Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden rise in blood pressure after WLS?

I had RNY 4 months ago and was able to go off of 8 of my 9 medications. I've felt great and have had no complications. My labs at my 3 month appt were excellent. My blood pressure has been stable at around 120/80 or lower for the past couple of years including the past few months when I've been down to only the one blood pressure med.

But then for the last week my pressure has suddenly spiked to as high as 169/106 for no apparent reason. No undue stress, eating healthy, getting plenty of fluids, taking my Vitamins religiously. I've added back in my other 2 blood pressure meds but no improvement. Has anyone else has this happen and if so, what was the cause and what helped?

I am very interested in this question. I have also experienced a rise in my blood pressure even though I'm eating healthier and am now at a good weight. I think it might be stress/insomnia, but I'm not sure.

I know this probably won't help, but my PCP told me that even though I was losing the excess weight, some people will just always have blood pressure issues. No explanation for the high BP, just the way we are. I'm guessing genetics. She said I probably will always have to be on the meds for it, but until my next appt. with her, I am not on any, just to see what it is going to do. Keep us informed, if you don't mind, as to what happens with yours.....

I went to the doctor today (a walk-in clinic - couldn't get it to see my PCP) and the doc there was pretty concerned. I had also had severe headaches that woke me up in the middle of the night the past week. So he did the kitchen sink approach and did an EKG, a head CT scan to rule out neurological stuff, and drew blood to test thyroid & kidney functions. Those are the things that can cause a sudden spike in blood pressure. Also, I am not dehydrated, which could also cause problems. My EKG & CT scan were fine, so now I have to wait until next week for blood test results. In the meantime, I am to increase my BP meds and keep monitoring it. The good news is that it likely has nothing to do with my WLS or how well I am eating. I'll keep you posted just in case this comes up for anyone else.

Well, for what it is worth, try and relax as best you can, for that will help bring BP down, as well. I'm glad you went in and had it checked, smart move. Maybe (if you can spare the time) treat yourself to some favorite, calming past-times. Do you have any hobbies that would take your mind off it? Any great places to take walks/hikes? Just some ideas to maybe give you a little peace in all this. All the best to you...