Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm done going through this procedure

Ok my post is probably going to piss some people off but oh well. Personally (just me) I believe if someone is only willing to go through with the surgery based on ease of insurance approval, they will be a failure at the surgery.

The surgery involved hard work, before and after, as all of us post ops know. The insurance approval actually was the easy part for me and that includes me giving up smoking to qualify. 75 pounds later I wouldn't change a thing.

HOWEVER, while I do think someone looking for ease will fail afterwards, perhaps the process itself will be an eye opener and OP will be successful without surgery. If you're only willing to put effort into one area, then that's probably the best one. Sheesh, if I had been 203, I don't know if I would have done the surgery either.

I do wish best of luck to the OP even if she has shown herself to be a rude individual. I could understand it if even one individual had come on here and told her she was bound to fail or she was ridiculous for thinking she could do it on her own but all I've seen is genuine well wishes while pointing out how she might have phrased her thoughts to be less insulting to those that didn't follow the same path.

Good luck to you.

I was jumping hoops like a poodle in a kiddie show but it just made me more determined. I had a moronic first psych evaluator and maybe the OP(no offense ) isn't used to fighting for herself or thinks she doesn't deserve it for herself, who knows. As far as how this turned into a bitchfest, everyone reads what they will into text. Some take stuff as funny, some as sarcastic, some as mean. We don't know each other personally and our own days affect how we read something. I'm mad at the world...."well that comment was pretty crappy to me. Shut up you hag". Lol. Or the same comment on a day where I got flowers and got laid..."oh she's soooooo funny lol laadeeee da de da".... we have all been there. Just step back and think maybe one of us is having a crappy day. If it offends you...(whispering) it might be you. :)

Edited by kyrickchick64

Very well said, @@vincereautmori! I joined BP in my research phase prior to deciding to have the sleeve surgery. Like many others here, my decision to have sleeve surgery was not for the sole purpose of losing weight; it was because of my health, i.e. non-alcoholic liver, diabetes, high blood pressure. My PCP recommended WLS to me since I had 100+ lbs. to lose and considering my age, history, etc. he felt it was my best option and I would be successful following surgery.

For those of you still researching and deciding whether or not to have WLS, leave this subject thread and go to another, more positive forum that can provide you with the information and support you are seeking.

Although this is a compelling conversation, unfortunately this thread is devolving into a discussion which adds nothing to those still searching for an answer and to those who are looking for support. I am not going to perpetuate that tone. But as a lesson to anyone still trying to decide, this is a great example of taking this decision as seriously as anything in your life. Not all surgeries are necessary, not all are successful, and some people do experience problems, it has it's risks. Humblestar has decided those risks are too great and has decided to take another path. But for some, the risk of their current health conditions outweighs their fear of the risks of surgery, and ultimately many have it and enjoy renewed health and vitality.

Everyone should do what they think will work for them. If it works, wonderful! If it doesn't work, you can always try it again. Or try something different. Or quit trying.

Every WLS patient has their reasons for doing WLS. In my case, a 30th diet / exercise program (I'm guess-timating which number it would have been) wasn't gonna cut it. I'm old (69 years old). I tried that approach all my life. I always lost weight. I always gained it back. Funny how that happened.

[insert treatise on complex interaction of factors leading to lifelong obesity, metabolic effects of yo-yo dieting, difficulty of losing weight in your late 60s, etc.]

The reason I was finally ready for WLS was, after trying pretty much everything, nothing had solved my weight problem. It was pretty much the only thing left if I wanted to enjoy life. And I REALLY wanted to enjoy life again.

I've had ZERO problems / complications / difficulties losing weight. I've lost 78 pounds and am 7 pounds from goal. I've had no psychological challenges. I feel great. I look great. I am great.

However, that said, no way is WLS for everyone.

Have WLS or don't. It's a free country.

I've sat on this one for awhile, and while I applaud your decision, I think a lot of folks took it the wrong way. It takes so much internal fortitude to go with sleeve surgery, it is not for the faint of heart. Yes, you can lose weight a number of other different ways. There are other surgeries to consider. But I will tell you one thing; if you can't have the patience to go through the hoops insurance requires of you, you certainly won't have the strength to do what sleevers do everyday, and it is not the best choice for you. It would be wise really research the surgeries before leaping into them, and actually ask how others who have had the surgeries cope, day in and day out. It is not an easy or ridiculous route we take. It's just not for the weak.

I think this thread took an ugly turn somewhere. It's just as valid for the OP to talk about his/her decision NOT to have WLS as it is for us to talk about our decision to have WLS. These forums aren't just for people who have already had surgery. They are a great tool for people who are just now considering surgery. Is it not valuable to those people to read about why someone might choose NOT to pursue surgery?

I wish the OP the best of luck. They have made their decision and we have made ours and I hope everyone has incredible success in whichever path they choose.

Thank you for this sane reply.

Either way you decide girl, it will all require effort. There is no path of least resistance.

What is nice to know is "the sleeve" will be available and so will this sight to welcome you with good heart, if you should ever change your direction.

Life is to short…so get living. Best to you

Where I live there are/were hardly any hoops to jump through. I wish there had been more and I wish I had been better informed. Looking into the sleeve was a 2 year search and still knew very little about it. I learned a lot from this very site. Many were very helpful to me and patient. I was going for the bypass and was encouraged to have the sleeve. I waited 4 years for WLS.

I would have gladly gone through the whole circus if I had understood better what might happen to me or what the possible complications might be other then dying and of course the leak.

As said before this is not for the faint of heart. No surgery is! It is not the easy way out. It is chosen by most who have tried everything else first. Until you have done that. Then you should chose not to have this surgery.

For me it was life or death. I chose life but that has been with a different kind of price to pay.

Don't do this unless you are 100 % committed and 100% sure that this is the best way for you. As it is a lot of work to diet which way you chose...

All the best to you and your future efforts in the battle of obesity. We are cheering for you. :)

PMJ said it so well. Life IS too short. All this unpleasantness on this thread is just plain sad.

I love this thread, but I also like watching high speed car chases and train wrecks! Sorry, little devil on my shoulder. :-) It all good. Share the love!

As I was hoop-jumping through insurance/surgeon approval I saw value in the process (initial surgery seminar, monitored nutrition program, psych evaluation, endoscopy, EKG, PCP clearance, nutrition class, wellness class)...and I felt I took them all very seriously. Post-op I see the value of those hoops ten-fold.

I can see nothing wrong with a process that:

• Educated me about the surgical options.
  • Evaluated my eating/exercise program and advised on improvements.
  • Evaluated my psychological readiness for a permanent life-changing procedure.
  • Evaluated that I was a low-risk for surgical complications.
  • Taught me which foods were healthy choices, food preparation techniques, coping skills, lifestyle changes.

There are several others that will come to mind. And I get that when the goal is to get the sleeve we want to get to that goal. I did. I wanted to get the sleeve done ASAP, but I'm also grateful for the fantastic process that helped to ensure my success before, during, and after surgery.

I understand what the original poster is saying. Why go through all this when I can do it myself? That would be fantastic if s/he can without the sleeve. If I thought I could be successful long-term without the sleeve, I never would have had it done. But I was 44 with pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, sever sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. My time was running out.

Best of luck to everyone on their journeys...no matter which path you choose! Unless that path is to a fast food joint, then you need to check yourself. ;)

Edited by AlwaysVegas

wow...I don't even know where to start. the "process" to find out whether or not a person is emotionally, psychologically, mentally able to go through the life saving change this type of "tool" gives a person is "necessary". its NOT for EVERYBODY. wasting 30 plus yrs of my life in a fat suit and yo yo dieting only to be short lived and regain 10 20 pds more @ time I lost does more harm on the body then good. the words my hubs said to me was " it takes courage and bravery to reach out for help when obviously all other avenues have been exhausted". ones who have exhausted all other avenues this is a wonderful tool the rest is up to us personally to follow it. its like any other diet out there ppl still have to follow a strict protocol in order to succeed in losing and then maintain. this tool makes you relearn the limits. thyroid disease hashis and insulin resistance made it impossible for me. everybody is differant in circumstances. I was in the system for 3 months from start to finish and I was on cloud 9 that I was only out 150.00...ins paid 100%. to me that was a blessing! I don't understand the thinking on your comment on the ins and getting money(I'm not sure the exact wording that was used) but anyway...the process is particular. a person has to meet the proper criteria in order to even be approved medically by dr's , the mental evaluations going through the educational classes..I put in everything I had to get everything out of this experiance and relearn in what it will take to be successful. Im sad that you had this attitude ..this process sure does let a person realize if its definitly for them personally or not...its hard work ! its the toughest thing I have ever done in my life . wish you the best...best thing I did for me and my family. adios!

As I was hoop-jumping through insurance/surgeon approval I saw value in the process (initial surgery seminar, monitored nutrition program, psych evaluation, endoscopy, EKG, PCP clearance, nutrition class, wellness class)...and I felt I took them all very seriously. Post-op I see the value of those hoops ten-fold.

I can see nothing wrong with a process that:

• Educated me about the surgical options.
  • Evaluated my eating/exercise program and advised on improvements.
  • Evaluated my psychological readiness for a permanent life-changing procedure.
  • Evaluated that I was a low-risk for surgical complications.
  • Taught me which foods were healthy choices, food preparation techniques, coping skills, lifestyle changes.

There are several others that will come to mind. And I get that when the goal is to get the sleeve we want to get to that goal. I did. I wanted to get the sleeve done ASAP, but I'm also grateful for the fantastic process that helped to ensure my success before, during, and after surgery.

I understand what the original poster is saying. Why go through all this when I can do it myself? That would be fantastic if s/he can without the sleeve. If I thought I could be successful long-term without the sleeve, I never would have had it done. But I was 44 with pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, sever sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. My time was running out.

Best of luck to everyone on their journeys...no matter which path you choose! Unless that path is to a fast food joint, then you need to check yourself. ;)

@@alwaysvegas your comment was exactly what I wanted to cover. I was up to over 12 dx's..I am 51 and I understand. My life I feel like has been given back to me I wished to goodness I could have done this on my own but the 30 some yrs proved that it was impossible for me and that this was my time! denial and fear of being FORCED to make these types of lifestyle changes for LIFE can and definitly scare some to just stay the path their on . I had my scarey moments but I knew I was stronger then my fears I had to shut their mouth up lol !! (so da speak) ty for your comment. :)

I've officially given up on the sleeve process. I've decided to stick to a healthier lifestyle. The entire process to me is ridiculous and going through insurance it's intended to discourage one and to me personal get money from your insurance company. I didn't get an approval or denial I just stopped. I'm 5'2 203 lbs, I don't think the sleeve is a must for me..yes if I get it it's an added benefit but if I dont life will still be great. I honestly felt like a lab rat the entire process. Millions have lost weight w/out any surgery and I'll be one of them. Good luck to all. Today is the beginning of my new life

>I think this thread took an ugly turn somewhere. It's just as valid for the OP to talk about his/her decision NOT to have WLS as it is for us to talk about our decision to have WLS. These forums aren't just for people who have already had surgery. They are a great tool for people who are just now considering surgery. Is it not valuable to those people to read about why someone might choose NOT to pursue surgery?

I wish the OP the best of luck. They have made their decision and we have made ours and I hope everyone has incredible success in whichever path they choose.

I totally agree @JamieLogical. :) It is VERY valid to discuss the whys and why nots. What I do NOT understand here is who the OP has such a beef against (besides me, for reasons I am also unclear on).

What is ridiculous about the process? I am genuinely curious. Is it the the approval process? If so, is she railing against her employer who chooses the insurance package or the insurance company whom she also seems to be defending when she states that someone (I am not clear who) is just "trying to get money from" them via the process. Who exactly is making her feel "like a lab rat"? Is it the doctor? The insurance company? The process?

Again, I have no problem with discussing why someone would or would not go through this process. I have discussed and debated this topic many times and like I stated earlier, I support anyone/everyone who makes this decision no matter what they conclude. That said, there are a lot of highly inflammatory accusations in the original post as well as name calling and rude behavior from the OP in subsequent posts. I disagree that it "took a bad turn" as I think it started out that way.

Perhaps I simply misunderstood the OP's original intent in her initial post but I certainly think she cleared up any misunderstanding there might have been in her follow up. She proved me right, in my opinion. ;)

@@LipstickLady I'm with you on this..If I had made the decision NOT to go through this why not just stay off this site? and be over it? Im starting to think something was said maybe or denied bc of maybe not meeting the criteria? IDK...or maybe fear did get the best . I wish them the best..:/