Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in LOVE!

I'm the token barista for my family. I worked at a coffee shop as a teen, and my family loved the drinks I made better than anyone elses, so there's an espresso machine at the office (I work with my family now), and people make orders, lol.

The espresso machine I have now is okay, but someday I'd like to get one of the REALLY nice ones.

Green, it's a good thing because you almost can't see out of mine lately. My housekeeper refuses to do windows. She's excellent in every other way. She does the plantation shutters but not the windows. Thank goodness for plantation shutters. I can louver them at an angle and pretend it's foggy outside.

Oh Juli: Half Decaf doubles over ice, eh? Never tried one of those. You have to be right about Starbucks. How else could they have hooked so many people on paying 3 bucks for a coffee?

@BJean, I can't speak any other foreign language other than French but I could pretend to be your exotic help when I come to visit you. ;) This could be beaucoup de fun. :heh:

@Juli, I am fond of strong coffees - this is the result of living in France for a few years - and I love iced coffee but I don't like sugar in any of my drinks. This is why I have never liked soda and this is why I drink my coffee and tea without sugar. I have learned that you can make a fabulous iced coffee by using an Italian espresso caffe, and then adding ice and milk. This could be useful info for any bandsters who want to get away from the sugar/aspartame-thing and this is why I have mentioned it.

The other thing I learned from living in Europe with a coffee freak was that all good coffee has to be made out of 100% arabica coffee Beans. Robusta Beans are inferior. I have since tried coffee which was a robusta-arabica blend and the coffee was not nearly as good.

green:Any domectic assistant, exotic or regular, will be greeted with open arms! Beaucoup de fun, especially for me!

Thank you for the lesson in arabica quality caffe beenos.

Marimaiu: I am curious to learn which of the machines would qualify for your definition of a really nice machine? One of those huge copper and brass ones that is complicated but always guarantees a quality espresso?

My neighbor in Orlando was from Lebannon and she had her family send coffee from there in a lidded jar that was unlabled that she added hot Water to for an incredibly strong and addictive tiny cup of Joe. It sort of looked like large grains of instant coffee, but it was something quite different in taste and quality. Anybody know what the heck it was?

The espresso machine at Starbucks costs about $10 K.....whereas mine was $350. It's still a pump type machine, but obviously on a much smaller scale than the big commercial ones. I was told you want to avoid the machines that produce the espresso via steam, as they are not as well built and the espresso quality is inferior.

Espresso machines come in a variety of styles. Which kind is right for you?

You've decided you need an espresso machine at home, but what kind? They all have the same basic mechanism: forcing hot Water through coffee grounds under pressure. But there are different ways to accomplish that. There are 4 basic machines, and each has its positive and negative features.

Pump Espresso Machines

• These use a powered pump to produce the right amount of Water pressure
  • Usually the most expensive
  • Can be quite large, bulky and noisy
  • Produces excellent espresso
  • Pump can get clogged with mineral deposits from the water
  • Commercial machines are often this type

Lever/Piston Espresso Machines

• There is a manual lever and piston on these models to create the pressure
  • Can be hard on the arm
  • Very quiet machine
  • Espresso quality can vary
  • Few parts, low maintenance

Steam Powered Espresso Machines

• The steam from heated water creates the pressure
  • Pressure isn't always strong enough to make a good Espresso
  • Smaller machine, sleek design
  • Quick and easy to use

Here's a picture of my espresso machine...It's a Barista brand.

post-204296-13813135104116_thumb.jpg

I have a friend with a lever/piston type machine. It is a lot of work, really, and does not produce as good a cup of Cappuccino as my little Krups.

Your machine is handsome! I feel a little like that guy on the sitcom who was really into men's work tools - only about coffee machines!

I feel a little like that guy on the sitcom who was really into men's work tools - only about coffee machines!

Me, too, BJ. I went around forever, checking out every espresso machine I saw. I was reluctant to part with the big $$$ for what the uninitiated refer to as "a coffee maker". I wanted to be able to reproduce that great, addictive Starbucks taste or else I wasn't interested. So when they (SB) set up a working display in my local coffee house, I tried it and found that it tastes EXACTLY the same - just doesn't steam the milk as quickly.

I am consoling my bank account with the idea that, over the long haul, I will actually be SAVING money - at almost $7.00 per day for one grande latte each, for myself and DH, at the corner SB.

BTW....have you test driven the Krups ice cream maker? My neighbor has one and the frozen custard she makes in it should be against the law.

Are you talking about the one that makes and dispenses soft serve ice cream? Or the one that you place the container in the freezer and then mix up your ice cream and it only takes around 30 min. to make?

I've had one of those for ages - probably 10 years. Often I use it when company comes. I make some kind of fruit based sauce, or a brownie or something, then while we are eating dinner, the ice cream is making. Nothing like it! You can make the best guilt free sorbet too. I use Stevia for sweetner.

Your ability to make Starbucks coffee has me intrigued. I am a freak for their grande (or tall) Decaf latte. Of course you order it "their" way - "grande decaf latte" in that order. And when they're out of zuchhini loaf, I'm out of sorts! So what I need is the Barista, some training on making Starbucks coffee and the recipe for their zuchhini loaf - believe me it would save me some $$$ too!

What I need is a machine which makes single malt scotch. :) That would save me quite a few bucks. :) It is would probably ruin my liver and destroy my few remaining brain cells, though.... :) Alas. :cry

Are you talking about the one that makes and dispenses soft serve ice cream? Or the one that you place the container in the freezer and then mix up your ice cream and it only takes around 30 min. to make?

I've had one of those for ages - probably 10 years. Often I use it when company comes. I make some kind of fruit based sauce, or a brownie or something, then while we are eating dinner, the ice cream is making. Nothing like it! You can make the best guilt free sorbet too. I use Stevia for sweetner.

Yes...that's the one! It makes yummy, smooth-as-silk ice cream.

So what I need is the Barista, some training on making Starbucks coffee and the recipe for their zuchhini loaf - believe me it would save me some $$$ too!

I am learning that you do have to allow for extra milk money, and go back to SB for your coffee, of course, and a bag costs $10. Still, it's nice to have real SB first thing in the AM.

Did you all miss me? Probably didn't notice I was gone. Ahem.

I went on a girls only trip to Scottsdale. Stayed at the Phoenician from Thurs until last night. Had the most incredible facial ever! The accommodations were awesome. Everyone was friendly and happy - I would be too if I worked there. It was 112 degrees one day, but not all that uncomfortable by Florida standards (the standard by which I compare all weather) or even most Texas standards. We met another group of girls who were there from Austin. My group was from Texas, North Carolina and California. Fun! We went to an Italian restuarant one night where they have a staff of hunky guys who put out a calendar. Yes, we came home with a signed calendar. But that's all, hee, hee.

My purpose for bringing this up, other than just plain ole' bragging, was to say that they started serving coffee every morning at 6 AM in several locations on the beautiful grounds and the coffee was so strong I couldn't drink it without at least half milk. Today we're all having withdrawal from the stout doses of caffeine we ingested every day.

Anyway, glad you brought up the ice cream maker because I'd nearly forgotten I had it. July 4th is a perfect day to put it back into service!

Hope you have a great day. I came home to many of my neighbors flying their U.S. flags and draping red, white and blue bunting from the railings on their porches. Cool! I better get busy before I get drummed out of the 'hood.

green: Not to worry - if you found a Scotch maker, I'm sure you'd only use it for medicinal purposes.