Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Enough Water

I bought two 24-ounce Tervis Tumblers (and handles) at Bed, Bath & Beyond; one for work and one for home. At least 45 minutes after Breakfast I fill one up with sugar-free, Decaf Crystal Light (or generic) iced tea (Mio works too) and sip it all morning, finishing up at least 30 minutes before lunch. At least 45 minutes after lunch, I fill another and sip it all afternoon. Then, at least 45 minutes after dinner I fill my last one at home and sip it all evening. That's 72+ ounces of Fluid every day! If I have to go somewhere, I bring my tumbler in the car with me. And if I'm hungry and it's not mealtime or snacktime, I drink even more. Remember, after weight loss surgery, hunger is usually thirst in disguise. If I'm going to a casual party where there won't be anything "appropriate" for me to drink, I bring along more Crystal Light in a cooler. Between the iced tea, coffee (yeah, I know), and my Protein shake, I'm easily getting in 120 oz. of Fluid per day. Try to make it a daily routine to help you meet your fluid goals every day. Good luck!!!

@@BLERDgirl

If you DO want a little flavor, but no sweetener or colors, try using extracts (not the artificial ones). I like peppermint, lemon, orange, but there are also almond, rum, maple.....lots of flavors. I use a tootpick, dip it about an inch in the bottle, then swish it in the Water bottle (with Water, of course!). A little goes a long ways, so be careful!

I actually like water so I'm good. On the rare occasion that I want flavor I have an infusion pitcher that I'll fill either with citrus fruits or cucumber and crushed mint leaves.

I used to love ice cold Water but 2 months post-op now I find that I can't stand drinking water that cold, so I just drink it without the ice and goes down much easier.

I have been using herbal teas to flavor my Water and have found some great flavors (peach, passion fruit, hibiscus, blueberry etc). No caffeine, no calories and natural. Steep a couple bags and then dilute with water. It is not sweet, but very refreshing and has helped me drink more water, especially iced - I highly recommend trying as there as so many different flavors.

@@KingMoose

So I saw my nurse today, and asked the question on getting too much Water. She said it is very difficult to get TOO much Water, but it is possible. I told her about your working out and sweating...and she still thought it would be nearly impossible for you to get too much. She suggested you have a blood test to see if you were dehydrated, if you were concerned. Your PCP would hopefully be better to direct your personal situation. Hope this helps...

Water toxicity is possible but only in extreme circumstance. You likely would have to literally drink you body weight in water .

For those of you struggling with Water try different varieties of bottled water/tap water/filtered water/etc. for whatever reason (minerals? Density?) our well water which is filtered and clean and tastes quite good, feels heavy in my stomach and makes me nauseated (never did pre sleeve) I drink bottled water and I am fine!

For me it's not so much I can't get enough down, I just forget it don't feel like drinking anything. I ALWAYS have something with me I just forget. Anyone else like this?

For me it's not so much I can't get enough down, I just forget it don't feel like drinking anything. I ALWAYS have something with me I just forget. Anyone else like this?

Yeah it's either that or having to pee all the time, LOL, one or the other!

Yeah. I sometimes have to set alarms on my phone. I fill my bottle first thing and make sure it's in eye sight. Even then if it's not an active day I'm barely getting in 4 -6 glasses. When I feel myself slipping like that I also make it a rule that I have to drink at least 8 ounce before a meal.