Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No motivation...all hopes on lapband

Hey y'all - I have essentially given up on losing weight alone, and am putting all of my "eggs" in the lapband basket. Is this an ok mindframe to go into the lapband process?

I am so heavy that I have NO motivation to exercise....I have just given up, and I REALLY want the lapband to work.

I know that the lapband is a great tool, but it requires work on my part, too.

Can I just hear from some folks who have maybe felt the same?

Thanks a ton. ;)

I think to a certain degree it's a "last resort" for everyone. No one wants to have surgery and have something inside you for the rest of your life, unless you have absolutely no other choice. That being said, go for it, it'll change your life.

I weighed 305.5 when I went for my pre surgery consult with doc. I could not exercis because it HURT like hell. My knees hurt, my back hurt. Everything hurt. The only thing that did not hurt is sitting and eating!!!! I am almost down 50 pounds and feel great!!! I exercise ALL the time. I love it. At first I had to force myself. For like two weeks I did it because I knew I had to....my knee pain went away. Back pain went away. I now LOVE to exercise and when I am not doing it I am thinking about it. It is like my crack now. food was my crack, now exercise is. I really think that is a good trade off. Deanna

Good Luck! You can do it!

I agree, I think everyone feels that way. I know I thought well, I'll get the lapband and it'll be easy for me to lose weight and I won't have to work out. Not the case, you will need to exercise, but it is so much easier once some of the weight comes off. I've noticed in myself, instead of coming home after work and plopping on the couch, I'm much more active at night. Even if I don't exercise all week, I've probably been pretty active running around after work. Don't worry too much about it. Once the pounds come off, you'll have much more energy.

Lotsacurves,

I can relate to giving up on exercise. I too, hurt like hell when I attemt to do anything. Even walking from one end of the mall to the other hurts my knees. When I was much younger, I was an aerobic fiend. I pray that I lose enough to make me comfortable and enjoy that again. I also used to love to dance. Now the pool is the only thing I can do and not grimmace. I'll start with that and work my way up. Baby steps. One day at a time.

Lotsacurves,

I'm going to give you some words for thought, not necessarily an argument. I can totally relate to the lack of motivation to exercise and your feelings of wanting to give up.

I was there, but long before I decided to get the band. I researched the band for at least a year before deciding. When I finally decided to get the band it gave me hope it motivated me before I even got it. While researching, I knew that I had to be sure that this was for me and this was something I was going to be able to live with. So many other things had failed me, I wasn't going to go through surgery and have THAT fail me too. So I literally went into training before I had the surgery. I did my best to eat like a bandster BEFORE I was banded so that the rules weren't so hard to accomodate afterwards. I lost weight and I used that as motivation to show myself that I could do it. I didn't start exercising regularly until I was nearly 2 years out from surgery. So when you're body is better able to handle exercise and you find one that's right for you, you'll do it and it WILL feel like a drug (it feels good believe it or not).

Please don't go into surgery hoping that the surgery will somehow motivate you or kick start your mental gears into action. You'll have enough to deal with during recovery and learning how to live with your band. Go into the surgery confidant and knowing that this is for you, even if you have to take time and consider, learn about the procedure and it's post banding life.

I've seen so many here and on other forums who get banded who seem to be shocked afterward, that it isn't quite what they expected. They're angry, they're disappointed, they don't know what to do because it's not working just the way they thought.

Again, I'm not saying this to dissuade you or pick a fight with anyone. Only to think and to in some round about way, help you make a good decision for yourself.

Good Luck,

I agree and thats why i want to get the lapband since it will force me to eat better and also to get out and do more excerise etc. I hope to be banded later this summer or fall.

Chris

Pre Band

St. Louis

Personally, I think if you truly want to...you can still eat terrible all day and the band will do zero good.

It's easy to eat junk food all day and still keep intaking the calories.

I'm torn between believing that I needed this surgery to lose weight. I would agree, however, that the biggest reason I did it was that I had lost all hope and had no desire to put any effort into losing weight and since my insurance covered it...this was too easy to pass up.

In hindisight, I think it would be best to just give up on expecting quick diet fads or waiting for miracle pills. Exercise is important, but the true test of losing weight will be your eating choices and habits. It saddens me that it took a surgery for me to come to terms with that.

! Fat loss - Weight loss diet tips, programs and pills.< /a>

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more.

Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program

These are some great web sites to read that helped motivate me and put some things in perspective. Once I know exactly what I'm eating, it's hard for me now to just pop in sugary and fatty foods. It's just not worth it.

Good luck!

Please don't go into surgery hoping that the surgery will somehow motivate you or kick start your mental gears into action. You'll have enough to deal with during recovery and learning how to live with your band.

This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I want to know about! I guess I keep hearing fantastic things about the band, and I need to know the realistic side of things, too.

How do you get your head wrapped around eating right...when that's been the problem all along? :hungry: Isn't it kind of a catch 22?

Thanks again!

I can understand the "last resort" mentality but if you're depending on the band to do it for you, you're going to be disappointed. That just doesn't happen. You need to make the proper food choices. You need to make the decision to exercise. The band can't do that for you. I don't mean to sound harsh but unless you're willing to work it, you won't be happy with the results.

Hey y'all - I have essentially given up on losing weight alone, and am putting all of my "eggs" in the lapband basket. Is this an ok mindframe to go into the lapband process?

I am so heavy that I have NO motivation to exercise....I have just given up, and I REALLY want the lapband to work.

I know that the lapband is a great tool, but it requires work on my part, too.

Can I just hear from some folks who have maybe felt the same?

Thanks a ton. :)

I appreciate your honesty. I too have felt the same way. I will tell you that when you start feeling better, it will be hard until your first fill. Even from there, it is still hard. I am 6 weeks out and have lost 20 lbs. I had good restriction the first 3 weeks, this last 3 weeks, it has been hard. I got my first fill on Monday. I told my doctor that just using willpower is not my strong point! He told me to hang in there and it will work out!

Just be prepared for the hard times. I hate to sound negative, but it seems like other diets at times, HARD! My doctor assures me that it will get easier, and I trust him. I also know that no matter how hard it is, I could not have lost 20lbs in 6 weeks by myself!

Stay strong mentally, and YOU can do this!

Do you have a date set?