Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4/27--it's about to get real! Day surgery?

my doctors also do one day if surgery is early in the morning.

@@ASLEEVE4ME2015

Well, my surgery ended up being around 2:30. Got there at noon and I was leaving around 7 pm.

I think I did well, and NOW I know what the pain is like--I just had the hardest time imagining what it would be like since I've had no major surgery since I was yrs old and had my tonsils out. I've been burping like crazy and when I drink liquids, especially plain Water, I have the sensation that I normally would get when I had an empty stomach and drank water- I guess an acidy stomach. So I took pepsid and I think it helped some My stomach seems to flutter or spasm every once in awhile and getting out of bed or bending down like to pick something up from the floor--whew, what a challenge! Walking has been what has relieved the gas the most. This afternoon I've had a low grade fever. Just keeping a watch on it bc I sure don't want it to get up high. Hoping, hoping it just stays low grade or goes away!

Had my surgery on the 27th. All went well but the pain is terrible.

HOpe your pain gets better,

@@banksdea

I've got some pain and gas, just taking pain meds and anticipating it will be better tomorrow and each passing day. They did a local anesthesia around my incision sites and it is suppose to last 2-3 days, so I'm wondering if by that time the pain is better= I sure hope so! So, how was YOUR experience?

I had the worst nausea ever. I've probably thrown up 40-50 times. Had to stay an extra night in the hospital, b/c I couldn't keep anything down!

I am so shocked that your surgery was done as an outpatient. OMG, you must be in some kind of pain.

Sleeved on the 27th! Doctor said everything went great! I woke up with a lot of pain-it was like the worst cramps and heart burn ever! I stayed 1 night and most of the second day. I didn't have any nausea but i did have heart burn for like 24 hours. I am burpy and gurgley every time i drink anything, but it is just weird not painful. All in all i am feeling tired and sore, but am doing well. Good luck to everyone else!

I had the worst nausea ever. I've probably thrown up 40-50 times. Had to stay an extra night in the hospital, b/c I couldn't keep anything down!

@@Lori H

--oh, no! That was a fear I had. So sorry you went through that nausea and vomiting. Hopefully that is all past you now.

Its easing, I can only keep Water or ice down. And of course the pain medication is liquid and tastes horrible... I'm really hoping this eases soom b/c I'm getting 0 nutrition! But they said as long as I stay hydrated I should be okay. I just hope I go back go normal fast, this is just horrible!! :(

1. I had my surgery at 9:30 on 4/22/2015. It was a breeze. I was a little nervous about the IV (I have invisible veins), but they did a great job. The Anesthetist was a dreamboat and at 65, I could get by with lots of flirting. I spent the night at the hospital and went home about 11:00 on the 23rd. It was no problem. I felt fine. A little sore, but I was on pain meds. Once home and in bed I slept a lot. Trick was, I had a friend stay with me the first week. She woke me up every 15 minutes to sip my one ounce of liquid. Get a digital egg timer. Mine clips onto my clothes. Get off the pain meds as soon as possible. Milk of Mag is the worst thing I have had in my life. YUCK. Liquid Tylenol made me sick.

Spiritfilled how did the appointment go? Lori H how are you doing?

Much better...Can't find a Protein Powder that I like though... they dont seem to stay down...other than that I've lost 30 lbs but been in a stall for the last week :(

@@Lori H

Glad to hear you're doing better. I've been in a bit of a stall but I am feeling and seeing a difference in my face, neck and boobs, where I usually notice first, so hopefully I'm coming out of it.

I have read on ThinnerTimes.com forum some people going home same day, and some going back to work 5 days later. My doctor said 2 days, but I read many have been out patient. So, you're not alone. Good Luck.

@@gina_g

thanks for responding! I'm 29 days post op now. I did just fine with the same day dc! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches