Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you know when you were full?

Hi all,

I am a recent lapband to sleeve converter (I had my surgery last week) and want to know how you know you're full. WIth my lapband, I honestly never felt full or satisfied; with the sleeve, I've seen/met/read that so many people say they get stuffed!

How do you know?

TIA

I was on full liquids from day 1 so I could have yogurt drinks and smoothies. I felt full almost always and just sipped all day.

Once I graduated to purees I found that I needed to stick to the ¼ cup or ½ cup recommended, but minus 2 bites. I would always get full 2 bites shy and at first I was forcing the food in but I would get really full on the verge of discomfort. I didn't want to start any bad habits, so I just started preparing my food minus that those 2 bites. Now I burp right before I am stuffed and I stop. Going past that makes me uncomfortably full.

This is my first day of puréed food. I had one scrambled egg for Breakfast, and knew I was full. I dished up 2.5oz of tuna tartare for dinner with a tablespoon of edamame hummus. I just ate very slowly, and it was clear when I was getting close to full. I finished 100% of breakfast, and about 75% of dinner. It all taste soooo good that there was no way I was going to push my luck and ruin the experience of my first real food in several weeks! Oh, and I guess it's not a good idea to push the limits of my new stomach while it's still healing, or something like that. ????

I get the hiccups when I'm full. If I pay close enough attention to stop eating at the first hiccup, it's usually perfect. If I keep eating after that it's always too much by the time my brain catches up and gives me the full feeling. (And that's not fun.)

I'm the same as @Mike4132. I hiccup or burp. It's my signal to stop.

Hiccup or burp. Good tip. I'll keep in mind as I ease into the world of puréed foods. Thank you!

I know because I start a burp/hiccup combination EVERY.FREAKING .TIME. It's good to have a sign before its too late so I'm not complaining.....much.

I get a single hiccup. I may also get a runny nose. But more likely the hiccup. The most important thing IMO is to measure your food. I *still* eat too fast. It can take a few minutes until I get my signal. If I kept eating until I got the sign, I'd be over full and most likely sick and really uncomfortable. So measuring really works for me :)