Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To All the Housewives and Homemakers

I, too, am one of those "lazy, good, for naught" creatures of the homefront, whereas ALL I do ALL day is laze about. Doing things like....plowing the driveway, felling dead trees so they don't fall and hurt anyone, fend off unwanted critters that plague my land, plow that land, garden that land, cut and buck up that fallen tree, feed the woodstove AND the children AND husband that warm themselves by that woodstove, clean that woodstove, clean up after said children and husband, tend the animals that provide for us, and then, of course, take time to help others by volunteering time to see at-risk youths get some much-needed counseling, seeing to elderly folks who are now left alone in the world, answering calls from those souls who have had WLS, to help them on their journey, and finally, before I rest my head for the evening, see to it that fellow "housewives" and "homemakers" have their day AND their say in a forum where no judgement is placed. In case you're wondering what all this is about, it is for the lone soul who just had to make a comment in another's Quest for answers in "Having Doubts...". Yes, I'm just a "housewife" and I'm proud of it......for I AM THE NECK THAT TURNS THE HEAD.

I had to search for the post you were referring to. Even if he hadn't indicated his gender I would have known it was written by a man. Many sexist men think full time homemakers just sit around all day doing nothing. Your post certainly indicates otherwise, as would mine (I am retired). The topic being discussed was whether to log food daily and the time it requires. It can be a time consuming chore with measuring, weighing and looking up calories, etc.. and calculating exercise calories burned. For some it takes longer than others. Some seem to need it while others don't. But I can assure him that full time homemakers, who probably have children, are not doing nothing. He should walk a mile in their shoes one day and for no pay!

Devil's advocate here...

I don't think he was saying housewives didn't do anything all day. I think he was saying if he has time to track and exercise with a job outside the home, then people who stay home should also have time to track and do what they need to do for their own success. Don't be so sensitive. We all know that stay at home mom's can work just as hard and have issues with time management as someone who works outside the home.

@@Babbs

Sensitive? Maybe, but I said what I felt needed to be said. There are a lot out there who don't/won't stand up for themselves, and I have taken it on the chin repeatedly for the career I have chosen. And I choose to follow my preferred path of weight loss by not doing the log-thing. As I have said before, the professionals that I have hired are happy with my progress, and my way of doing things (after all, doesn't the progress speak for itself?), so the rest of the world SHOULD be happy with it, as well (as if it mattered). I deliberately did not address this in the post to which I was referring, as it would have taken the importance away from the subject of the post itself. As I have accomplished what my goal is, onto the chores that SHOULD work my ass off....

@@CanyonBaby

No worries, really. Pay no attention to the people who minimize what you do day in and day out. It's honorable, and I find most people who have a problem with stay at home mom's are just jealous they can't do it themselves ;)

For the record, I am not a constant tracker, either. I only track during a stall to hone in on what I can do differently. When I'm losing, I don't feel the need. Oh, and I am a Realtor....so I work from home, too ;)

I think what was offensive was that he implied that being a full time homemaker (usually with kids) is not a full time job like his paid one is. Therefore they should have all the time in the world to log food in between being a cook, grocery shopper, diaper changer, chauffer, cleaning lady, doing laundry, helping with homework and spending quality time with their child(ren).

Lol, staying at home has been the hardest thing I have ever done! I was disabled 3 years ago and I am still fighting to get my physical abilities back so I can return to work. Being at home has been harder than going to work. I miss working and the mental challenge it provided along with the fulfillment and adult interaction. I love my children and I am grateful for the time I have been able to spend with them. However , I miss my professional abilities and time to be challenged.

I give homemakers all of the credit in the world! It took me a long time to find my rhythm and get things under control somewhat (as much as you can with kids ;) ). Being a homemaker is the most mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting job I have ever had and I love it. You hit the nail on the head!