Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastroparesis or paralyzed remnant/excluded stomach after gastric bypass

I am just over 1 year post roux-en-y gastric bypass. Has anyone had issues with gastroparesis or paralyzed remnant stomach (large portion of stomach that was bypassed)? I have had severe abdominal pain and nausea from 2.5 weeks after surgery, a picc line was placed for nutrition about 3.5 weeks after initial surgery. I now have a GJ tube with the gastric port for drainage and the jejunal portion for feeding. We are trying to get to the point of no TPN so we can remove my picc line.

I have gone to the mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for another set of eyes. They are looking to remove the bypassed portion of the stomach since it doesn't drain like it should, hoping this will relieve my chronic debilitating pain and nausea.

Thanks for any experience you share!

I am just over 1 year post roux-en-y gastric bypass. Has anyone had issues with gastroparesis or paralyzed remnant stomach (large portion of stomach that was bypassed)? I have had severe abdominal pain and nausea from 2.5 weeks after surgery, a picc line was placed for nutrition about 3.5 weeks after initial surgery. I now have a GJ tube with the gastric port for drainage and the jejunal portion for feeding. We are trying to get to the point of no TPN so we can remove my picc line.

I have gone to the mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for another set of eyes. They are looking to remove the bypassed portion of the stomach since it doesn't drain like it should, hoping this will relieve my chronic debilitating pain and nausea.

This sounds like alot of what I have been going through but for almost 9 years!! I have recently been doctoring and he said I had a bacterial overgrowth. This comes from that extra limb that still connects the 2 stomachs. He said food gets stuck in there and cannot get out and then the bacteria begins... who knows how long I have had this but so far we have not been able to get rid of it...I am down to 128 lbs. now and have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, pain, you name it ...I did have other serious complications right from the start though.... I kept getting scar tissue and they would have to open it up again, turned out I went to Mayo clinic finally and they found I had a twisted bowel (no one even looked past the stomach) I wish you well on your jouney and hope they can get you back on the right track... Peggy

I had band in 2009. I've lost 150 lbs. down to 270. But it caused me to develop gastrparesis and pyloric valve spasms so my stomach has basically stopped digesting all food. It goes in and sits for days. Feel nauseous and vomit continually. So they've pushed thru a RNY in 2 1/2 months. I have it in two weeks. Problem is I missed all the pre op education usually associated with the surgery so feeling very nervous. Done lots of research on my own but not the same as professional instruction. Dr says to expect a rough surgery because of the shape my stomach is in. Doesn't exactly reduce ones anxiety does it?

▶️. If your stomach is bypassed why is your gastrparesis still an issue? Dr said it would resolve it. Curious now.

I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling with the horrific condition gastroparesis. I was diagnosed 3 years ago, and actually just had a bypass done on 11/29 for bile reflux that began after another gastroparesis surgery. My surgeon said many doctors use bypass as a first method of surgery for treating gastroparesis. I suggest seeking out an experienced motility doctor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App