Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting My C25K Adventure - Looking for Advice

Just wondering if you or anyone doing the 5K's noticed weight gain? I was losing weight during the 1st and 2nd weeks, now I'm slowly gaining weight. I don't think I'm eating more food or making poor choices, I pretty much eat the same foods daily without much variation.

Couch to 5k is AWESOME!!! I was never ever a runner before and I completed it and ran my first 5k almost a year ago. When I started it I thought I was gonna DIE!!!

Flash forward a year and I've run 5 and 10ks, Ragnar relays, a triathlon, some trail races and several half marathons. Am training for a full and did a long run of 18 miles today.

If I can do it anyone can!!!

Weight gain with increased exercise intensity is pretty common. You will initially retain more Water as your sore, tied muscles need it to repair. And, overall you may see a slow down in your rate of loss. My weight loss definitely slowed when I started running, but my body composition began to change pretty drastically. My body fat percentage is declining very steadily now that I am exercising more.

Couch to 5k is AWESOME!!! I was never ever a runner before and I completed it and ran my first 5k almost a year ago. When I started it I thought I was gonna DIE!!!

Flash forward a year and I've run 5 and 10ks, Ragnar relays, a triathlon, some trail races and several half marathons. Am training for a full and did a long run of 18 miles today.

That's awesome Jess! I was sick so I'm just a few weeks behind you with a 15 mile yesterday. I bought a camelbak and it has really helped me go the distance.

Sorry to hijack!

I started C25K two years ago. Have also ran several halfs and lots of 5Ks and 10Ks. My 5K time started at over 45min and I'm down to almost 32min without much speed training. I have a knee issue but have managed it with Pennsaid 2% (it's a new gel nsaid), zero drop shoes, and chi running form. The key to training is persistence. Just get out there and do your training plan. No way in hell I would have even fathomed two years ago that I would be able to run 15 miles!

Just wondering if you or anyone doing the 5K's noticed weight gain? I was losing weight during the 1st and 2nd weeks, now I'm slowly gaining weight. I don't think I'm eating more food or making poor choices, I pretty much eat the same foods daily without much variation.

I didn't notice any weight gain, but some do. You are building muscle so that could be it... It also messes with your Water balance and retention if you don't drink enough to make sure you do that.

I do notice that the only time I get hungry post op is when I am putting in a lot of miles (my sister calls it the Rungry's) so keep tracking to make sure your calories and carbs are supporting your effort and not subconsciously creeping up!

That's awesome Jess! I was sick so I'm just a few weeks behind you with a 15 mile yesterday. I bought a camelbak and it has really helped me go the distance.

Sorry to hijack!

I started C25K two years ago. Have also ran several halfs and lots of 5Ks and 10Ks. My 5K time started at over 45min and I'm down to almost 32min without much speed training. I have a knee issue but have managed it with Pennsaid 2% (it's a new gel nsaid), zero drop shoes, and chi running form. The key to training is persistence. Just get out there and do your training plan. No way in hell I would have even fathomed two years ago that I would be able to run 15 miles!

That's awesome!!! Yeah right? Go figure--who knew I had a runner in me? Not even old HS me who was a back of the pack walker!

Congrats! Do you have a marathon planned? Mine is Memorial Day weekend!

Well, week 3 of my C25K adventure is in the record books. Monday starts Week 4, the pace increases and so does the length of the jogging times. Once again, I'm nervous when wondering if I can ramp it up to jogging 5 minutes non-stop for the workouts on week 4. I didn't really believe I could run 3 minutes non-stop, till I did it. So maybe 5 minutes is doable too???? :unsure:

The ramp up from week 3 to 4 is rough, but you can do it!

Well, week 3 of my C25K adventure is in the record books. Monday starts Week 4, the pace increases and so does the length of the jogging times. Once again, I'm nervous when wondering if I can ramp it up to jogging 5 minutes non-stop for the workouts on week 4. I didn't really believe I could run 3 minutes non-stop, till I did it. So maybe 5 minutes is doable too???? :unsure:

You can do it!!!! Don't worry too much about the pace, just keep running--- you can do ANYTHING for 5 minutes!

Week 4 of the C25K 8 week program has started. Had to ramp it up. Total jogging time has almost doubled from last week. I was really nervous that I couldn't jog for 5 minutes continuously. My butt definitely didn't like it! :-P

I just realized about a week ago I was doing a Couch to 5K and didn't even realize it! I had heard of the program, but didn't know what it was. About 6 weeks ago, I decided to change things up in my workout and start cardio to get past a stall. Each day, each week, I would push myself to run "just one minute more" and now I'm up to 10 minutes without stopping. It helped with the stall, too, as I lost 6lbs in March at 7 months post surgery! Here's the best part....I'm actually ENJOYING it. And I'm also almost 48 years old! Maybe shoot for a 5K for my 50th Birthday? We will see :)

I just realized about a week ago I was doing a Couch to 5K and didn't even realize it! I had heard of the program, but didn't know what it was. About 6 weeks ago, I decided to change things up in my workout and start cardio to get past a stall. Each day, each week, I would push myself to run "just one minute more" and now I'm up to 10 minutes without stopping. It helped with the stall, too, as I lost 6lbs in March at 7 months post surgery! Here's the best part....I'm actually ENJOYING it. And I'm also almost 48 years old! Maybe shoot for a 5K for my 50th Birthday? We will see :)

I did my first 10K and half marathon at 48! Training now to do my first marathon at 49. You can do it!

Week 4, Day 3 is complete! It's kinda amazing how the 5 minute jogging parts got easier after I did it one time. At first I was worried I couldn't run for 5 minutes straight, but after doing it one time, and having proof that I COULD do it, I got past some mental barrier that was holding me back. It was sort of like having doubts that WLS would work for me. I had to go through it to have the proof it works. B)

The mental barriers are definitely just as strong as the mental barriers. When I got to the first long run (20 minutes straight) at the end of Week 5, I thought "NO WAY!" I had struggled with an eight minute run the workout before that, so 20 minutes seemed completely impossible. But then I did it!

Starting Week 5, the jogging time is increasing, but it wasn't really that difficult to move to the next level. Surprising.

The tough part of week 5 is the 20 minute run for Day 3.