Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you guys do for a pre op diet? Obviously we can't do liquids for 2 weeks we would loose to much! We need to shrink our livers before surgery I know. My Dr said just do liquid and laxative 2 days prior to surgery. I'm scared this isn't enough though???? What did you guys do???

Don't take laxatives, you will dehydrate yourself at a critical time. I didn't follow the recommended pre op diet until the day before...well not even that, 10 hours before my surgery I took a sleeping pill and sleep ate 2 candy bars from the hotel fridge. I was the first to get surgery the next day, not a word was said and no complications. I am not suggesting this is a good idea, however, don't worry so much. Get good eating habits before and you will be a better success after

That's the worst. When people think you're pregnant. Or worse, when kids point to you and say she's big or she's pregnant or something like that. I wish I would have gotten my weight under control when I was like 230 lbs. now I'm up to 330 and I have a long journey ahead of me. I think you ladies are smart to get going km this before you are morbidly obese. I am lucky I have no health problems and I am getting the surgery I just wish I didn't have so much to lose.

I've heard that the lower the BMI the slower you will lose after surgery and the weight doesn't "fall off" like it does for people with a BMI of 40 or more. Good luck!

this will be great for me because I don't want to loose anymore than 50lbs so hopefully it false off slow and I'm able tone up fast

My BMI was 35 when I qualified with co-morbidities. 34 day of surgery. 5'2, 190. Surgery 10/21/14. 6 month check up at 146lb. Knew I wouldn't loose fast, but I'm ok with that. Feel better than I have in years.

My BMI was 35 + Co morbidities when I was approved. My surgery weight was 180,BMI 32.9 at the time of surgery April 1st. I am 3 weeks post Op and have lost 12 lbs, and 1 dress size. I expect the weight loss will slow down as I continue to introduce foods into my diet. My pre-op diet consisted of fruits, vegetables and Meal Replacement shakes for 1 week prior, laxative 2 days prior (doctors orders) to cleanse my colon.

My Dr said just do liquid and laxative 2 days prior to surgery.

@@alindsey

huh???? :huh:

doc actually said to take laxatives :o :wacko:

that is a new one to me

i "thought" taking laxatives to help you lose weight isn't really Kosher :blink:

am i wrong???

good luck

kathy

laxatives are taken to cleanse your colon - not for the purpose of losing weight..Bottom line is follow your doctor's orders and everything will be ok.

Edited by brandnewme2015

Honestly at 32, you shouldn't need surgery

Honestly Bruce a BMI over 30 is considered obese. Unless you are a board certified bariatric surgeon I'm not sure you know what your talking about lol I've heard of BMIs as low as 28 needing surgical intervention due to obesity with comorbidities....

Yea, you're probably right.. I spoke out of place

I'm in Philadelphia and my surgeon said that I had to be a 35 or higher to qualify plus they want you to have another health condition with obesity like high blood pressure or something like this

Kudos on a gracious reply, Bruce. I was around a 32 BMI at time of surgery w high BP, high cholesterol & increasingly high blood sugar (which all resolved within a month or two).

I do want to come back to this thread and warn you all about an issue I had as a "telling no one - low BMI" patient though. (Just can't do it right now because I can't type very well on my phone!)

Best to all.

Kudos on a gracious reply, Bruce. I was around a 32 BMI at time of surgery w high BP, high cholesterol & increasingly high blood sugar (which all resolved within a month or two).

I do want to come back to this thread and warn you all about an issue I had as a "telling no one - low BMI" patient though. (Just can't do it right now because I can't type very well on my phone!)

Best to all.

Yes Bruce impressed me!!!

Please do come back and tell what happened!!! I'm so curious!!!

Best to all.

Still wanting to hear your experience, when you get a chance, as I'm in a similar position with lower BMI and not planning to tell anyone but immediate family. My sleeve is scheduled for May 4.