Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your food plan of choice.

Which food plan do you prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which food plan do you prefer?

Just wondering what food plan you prefer. I refuse to say "diet" because this is more of a life style than a diet.

I prefer low carb because I just feel better eating low carb. If I pig out on carbs (and I do that every now and again) I pay for it for days. I don't feel well, I feel bloated, uncomfortable, and like a slug on my couch. I have more energy, feel better, and lose weight to boot - on low carb.

BTW, that does not mean low carb high fat. But low carb, adequate Protein, and I'm trying to increase fat in my diet since my hair and skin seem so dry.

I just choose low calorie. I tried to get food that made me feel full. I ate a lot of Orville Reddenbacher Carmel popcorn cakes . They really filled me up for 40 per cake. They look like rice cakes but made out of popcorn.

edie

I dont follow one.

I really believe that to follow a "food plan" call it whatever, its still a diet is to simply prolong the dysfunctional eating behaviours we all exhibit that got us where we are. Rules about what you can and cant eat, weighing, measuring, ignoring hunger, or eating when you're not hungry because you need x grams of Proteins, calling foods good and bad, none of it is healthy, rational or sane.

Normal weight people who have never had a weigh problem tend to eat what the hell they want, whenever the hell they want. Most of the time, healthy bodies ask for healthy food, and of course you have to use your judgement if you "feel like" Mcdonalds seven times a week.

But overall, that's just what I did/do and it worked for me and now I have broken that awful thinking about food obsession that I had, where it was food or my weight running through my head the whole time.

Most days I eat really well, as I like healthy foods and they like my band a lot better than most junk. But some days I eat crap, sometiems for a few days on end if we have a lot on. doesnt matter, over time it all evens out, I get the nutrition I need, and my weight stays relatively stable.

I truly believe dieting is the wrong way to approach being banded, but I know its personality dependent to a degree.

I chose other because I followed a low fat and low carb, with high Protein diet post op. I am a little more leanient since I've reached goal, but stay true to it most of the time.

I do the bodybugg low calorie thing. Mainly focuses on the calories you vs. the calories you burn daily. No guesswork. If you are going to gain, you know it, if you are going to lose, you know it.

I eat whatever I want that is healthy. I started out counting calories but felt like I was dieting. I eat all kinds of meat, fish, and poultry. I eat brown rice, wheat Pasta and "good" carb items. I eat Beans for the carbs as well as the Protein. I am not going to diet any more. I do not have cravings for "junk" food, but I think that has to do with the good carbs/bad carbs thing. If I am out and about and stop in a store I always go straight to the beef Jerky instead of the candy. My hubby does now too!! I do eat some things that are low fat or low carb just because they are good and I like GOOD things to eat. Like the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. I think that is good and so instead of using butter I use that. If it didn't taste very good I would not use it. I tried the light Salad Dressing and HATED it. Bought the regular and WAS MUCH HAPPIER with that and only need a small amount anyways. I use Splenda and don't use sugar anymore. It works for me and I love the new me. I am hoping for 100 pounds down by December. Guess we will see. Good Luck to all no matter what you choice to eat. It has to be healthy and good for you. Your body needs the nutrients. Deanna

I'm a big fan of eating a reasonable, balanced diet. I try to follow Michael Pollan's way of thinking -- "eat food, mostly plants, not too much". I do eat the Protein first, then the vegetables, then the carbs. But my primary goal is to eat natural and organic food that is good forme -- I avoid synthetic "foods", trans fats, and simple carbs. But beyond that, it's really just about eating what I know is good for me.

Well said Jacqui! Oh by the way love your name,lol. Mine is mispelled like that more than spelled the way my mother spelled it. But seriously I agree totally, if I were stay on a "diet" per say I would do the same thing I did all these years getting morbidly obese, cheating. I try to eat healthy most of the time but I feel like no more than I can eat I am going to eat foods I like, and still manage to lose weight and blood work looks good. So I am with you, no special diet just common sense eating.

what food ways did you follow immediately after surgery? When did you have surgery?

Granted, I'm a newbie at this...my first fill is next week. I've been told to expect to be able to eat around 1/4 cup a meal. With that little bit of food (less than a cup a day), I don't see why I'd worry about low-cal or low-fat, as long as I wasn't 'drinking' my calories with milkshakes and such.

Seems like, if I follow the rules, its going to be hard to get to 1000 calories/day, and using the thumb rule of 12 for men, that would eventually put me at a equilibrium weight of...83 pounds?? (yikes)

using that thumb rule, and setting a target weight of 190, my daily caloric intake would be 2280, which is going to be tough on 3/4 cup of food per day, I'm guessing.

I am really happy with my food plan. I always start my day with a Protein Shake. That gives me 30 grams of Protein from the start. I then move onto solid protein or soft protein depending on if I eat tuna. I can usally get down 1/4 of a sandwich and 1/2 if I wait 30 minutes. I am fine with that. I then eat only solid protein in the evenings. I am starting to lose over 3 lbs a week now.

I bought a couple of great cookbooks specifically designed for eating after weight-loss surgery. I go through each book and pick out menus/recipes for 7 days. Each day I cook what I picked out. So far, the meals have been fantastic. They are basically low carb, low calorie, and some with higher Protein than others -- but we've been eating so good, my husband is having a hard time believing the food is actually good for you -- there's so much flavor.

This is what works for us, as I'm one who's got to eat real food. At least this way, it's healthy, tasty food.

I bought a couple of great cookbooks specifically designed for eating after weight-loss surgery. I go through each book and pick out menus/recipes for 7 days. Each day I cook what I picked out. So far, the meals have been fantastic. They are basically low carb, low calorie, and some with higher Protein than others -- but we've been eating so good, my husband is having a hard time believing the food is actually good for you -- there's so much flavor.

This is what works for us, as I'm one who's got to eat real food. At least this way, it's healthy, tasty food.

Have you found any good low carb/low fat veggie recipes? Something REALLY easy?

For those who try to stay low carb, about how many carbs do you have per day. I know when I did Atkins the goal was to stay at about 20. Is that still the case when you are low carb with the band or do you have more.