Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old habits rearing their ugly head again! YIKES!

After 9 months of excellent control and over 100 lbs. loss, I have been at goal (below 160 lb) for almost one month. I am afraid I am slipping! HELP!

Been eating a lot more than I should for the past couple of days and been eating sugary things. I am so scared! I am asking for help and support before 2 days become 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 more pounds and then 20 more pounds. YIKES!

Going to write down all the sugary stuff I ate since getting up early this morning. I feel sick and nauseous! UGH!

Your going to need a mind adjustment. Start now and throw all the junk away in your house. Sit down and write out a healthy grocery list. Research healthy snack options and get some. Track everything you put in your mouth. Drink more Water. Try to focus on something besides junk food. Maybe start a hobby. Whatever just don't go back down that road. I had an aunt who did the same thing after WLS and put all her weight back on and is now miserable and depressed about it. You don't want that. Stop while your ahead!

It sounds like we're in a similar boat – 9 months out, down over 100 pounds, and feeling the hunger returning. So far I've been able to keep the beast at bay using two techniques. I hope they help you too.

1. Don't back down on the fluids! I keep my sleeve full with 120+ ounces every day by building the fluids into my schedule. It's harder to keep to the schedule on weekends, and that's when it gets harder. So it takes even more effort to get the fluids in, but it's worth it.
  2. All of my "cheat" Snacks are protein-based – Jerky, nuts, cheese, yogurt, sausage, etc. I don't worry about fat content or calories, just that there are no sugar/carbs.

I know it's going to get harder, but I'm going to try and keep these habits going. Good luck! You know how to do this and you've already been wonderfully successful – so do it! B)

Yay you for reaching goal! congratulations! Don't panic! You can do this! Personally, my advice would be to knock out the processed sugar. For me processed sugar is like crack. If I have any at all I just want more...I crave it...it makes me hungry...and thus fall the dominoes.

Spring is upon us and there will be so many new things for the healthier you to do ! have fun!

Wow, there's some great advice given here. I like the idea of writing out a healthy grocery list and keeping up on the fluids. The only thing I would add is asking yourself why all the sudden you want this stuff? Deep down do you feel like you've hit your goal and want to reward yourself? We've spent our whole lives being rewarded with food, particularly sugar so it's not that far fetched. Have you rewarded yourself for hitting goal? Buying some new clothes, getting a pedicure or whatever makes you feel good?

P.S. Congrats on hitting goal, that's inspiring!

I logged EVERYTHING while losing and for the first 6 months of maintenance so I'd be firmly in my groove and know I was getting my Protein. Decided, (didn't just slack it, purposely decided to try and live more naturally) to stop logging. Deal I made with myself was that if I crept even a pound outside my goal range (I weigh once per week, its a 10 pound range and I typically bounce around in the top half), I'd log religiously until I was back where I belong. I had to do it after vacay once and maybe one other time, but it's never more than 1 week before I get back where I belong. Habits... Scoop of whey in my coffee every morning. Sometimes a PowerCrunch bar as a snack in the afternoon. Powercrunch is not the best nutritionally, but it's got 13g of protein and satisfies my need for a cookie. I know I meet my protein requirements if I do this. Also exercise 4-5x per week, so those things help.

I am going through the same thing. I haven't hit goal yet, but I am close. I had surgery 10 months ago and have lost 139 pounds so far. For the last month or so, I've been letting myself have popcorn and a few Bagels. It's such a slippery slope, and it has stopped my weight loss in its tracks. I can't help but wonder if I'm suddenly eating these foods again not because they're my favorite, but because so many people have made such a big deal about my loss (in a positive way) that maybe psychologically I don't like the attention? I have read that people like myself get big to hide behind it. And now that I'm getting attention, I'm uncomfortable with it. I don't know for sure that's the answer, but it's a theory. Even on my wedding day I didn't care to be the center of attention. So I might be onto something.

Whatever the answer is, it's self sabotage and it has to be stopped! I'm doing a pretty good job at identifying it before it gets way out of control and I start gaining. :)

Whoever said this was the easy way out has no idea of the reality and how hard it really is.

Similar story here! I'm not at goal yet (28 lbs to go) but have lost over 100 lbs, and am now 10 1/2 months out from surgery. Yup, habits and cravings come right back. And I'm in total agreement about returning to those practices, AND that sugar (specifically good chocolate in my case) is like crack for me. I know if i start it's SO much harder to stop. Hence that 2 days you've had and your healthy fear of it turning into two weeks, two pounds, etc. I keep the chocolate Quest bars cut in half in my purse and in my workout bag and car, so if i'm tempted to buy and eat something like that, I'll at least eat a better-for-me version. And yes - Jerky in my car too!

DId you keep a journal in those early stages? Go back and read it and see what you were learning and how you were coping. If not, look back over your old posts on this site and see what was in your head then. We tend to think we remember, but i'm surprised quite often by some good tip or gem I've forgotten.

Good luck! Sounds like a lot of us are right there with you!

Kate

I am in the same boat. Down 93 pounds and was doing great. Stressed out at work and the candy and chips are back in my life. I eat even though I am not hungry - just making dumb choices and not even hungry - it is emotional eating. I have gained back a few pounds and am scared I won't be able to stop. My focus and resolve are gone and I am not sure how to get it back. I want to hit 100 pounds by 9 months but only have a month now to do it. I know this is supposed to be my lifestyle for the rest of my life but feeling hopeless. Need to snap out of it but not sure how. Help!

Thank you all for great suggestions, reminders and a few firm kicks in the butt. :D Much needed! I am so glad to be a part of this wonderful support group!

Combining all the suggestions and applying my logical Project Manager mind to it, I jotted down the sequence of events that led to this sudden onset of insanity. I just came back from, staying away from home for 4 weeks, 2 big family weddings and said no to almost ALL the food while I was there. I am proud of that! Being human, I think I had said "No" enough times in the last few weeks. My brain was rebelling! A few weeks outside my environment with EVERYONE pushing rich, yummy food at me was not easy! And I could not get my exercise. Exercise and the resulting soreness keeps me motivated and happy.

Slipping into old habits is easy when the guard is down. I guess I was tired of saying NO!

So, last evening, I gave myself this pep talk in front of the mirror (felt a little silly but how cares?)

Pep talk begin:

In the last week, I started to slip a little. Started testing the waters. NOT GOOD!! I over-indulge, weigh myself daily and find out that I had not gained. So, what do I do? Keep repeating the behavior thinking I am invincible!

Until the weight gain actually occurs? Who am I kidding? I know it will come and come quickly, without the warning. The habits will be back before I can say “habit”.

I cannot go back to thinking that I can fix it without taking drastic action! I WILL NOT be able to just stop eating!! When has that ever worked in the past? Create a plan. Revise it!

Pep talk end.

So, I created a plan.

Organized the house. Threw away the Snacks. Passed a hard test: A boy from the neighborhood brought a cheesecake my husband had ordered from him while I was out. I threw it in the back of the freezer right away!

I went to the gym this morning. I tried on my size 6 clothes and let myself feel the wonderful feeling. I drank 120 oz of Water and am chugging away today! I looked at my before and after pictures and I tried to remember all the wonderful compliments and attention I got at the weddings!

Here is what I learnt from this small slip up:

- I will not be cured! I am an addict and always need to have a plan.

- Desperate times call for desperate measures! Get help quickly! Do not think you can do it by having the same thinking that you had before the surgery. Your tummy was cut, not your brain! It stills thinks the same way!

- I did not have this big surgery to fail. I will adjust my habits and create as many plans I have to and be successful!

For those here that posted about going through the same thing, create a list of things you can make better today and then act on it. DON'T WAIT!

Thank you all!

Whenever I feel myself slipping, I give myself a pep talk too.

Naked.

In front of the fridge.

With my iphone 6 plus (HD camera) and my selfie stick.

Then I download it, print out a few copies and stick them on my food cabinets, fridge and freezer.

I save the original on my phone to look at when I grocery shop or when I feel my resolve slipping and I'm not at home.