Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodbye to beer and pizza?

I am 6 months out...almost 170 lbs down. I have had pizza and beer twice since the surgery. Was not a big deal. Nutritionally there is not much there so I would prefer my high Protein foods. It is nice to have a cold brew once in a while. I have avoided soft drinks and will continue to do so.

Good stuff. I'll try the pizza recipe and the unbreaded Gen Tso chicken for sure. I'm sure that "NEVER" is an overstatement and I'll be able to eat things. Since everyone says that your tastes change, I may not even like certain things anymore. I can live without beer (Scotch and Bourbon on the other hand.... not so sure about).

As a family with have a few staples that we eat when we just don't want to cook. pizza, Tijuana Flats (Mexican) with lots of chips and queso, Five Guys, Mellow Mushroom... I'll need to find things at these places that I can eat.

I'm ready to give things up. The long list is very true. "Tie my shoes without losing my breath or overeat?"

I had my first slice of pizza in years at the year and a half mark after surgery. I ate about half a slice over the course of 45 minutes. It was pretty darn good and fortunately given how long I took to eat my piece everyone else managed to eat the rest of the pie before I could go for a second. I'm not big on drinking, so skipping out on beer hasn't been hard for me.

I am 6 months out...almost 170 lbs down. I have had pizza and beer twice since the surgery. Was not a big deal. Nutritionally there is not much there so I would prefer my high Protein foods. It is nice to have a cold brew once in a while. I have avoided soft drinks and will continue to do so.

I gave up sodas a couple years ago. I mean, I have one occasionally but I choose tea or Water over soda.

It think it'll be interesting to see what it takes to get me buzzed post op. Scotch and Bourbon would normally think 2 - 3 finger drinks. I'll save a small fortune in booze.

I gave up sodas a couple years ago. I mean, I have one occasionally but I choose tea or Water over soda.

It think it'll be interesting to see what it takes to get me buzzed post op. Scotch and Bourbon would normally think 2 - 3 finger drinks. I'll save a small fortune in booze.

I totally hear you. When I was at my highest weight drinking beer didn't do anything to me unless I got into the 7 or 8 range. I had a beer twice and I felt it (very light buzz.) Best of luck to you on your weight loss :)

To clarify, I had gastric bypass --- this surgery can be greatly affected by early pouch stretching. After 18 months, some pouch stretching is normal, but it is possible to stretch it with continuous poor eating and lots of pop and beer.

I think that "the list" is a good one -- I feel so lucky to have been able to have this surgery. I will lose lots of weight over the next year, but am very aware that after that, if I let poor choice creep in, I can blow this.

Good topic -- started with a little beer and pizza!!!

If you like mushrooms, then you can always satisfy your pizza cravings with a mushroom crust pizza. It's much much lower in calories and tastes like heaven.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Personal-Portobello-Pizza/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=portobello%20mushrooms%20pizza&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe&soid=sr_results_p1i3

Just swap the full fat items with low cal/fat alternatives. I used low fat mozzarella, low Cal pizza sauce, turkey bacon, reduced fat sausage and olives

Edited by SoulGlo

I"ve def still had a LOT of beer - just not as much of it.

Now I get tipsy from 2 instead of 6 - but other than that I can still have it - just gotta drink slowly!

As for the pizza, just limit yourself to one (or half - that's all i can stomach) of a slice at a time

Those were the 2 hardest things for me to give up. I have had a slice of pizza here and there already but no beer.

Took the hubby out for his birthday this past April and had a delicious meal in Toronto at a fab restaurant that featured an onsite craft brewery. So many amazing beers to choose from!

I ordered a pint of gorgeous lager, forgetting completely as we "cheers"d" that I had been banded only 3 months prior. This was my first post-WLS beer. What happened next was hysterical.

Took a BIG "pre-WLS" swig of ice cold beer (delicious!), swallowed, and within seconds felt as though a Water balloon had exploded behind my ribcage. No pain, just a WHOOMP of frothy Fluid coming' right back on up my throat.

My eyes got huge, my eyebrows shot up, I pressed my lips together so as not to firehose the birthday boy and squeaked in alarm. My husband took one look at me and yelled "SHE'S GONNA BLOW!" My mouth filled with frothy beer (I swear it tripled in volume coming up). I looked a sight - my cheeks were puffed out to capacity, lips bursting to spray with the very beer that had just gone down.

Now I should say that this was as completely painless as it was hilariously inconvenient. I was laughing through the whole thing as I desperately tried to retain this carbonated frothing mass in my mouth while attempting to breath sloooooowly through my nose, trying to re-swallow the now warm beer in tiny sips.

Yes, people were all around us, many wondering just what in the hell I was up to.

Phewf!

Managed to get it down (and not a drop lost!) but it took me over 30 minutes to finish that ONE pint of beer. My husband was incredulous. The "old" me would have slammed that pint and had another ordered before you could say "empty calories".

So beer is do-able. Kind of.

Loved the Professors story of the beer that came back up ! Its not the first time I've heard alcohol reacting like that, so as much as you want a beer your body may say otherwise. My story ? About 2 months banded, 3 tiny sips of a margarita, through a straw, ( no straws allowed ! ) plus a few tiny bites of mexican food. Uhhhhoooohhhhhhhhh !!!!!! Half came up in the restaurant bathroom, the rest horribly in the parking lot. Not.pretty.at.all. So if you are going to try a beer, or pizza, my suggestion would be to try it t home first. Good luck !!!

I probably have pizza at least once a week. My favorite is brick oven thin crust with Pep, Mush, and olives. I can usually only eat 3/4 of a slice and I have about 2 bites of the crust as they put this amazing garlic on it. Love it!!! I also have a family that eats out a lot and pizza is easy to bring home left overs. My last food funeral meal was a Red Robin Teriyaki Burger with fries. I am not sorry I did as I haven't been to RR in 7 months and wouldn't be able to eat a burger like that now without throwing 3/4 of it away.

I am not a drinker so that was easy to give up. I know for many it's beer and wine. I am sure once in a while you can have it.

Good luck on your journey-

LA

There IS beer and pizza on the other side. :-P But, you may find that you don't really care about beer and pizza anymore. At least, I didn't. I'm not a beer lover, but pizza WAS one of my all time favorites.

I didn't try either for at least the 1st 6 months post-op. bread would do a real number on Frankensleeve and he didn't appreciate it one bit! So I was only doing test bites, here and there, from 2 months to 1 year post-op, of all kinds of foods.

But by the end of the 1st year, I could safely eat pizza and slowly drink (because of carbonation) a beer. I just didn't have any real desire for either. Once I got into the habit of trying to get as much nutrition per bite of food - because of the limits on how much I could eat per meal - I felt that pizza and beer (plus a lot of other foods) were empty calories and I just didn't want them anymore.

I have had pizza several times mostly without crust just toppings. When I do endulge the crust I am very careful and chew chew and chew and chew some more. I get fuller faster with eating the crust. Also I have made low carb Pizza Crust with eggs and mozzarella cheese. There are options for pizza cravings. I don't drink beer so I can't help on that. Best of luck to you.

Rose

I still drink beer. VSG has changed my philosophy on beer from "quantity" to "quality." Instead of a six pack of some crap beer, I'll have 2 or 3 quality microbrews and call it good. My surgeon's RN would probably smack me for that because the calories are still pretty high, but I like beer, and she doesn't need to know. :)

Haven't tried pizza yet--no real desire for it. I could probably do a really thin crust pizza or just pick off the toppings, but there's really no point in trying to eat the crust. It's not going to fit. haha.