Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 yr post op and occasionally get night coughs

These things scare the crap out of me when they happen. I know that when they happen it is my fault, and that I should not eat or drink so close to going to sleep, but has anyone else experienced this? I also wanted to know if anyone else has trouble eating hamburgers? Bunless of course. We use the 90/10 ground beef but I had it around 8:00 pm and went to bed after 10:00 tonight and it just did not digest. The result was night coughs feeling like I asperated a piece of ground meat. After a lot of coughing, I feel better now but I do not foresee homemade burgers in my future for a long time!!

I can't eat as late as 8. I have just had to accept that as my life now. If I am eating with others and have no choice, I either go to bed very late or prop myself up on pillows.

A night time cough, as you obviously realise, is often associated with reflux and can be dangerous as we can inhale particles of food which, worst scenario, can lead to aspiration pneumonia. If you can work out ways to avoid it, you really need to do so!

If it happens even when you do take care, then you need a small amount of saline out. I am paranoid about being too tight - and I ascribe the fact that I still have my band after nine years, when so many don't, at least partly to this fear! I have twice had persistent night time coughs, without even being aware of reflux, both times I had 0.1cc removed, both times thurible ms went away without any feeling of loss of restriction.

Hamburger is a "take care" food for me! It is actually very textured but doesn't chew easily because it is made of small pieces! Very easy to swallow insufficiently chewed.

Hi there, that sounds scary. I used to love a great big cheeseburger but find I can't do straight-up burger at all now. We get very lean meat also -- the grass-fed organic. I figure we can afford it with all I'm saving on food, lol. I am even indulging in the occasional filet mignon. For ground beef I get the pan very hot (no oil) and sear the meat, chop it down and cook. When it's nearly all browned I add beef stock (you can get organic in a box), spices and Beans if I'm making chili, or if I'm going in the Italian direction a few jars of red sauce or cans of crushed tomatoes, etc. The added liquids break down the meat and soften it, plus the flavor is amazing. Shepherds Pie is very band-friendly. I don't eat bread or Pasta but do have a little potato once in a while.

There are other banders who cannot eat close to bedtime. I know that putting blocks of wood under the head of the bed to raise it a couple of inches is recommended for reflux. Be sure to loop your doctor in on whatever is going on. Let us know how you're doing!

Eating that close to bedtime would be an issue for me. I can have 1/2 C of sherbet or something smooth like that if I am really hungry. I had an episode of reflux and my band was a bit tight. The interesting thing was... I had had that amount of fill for over 6 months and it seemed fine. Out of the blue I started with reflux. Perhaps things shifted as my body fat reduced and muscle mass changed my shape? No one really figured it out but it has been 6 months since my issue and life is good and no real reflux as long as I don't eat late at night the coarse foods. Be aware aspiration is not a good thing. Hope your Dr, can get you through this. Do report your issue to the Dr. Blessings!

Thank you all so much for your advise and support!