Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

revision surgeries

Guest patty48

Help! I've been the posterchild of bad luck. Four surgeries so far- original lapband in August 2001. Revision for broken port- July 2002. Hiatal hernia (with band slippage ? )Dec. 2003. Another port break and revision in Nov. 2004. Just went for my first fill since then and the band is leaking! I seem to have 3 options. Have it all removed and forget about it. Have it removed and try again. Have it removed and convert to full by-pass. Originally I found this to be great and finally knew what "thin" people sense about feeling full. Now, I'm just confused, angry, and upset. Has anyone out there known of such issues. Any advice. I'm almost 57, I began my weight loss trials at 330 punds with a dietician. I had the surgery initially at about 290 lbs. I was for a while down to 210. ( right before the hernia surgery) Now I am back up to 260. I am a stress eater as most of us seem to be. I am very upset with myself as my head knows that this was only a tool to help, but...

FIGHT IT BABY! I've had SIX surgeries on my port incision so far! I've had TWO ports removed myself. I'm currently portless. My doctor said he'll put a third port in me in a few months, but I won't have the money, so I'll be portless for years. Oh, and you should see how deformed my belly is! I have a huge hole that I have to pack with gauze every single day. There are pictures posted on this thread of my wound, but they might make you barf.

Do like me and get a new doctor. My problems were doctor errors. Good luck to you. Buck up and be a strong little soldier! Don't let them have your band!

Hi Patty,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. They can't just fix the leaky tube part or do they think its the band that is leaking? If it were me, I would probably just get another band and skip doing the bypass but that is your decision. How do your ports keep breaking or what is breaking on them? Thank you for joining this group and sharing this problem with us. Best wishes to you, Teresa

Hi Patty!

Welcome to LBT! It probably won't come as a surprise to you that I'd vote for taking the band out and replacing it with a newer model whenever you feel ready. A lot has changed since August of 2001 and band design and surgical technique are much improved now.

Aside from your hernia your insides are much the way they were when you started. You're healthy and have already experienced the way the band helps you eat less and feel full longer. Converting to bypass opens an entirely new can of worms, putting you at the bottom of a new learning curve, and also exposing you to all sorts of new risks.

Good luck with your decision. And I'm really glad you came here to share your story. :)

Okay, I can agree with having a new band placed! I just didn't think of that. I just don't want you to give in to a Bandless life.

Sorry to bring it up. But I'd question my doctor on his techniques as well. How can all this happen to one band? I understand hiatal hernia/band slippage - I had it happen as well. Hernia SHOULD have been fixed in the original surgery. Port problems, they happen. Leakage? Who's doing fills? Are they using the correct type of needle? It's been heard that some docs are using 'coring' needles which will leave a hole in the port sponge that does not close up like it will with a 'non coring' type needle (Huber needles are supposed to be used.). If the leak is in the tubing, then someone is a bad shot at putting fills in. Definitely, IF you get your band taken out - or your tubing, which can be replaced WITHOUT a new band, MAKE them let you see it - so that you and INAMED will know where the fault is. Just my 2 cents..

Leatha, it's well known that there was a design problem with the band for a while and ports were breaking fairly easily. Unfortunately if the first port was replaced with the same type, the same thing could happen again. As for a hernia not being fixed at the initial surgery, it's possible that it wasn't there at that time.

Now the band defect that led to broken ports has been fixed; they've been using the new design since at least early 2003. So anyone who's been banded more recently than that is not going to have the same problem.

Yes. It is possible. It's also possible it was there in the beginning as were many many others. I've spoken to many others who've had to have revisions - just like mine due to a hiatal hernia that was not repaired in the original surgery. Even Jessie Ahroni will tell you there is a correlation to existing hiatal hernias and band slippage/pouch dilation. Somehow, the docs missed it, or didn't feel it was necessary to fix it only to find out later it caused problems. :) Either way.. I hope Patty gets a better deal with whatever it takes to fix it.

I don't really have any advice, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you're having all these problems. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Nancy

Bless your heart. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I wish there was another lapband surgeon you could go to. I don't know if that would change anything, but, I know it would ease my conscience about having it done again.

My husband's band slipped and he had to have the surgery done again. It took alot longer because of the scar tissue. I know for me personally, I told him if anything happened and I had to have the surgery again, I would just tell them to take it out. Weightloss or no weightloss

Guest patty48

Thank you all who responded to my message. I am very computer illiterate so my responses will be slow. I do have to say that this website is GREAT! I spent my first six months attending a monthly support group that consisted of only bypass patients. There was nothing that related to me. Now, I know of a band support group and this forum. Already reading advice from all of you on so many different topics has opened up my mind to good and valuable advice. Thank you! Thank you! Patty

Hi Patty,

I would have the band replaced. I just had some tubing repaired due to a leak, but if it was in my band. I would have had the band replaced.

Good luck with your decision.

May I ask how you people pay for all these problems?

Insurence? Or what?

What types of these problems are considered emergency?

How is it all handled?

THANK YOU

Nykee, everyone's situation is different. If insurance covered the initial banding then it's very likely any complications will be covered. That was one of the major reasons I fought it out with my insurance company through three appeals--I thought that living in NJ if I had any problems with the band the medical expenses could easily break me.

Now I think differently, since I have learned that even major band problems tend to be minor medical problems, and don't cost the whole house to fix. So if I were doing it again and insurance wasn't an option, I wouldn't let fear of the cost of complications stop me.