Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reflux, lapband, and Sertraline (zoloft) issues

I spoke to the NP about potential problems having an endoscopy while banded. She said that I would have to be completely unfilled which I probably should have anticipated (but didn't).

She did question the need for the procedure because she had never heard of Zoloft or Celebrex causing damage to the esophagus or stomach nor did she think that having a much smaller stomach would result in a greater possibility of damage.

So to bolster my case, I told her about taking Indocin for 2 years, which a pharmacist told me is the NSAID that is hardest on the stomach (he said that it "eats stomach lining"). She wasn't impressed so I had to confess that in 1981 I deliberately overdosed on medication including 200 aspirin and spent 2 days in ICU (I'm bipolar).

I see the surgeon on the last day of August where I may have to tell all despite my shame. I never spoke this aloud to anyone, but I was bulimic for 20+ years. I lost 103 pounds in 1980 and became bulimic in an attempt to keep it off. That can't be good for the stomach............

I thought I was totally alone in this whole zoloft situation. I was taking generic zoloft prior to being banded with no problems. After being banded the company that makes the generic brand changed the shape of the pills. I was having the same sort of burning extreme pain/heartburn feeling that has been described in this thread. I had the pharmacy change me back to the old style generic pills, which are thinner than the newer style and that seemed to work. Prior to that I tried cutting them in half, taking them with milk, and eating with, before, and or after taking the pill and nothing worked. Thankfully I found something that did work.

I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one with these problems!

I've been on Zoloft for 10 years so I didn't want to stop as this has always worked so well for me. About a week before I was banded, I started taking the liquid Zoloft. The stuff taste so bad so I had to find the best solution to get it down. Now, each night before I go to bed, I add the liquid dose to a small glass of low acid orange juice. It's the only way I can get it down. Works great for me.

Hi all -- I was hoping to revive this thread to see if a) others share this issue and :) any solutions exist that work. I take generic zoloft (sertaline), and have had terrible problems since the band -- more so since the band started working well. My symptoms are intense heartburn and dry heaves -- can't get anything out and it feels like my whole stomach is trying to get out of my belly! I'm pretty tolerant to pain -- Getting stuck, PBs and Sliming are merely irritants to me, although not the most pleasant feeling, for sure -- but the pain to Zoloft is intense enough that I am getting worried. So far, I've been taking it at night, cut in 1/2 - then I started taking only 1/2 dosage. Still painful. Next, I'll try taking it in the morning with some yoghurt - and may well try liquid form.

Anyone else with this? In case it doesn't get better, what subsitute has worked for others?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Danielle

OMG I thought I was the only one too. I talked to my dr about it and they told me to break it in half and that didn't work so I got the liquid form. OMG that was the most horrific thing I have ever tasted in my life. So, I went back to the pills and I have been so bad lately about taking it. I usually take it every other day instead of ever day.

Ok so I haven't had a chance to read all of your replies yet because I was so excited to hear I wasn't the only one! :) so off i go...

Oh WOW, I was certain this was just me! Yes, I take my Zoloft at night and it is like swallowing flaming hot pokers a few minutes later. I've learned that I MUST take it with mouthfull of food. Somehow that insulates it as it goes down. I just take a bite of food, chew it up, then pop the pill in my mouth beforeI swallow. That is the only way I can do it. If I am too full or it's too late for even a biteful of food -- I just skip the pill for the day. It is not worth the intense fiery pain!

ME TOO! I thought it was just me, but I never take Sertaline on an empty stomach now. Even unfilled (band emptied in January due to vomiting during sleep and coughing), it still hurts if I don't take it with food. I'm actually going to switch to Cymbalta to see if it helps. I take the Sertaline for pain control (I have Fibromyalgia), but they are saying Cymbalta is better. Let's hope it's not like swallowing barb wire!

I've been taking 150 mg of Zoloft for 3 years, and I'm snapping a 100 mg tab in half -- that makes sense... I'm going to talk to my surgeon about it, but I think probably my band has slipped.

I was banded in May 08 and began taking Zoloft (50 mg) in Dec. Within 5 minutes of taking it the fire began and I spent some time vomiting and sliming. A few more doses and I realized the extreme reflux must be from the pill. I've tried taking it with a Protein Drink but still experience the firey pain. I specifically came looking at the threads here to see if anyone else experiences the problem. I will try taking it with yogurt and see what happens.

I was banded in May 08 and began taking Zoloft (50 mg) in Dec. Within 5 minutes of taking it the fire began and I spent some time vomiting and sliming. A few more doses and I realized the extreme reflux must be from the pill. I've tried taking it with a Protein drink but still experience the firey pain. I specifically came looking at the threads here to see if anyone else experiences the problem. I will try taking it with yogurt and see what happens.

Well hi there. I have been on sertraline for 8 years myself, and sometimes get a burning stomach in the evening after I take it, but never made the connection. I hope to be banded in February and guess I better find out about this now. Did you try taking it with your yogurt? Thanks.

I cannot believe that you are all experiencing problems like me! WOW -- I was beginning to think I was just a hypochondriac! I've had such stomach and back pain from the reflux and couldn't figure out why -- and this explains it -- I've been taking Zoloft (albeit 25mg) at night along with an antibiotic and 2 tylenol and wake up with the worst pain and this explains it. I'm just going to give my system a rest and stop taking meds at night for a while and see what happens.

Thank you all for sharing your stories.....i sure hope this is the solution to my chronic pain. I was considering having the band removed it has been so bad. Blessings to all of you....hope you feel better soon!

Edited by sunflwermin

Thank goodness for the internet. I used to be okay with Zoloft but after my doctor adjusted my band, I've been experiencing pain right after taking it. I thought at first it was reacting to my antibiotics but i've stopped it days ago but I still vomit and experience terrible pain right. I noticed it happens like a minute or maybe even less after taking Zoloft. Taking it with food makes no difference. At least now I know what is really going now. It's good to know I'm not the only one who experience(d) this.

I took Zoloft for about 5 years, then switched to Lexapro and I have been banded for 6 months and have no trouble taking it. I drink a cup of Decaf coffee in the morning and then take my pills. No problem.

If you have to switch lexapro is very much like zoloft with no bad side effects for me.

I haven't had any issues with taking Zoloft but I am so glad I read this thread as I feel reassured that there are others who take Zoloft long-term and are better for it!

I have been on it fo 7 years and can't imagine not taking it!

I have taken zoloft for over 10 years and would never stop taking it--life is too miserable without it. Unfortunately, about a month ago (banded 8 months) I had a bad episode with my daily zoloft dose (OMG the intense pain is unbearable!) and haven't been the same since.

I wish I had found this thread earlier on in my lapband journey!

Lessons learned on my own:

1. DON'T break the 100 mg pills in half--that just exposes the medication to your pouch.

2. An empty stomach doesn't make it easier for the pills to get through the stoma to your bigger (hardier--imo)stomach.

3. Something creamy like yogurt or pudding can help.

4. Saltine crackers seem to encase the pills and protect the pouch and stoma from the disolving pills.

5. Hot water/tea/coffee/soup doesn't relax the stoma and help the pills move through easier--it just helps disolve the pills faster= more intense pain.

6. Finally, your doctor can prescribe 50mg pills (you just take twice as many) and because they are so much smaller they do go down easier.

Still, since my worst zoloft episode about a month ago, I haven't been the same. I'm getting stuck/pbing almost every day. Every meal/snack feels like a game of Russian Roulette. It's like I've had a big fill and am way too tight--though I haven't had a fill in over three months. I've begun to wonder if the stoma has been damaged in some way or is still just inflamed and irritated? I do have an appointment to see my doctor next week to have everything checked out and perhaps to get a slight unfill.