Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistic expectations

Hi,

I was banded August 31st, weighing 228. At the end of September I got my first fill of 1.5 cc, weighing 222. I'm due to see Dr. Billy tomorrow for my 2nd fill, and I've lost about 4.5 pounds, I'm at 217.4.

I feel like I don't have any restriction and can eat anything. I'm supposed to go for another fill tomorrow and am hoping this helps. It seems like others are really benefiting from this band, so far I'm less than impressed. I lost more weight on weight watchers! I am really watching what I eat, I exercise about 4-5 times a week, so I'm not sure what is going on. I'm actually eating less than I did on weight watchers and I'm losing less!

Can some of you please share your fill stats. I know we are all different, but I want to know what is a realistic fill before I really start to benefit from this band.

Thanks,

Debbie

Debbie, how tall are you? I'm no pro, especially since I've only had one fill, but 217 doesn't seem that heavy to me. Maybe you are losing slowly because you don't have much to lose? Then again, I'm a giant at 5'10", so if I weighed 217, I'd look HOT!

Maybe this next fill will do it for you. There's a lot you have to consider, like what type of band you have (how much saline it holds) or the possibility that you have a leak, so never give up hope. Your turn will come.

Do you think it's possible that you have a leak? Hopefully not. Some people do seem to need more restriction than others. At one month, had you been eating solid foods long enough for your first fill? Please be careful getting too many fills too soon, so you'll avoid complications that could cause you to lose your band. Are you getting your Water intake in every day? Have you tried tracking your foods on Fit.day.com? This can be helpful to show you how much you're actually eating. Are you making wise food choices? There's a lot of mental work to do with this band. The band will help us, but it won't do the work for us. Best of luck to you!

Ya know, it sounds lame, and we've all heard it a hundred times, but you gotta drink your Water. I spend my morning and afternoon drinking Water so I can slack off in the afternoon. But if I don't get a lot of water in during the day, I'm starving at night.

My first and only fill was 1.8 cc, but I think that's a lot for a first fill. The only reason my doctor went so high is because after he filled me, he removed my port due to infection. So he gave me a little extra knowing that I may never have another fill again (at least until I have surgery to replace the port.)

This "fill" issue makes my mind think of much broader things... for example, each one of us is completely different, and each one of us gained our weight for different reasons and over different periods of time. I wonder if our past has anything to do with how the band and fills react around our bellies. I, for one, was a huge binge eater, so I would stretch my stomach out till the point of being sick every single day. I wonder if the stomach becomes more elastic --- might sound really stupid, but something has to account for why some of us get restricted while others don't, doesn't it?

Debbie, how much weight are you wanting to lose? You are at a lower BMI than most of us. This could be why it's taking longer. You have less "fat" to lose than I do.

Debbie, you mentioned you have the 9.75 Lapband... is this the new vanguard band? Does the 9.75 mean that it holds 9.75cc total. If so, then 1.5cc doesn't seem like much. I have the 4cc band and have only 1.3cc (waiting for my 2nd fill) and I already know that this is not enough fill to help me lose weight. I keep gaining and losing the same 2 pounds. I eat far less than pre-surgery, but not enough to lose weight... even with exercise.

You also mentioned that you lost more with Weight Watchers eating more food. Could it be possible that your body is in starvation mode and holding onto the weight for dear life. How many calories are you consuming a day? If under 1,000 you might try adding a Protein drink to bring it up to at least 1200 and see what happens.

This is all just my 2 cents... I agree with Lisa (DeLarla)... everyone is different.

The 9.75 measurement is of centimeters, I'm pretty sure, which means it's the standard Inamed band installed in most American bandsters to date. Correct me if I'm wrong, Debbie.

And if that's the case, and you're 5'9", you really ARE a lightweight. Your starting BMI was less than 34, and now it's 32. You have much less to lose than most bandsters, so your results will differ markedly.

That said, it's not really uncommon for the first fill to be ineffective. Some doctors do that by design, wanting patients to "sneak up" on an appropriate level of restriction. Other times it's just that your stomach/band/anatomy need another boost of saline before responding with restriction.

Mention it to your doctor tomorrow and see what he says. My bet is that even with good restriction that you can fee, your rate of loss will be slower because you just have less to lose. Your body LIKES being the weight it is, and it probably won't give up those last few pounds without a fight. (How much do you want to lose?)

I have the 9.75 cm that holds only 4cc. I keep telling myself that I'm in starvation mode that's why I won't lose any weight, but I'm sure that's wishful thinking! LOL I'm eating about 1200 cal a day. I know I could eat more Protein, good idea. The way I lose weight is so weird. Right after surgery within the first week I lost 6 lbs, then nothing for 3 more weeks. I go in for my first fill, and within a week I lose 4.5 lbs, then nothing for another 3 weeks. Maybe I'm being impatient, time will tell.

In la la land I'd like to weigh 150-160 lbs. I haven't weighed that since I was 18, so I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Debbie, When I got my first fill, I didn't feel any restriction at all. I went back after a couple of weeks and, lo and behold, there was no saline in the band. We discussed the possibility of a leak, and also the possibility that he missed the port. He put in another fill, and I've had pretty good restriction since then. My fill doctor said that it was not so very uncommon for the first fill to "disappear". Weird, I know, but maybe this phenomenon has visited you, as well. Has anyone else heard this?

Wow Neicy that's really interesting...

Debbie - I was banded on 7/2/04, got my first fill on 8/17 and was at 2cc's. I am 5' 7" and started at 280. Before my first fill I got to 255, and I'm still there. It's a bit depressing... I've started walking in the last month but it hasn't made any difference. I'm taking in about 1200 cals average. I'm going in for another fill on the 4th, hopefully that'll hit the spot. :)

The way I lose weight is so weird. Right after surgery within the first week I lost 6 lbs, then nothing for 3 more weeks. I go in for my first fill, and within a week I lose 4.5 lbs, then nothing for another 3 weeks. Maybe I'm being impatient, time will tell.

Nah, that's not weird. That's NORMAL. Anyone here will tell you that's just the way it works.

You're fine! :)