to figure out the flight plan. Also, praying for NO delayed/cancelled flights!!! THanks for your help guys!!

We were told not to book our flight earlier than 3 pm. It's not such an issue for post-op tests (those go fast), it's more the possible delays at crossing the border back into the US.

We were told not to book our flight earlier than 3 pm. It's not such an issue for post-op tests (those go fast), it's more the possible delays at crossing the border back into the US.

My flight was at 3:05, and we got to the airport at approximately 1 pm and we left at around 11:45 am (driver was running a little later because he had to drop off patients at occ)

If your flight is at 3 it's fine, gives you a 2 hours buffer, the line for Americans to go through the border is shorter and I waited until I was in the building before showing my border crossing letter. There were several people who's flight didn't meet the timeline and they were accommodated

I would contact your coordinator and ask before booking anything

Well I am scheduled for same day surgery with Dr. Ortiz on Dec11. Time is getting short. I read on a lot of different forums the positive experiences people have had with ALM. I only told my sister and my friend who is going with me. I did mention to two other friends the possibility of having weight-loss surgery and they were supportive but I never told them I made the arrangements or that I was actually going to do it. Have not told my parents or any other members of my family. They have just been observing that I have been trying to lose weight and have cut back on my eating. That was my plan for work as well. So when I start losing weight, it won't be much of a surprise. We shall see. Keep me in your prayers.

@@shizwiz, I completely understand. I to this day still can't drink Protein either in powder or in liquid form.

Ronda is the patient care person, she'll send you your meal plans. Good luck!

The pre-op diet I have indicates you can have salad for one meal or split it up into two meals. I know about the shakes and the Jello and the popsicles, but what about the diet with the 6 oz of Protein. What did you/are you going to eat or did eat when in pre-op? I start next Friday and I don't want to mess this up?

@@Ronab I am going to do chicken, eggs or lean beef (like sirlion tips). In my client packet they wrote an example:

SAMPLE SALAD: 2 cups spinach, 1/2 zucchini, 1/4 cauliflower, 1/2 summer squash, 1 Tomato, 4 green onions, 1/2 cucumber, 1 egg, 1/2 cup rinsed canned kidney Beans, 1/4 each red, green, yellow and orange pepper. Maybe even some sprouts. Topped with the chicken and your favorite dressing and split into thirds.
This method is okay also… A shake in the morning...1/3 of the salad around 11, 1/3 around 1.30 and the last around 4 pm with the shake at 6.30 pm and if needed one more shake later.

I will probably cut out the cauliflower (YUCK!) and the peppers (eew) and add a bit more of the veggies I like. I found a low carb oil & vinegar dressing at the grocery store and will use that to top it off :) And I will probably have a shake in the morning, 1/3 of the salad + shake for lunch, then the rest of the salad for dinner. If I am still hungry, I can always have the third shake, some Jello, etc.

I am super worried about the clear liquid days, though. I guess I will have to deal with that when I get there :/

I have been having a shake for brekkie and lunch (LOVE the GNC Total Lean 25 Chocolate) and snacking on raw almonds or beef jerky...but I am afraid that all broth/jello/clear liquids will make me turn into a butthead. Oh well. lol.

Oh, also want to add this part of their pre-op:

14 Days Prior to Surgery

Do not smoke.

Follow Pre-Op Diet below:

Use any premixed canned or powdered Protein Drink that contains at least 15 grams of Protein. You may purchase these in any health food store or many grocery stores. Wal-Mart EAS pre mix is excellent for pre op but BIO CHEM is great powder for after surgery.

Breakfast: 1 protein drink

Lunch: 1 protein drink

Dinner: salad with Protein 6 oz for women…8 oz for men (chicken, fish, egg, etc.), small amount of low-fat or fat-free dressing, or olive oil and vinegar.

Evening Snack: 1 protein drink (if needed).

You may also take 1 Metamucil capsule per day for hunger (if needed).

I bought some store brand Metamucil and take it with my lunch and a bottle of Water. I don't know if it is all in my mind...but it does help with hunger (for me!). I know it has psyllium husk in it, which expands in your stomach making you feel fuller. Probably TMI (or not), but I thought Metamucil would make me need to use the bathroom alot...it does not- which is good!

I tried the EAS drinks...they are OK, too. For some reason, the GNC Lean 25's keep me fuller than Premeir Protein (30g of protein). I have no idea how that works, but I will roll with it.

Good luck! WE GOT THIS!