Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breakfast question

I have occasionally had an Eggo wheat waffle, or have made pancakes, of which I only eat one and freeze the others. But to keep losing, I KNOw that I shouldn't. Carbs completely block my weight loss success and it's hard to give them up sometimes. Best not to start, for me anyway.

PS: I have a recipe for the Biggest Loser's pancakes, made with cottage cheese and whatever; I haven't tried it yet, though.

Edited by Dr-Patient

I dont because im not near goal yet. Im also insulin resustant. If I do, ill have mainly Protein then a few bites of pancake or waffle when im near goal.

Nope! I'm a Quest bar or Protein Shake kinda girl. If anything I would have sausage and eggs....protein

I was a carb junkie before surgery. Now I find I just don't crave the same foods. I can have a bite of a pancake but the thought of eating a stack of them just makes me feel sick. I'm almost 1 year out and I typically have one of two things for Breakfast. If I'm on the go I eat an apple pie Quest bar. Yes, I'm that specific with which flavor I prefer! Can't stand anything chocolate post surgery! The other option is I warm up in the microwave one of the egg combos I made ahead of time from the freezer (which are egg, bacon, bell pepper, onion and cheese "muffins" I baked in muffin tins and freeze.)

Edited by Bluesea71

I don't eat pancakes at breakfast, they are so carb heavy and I'm too lazy to cook in the morning. For the first time in my life, I regularly skip breakfast. I'm not sure if that is healthy or not. I have Cereal for breakfast maybe once a week, since the surgery I have been (finally) gifted with the ability to do carbs in moderation!. Never sugary, I choose cereals with Protein in them (but not 'protein' cereals because they have such huge amounts of sugar in them) and I use almond milk to cut down on calories and carbs. I'm honestly more likely to have Cereal as a snack. When I do eat breakfast, it's usually yogurt. I gave up Bagels and english muffins long ago.

DAE regularly skip breakfast? I have MS and narcolepsy, and I take a crapton of pills, so usually a few minutes of extra sleep beats out breakfast. I am curious if this could be related to the slowing of my weight loss.

@@gal friday Why not just do an "on-the-go" type breakfast like a ready-to-drink Protein Shake or a Protein Bar. I have a Protein bar every morning, because like you, I love my sleep! I just eat it first thing when I sit down at my desk at work.

Yes, I eat hot Cereal and/or pancakes for breakfast every weekend. I make a whole batch of pancakes at once and freeze them, so all I have to do is throw them in the microwave for 30 seconds. I top it with real butter and real maple Syrup (never was a fan of the low sugar/diet crap) I have one pancake with a small turkey sausage patty, but usually can't finish it all. My pancake mixes of choice are Bob's Red Mill or Kodiak Cakes and I add 2 extra eggs and a scoop of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder to the batter. French toast using eggs and vanilla Protein Powder for the batter is also a favorite of mine.

For cereal, I love Bob's Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal. I eat it plain or better yet, add bacon bits and cheddar cheese to it, or a 1/2 scoop of vanilla Protein Powder, dash of milk and blueberries. I also have Kashi Go Lean cereal in my cupboard at all times and either eat it with milk or mixed in Greek yogurt for dessert or my bedtime snack.< /p>

Depending on your body, It is TOTALLY possible to be successful post-WLS and still eat the things you like without getting carried away with the whole no carb thing once you are in maintenance. ****Note....Other than veggies and some fruits, I did not start adding in carbs until I was within 10 pounds of goal****. In the meantime, Just get in all your Protein, Water, Vitamins and make good healthy, balanced choices.

Edited by Kindle

Yes, I eat hot cereal and/or pancakes for breakfast every weekend. I make a whole batch of pancakes at once and freeze them, so all I have to do is throw them in the microwave for 30 seconds. I top it with real butter and real maple Syrup (never was a fan of the low sugar/diet crap) I have one pancake with a small turkey sausage patty, but usually can't finish it all. My pancake mixes of choice are Bob's Red Mill or Kodiak Cakes and I add 2 extra eggs and a scoop of unjury unflavored Protein powder to the batter.

For cereal, I love Bob's Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal. I eat it plain or better yet, add bacon bits and cheddar cheese to it, or a 1/2 scoop of vanilla Protein powder, dash of milk and blueberries. I also have Kashi Go Lean cereal in my cupboard at all times and either eat it with milk or mixed in Greek yogurt for dessert or my bedtime snack.< /p>

It is TOTALLY possible to be successful post-WLS and still eat the things you like without getting carried away with the whole no carb thing. Just get in all your protein, Water, Vitamins and make good healthy, balanced choices

I'm glad you said this Kindle - I think it's important for all of us to remember that we are creating a new lifestyle that we need to continue for the rest of our lives. If you are continually depriving yourself of the things that you really want, will you finally snap and rebel one day and have them? I always hated the word "diet" because it implies one day you will be going off of your diet and going back to another way of eating. I know many people go into this process with serious food issues and need strict eating plans to succeed. There are ways to include those favorites (with a few moderations, of course!) so you don't have to give up everything you love! If you want pancakes, have them! I was never a fan of them in the first place. You need to find a balance that works for you. I have my own sinful treat I've had almost every week for the last 8 months. Am I willing to give it up anytime soon? Probably not. But I log it into my Lose It app on my phone. Account for the calories/fat/carbs and go on with my day. Don't ask what it is BTW. I have enough experience on these boards that I want to spare myself a lecture :P

Edited by Bluesea71

DAE regularly skip breakfast? I have MS and narcolepsy, and I take a crapton of pills, so usually a few minutes of extra sleep beats out breakfast. I am curious if this could be related to the slowing of my weight loss.

I am a BIG advocate of eating breakfast, whether it be something premade the night before or grabbed on the go like a Protein bar or shake. It jump starts your metabolism and gets you started for the day.

Since overeating was never my issue, disordered eating was, when I started looking at my dirt, the first thing I did was make it a point to get in 3 meals a day at a minimum. They don't need to be big meals, but I they need to be balanced.

Well the food police would really have a fit if they knew what I had for breakfast today. Our first client of the day had baked us an apple/blueberry/black berry/raspberry pie. It would have just been rude not to enjoy a piece! ????

I have major food aversions right now because of the post surgery complications and sensory issues, so Protein Drinks are out, and I am SOOOO sick of yogurt, cottage cheese, and other typical breakfast foods. I could do a Protein bar and almond milk while driving my son to school. I know I like the Luna bar that is peppermint chocolate. Can you guys recommend some other brands?

Well the food police would really have a fit if they knew what I had for breakfast today. Our first client of the day had baked us an apple/blueberry/black berry/raspberry pie. It would have just been rude not to enjoy a piece!

Not me. I know you have enough sense not to eat that everyday. A one off ain't gonna kill ya.

@@gal friday the Lenny & Larry Protein Cookies.

Also try MorningShine Breakfast Cookies.< /a>

Both are really tasty and have lots of flavors. If you like hard boiled eggs, boil half a dozen for a grab and go breakfast.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Well the food police would really have a fit if they knew what I had for breakfast today. Our first client of the day had baked us an apple/blueberry/black berry/raspberry pie. It would have just been rude not to enjoy a piece!

Not me. I know you have enough sense not to eat that everyday. A one off ain't gonna kill ya.
And if I had it every day I would definitely want a big scoop of ice cream to go with it! Besides, I had plenty of calories to catch up on since I worked 16 hours yesterday and all I managed to eat was a Quest bar, a Protein smoothie, and a hard boiled egg. NOT a well balanced day ????

Funny you should ask. After having a Protein Shake almost every morning for the last 7 months (aside from an egg and bacon or sausage on weekends occasionally), I am going to try to do something different for a week and have some high Protein granola cereal with milk for breakfast to see if I can get my weight loss to speed up a little (I'm only losing 2-4 lbs a month at this point) Either it will work, or it will be a disaster, lol. Either way I'm looking forward to having cereal for the first time in 7 months or even more! I'll let you guys know how my experiment works (or doesn't)!