Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed in self- Pre Op Diet

Started my 14 day pre-op Monday (it's Thursday) which consists of four Protein Drinks and lots of Water per day. I've been doing pretty good but tonight I had steamed broccoli and asparagus. Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal but I feel like I failed a little. Anyone else go off their pre-op?

Edited by avermette

I had one scrambled egg once. And then on another occasion I had single solitary piece of American cheese. I felt so guilty.

I'm 10 days post op and down 10 pounds.

I wouldn't make a habit of it (it's so hard tho, i def understand.)

It'll be easier after surgery! Part of my diligence is based on fear (I don't wanna die from a leak) and the other part is that I want to do well. I'm sure you will be similar :)

Other people will be much more harsh on you on here. But as long as you've made the mistake and moved on I think you'll be alright.

Can you have some chicken broth, sf Popsicles, sf Jello as well? Most liquid diets you can.

I remember being very hungry and so sick of the sweet from the Protein drinks that I needed something else. I called my surgeons office and asked for advice on something a little savory.

They recommended that I get mrs. Grass chicken noodle Soup but strain out the noodles. It tasted like heaven and helped me survive all those sweet Protein Drinks. I lived off the Protein and chicken broth for the remainder of those 10 days.

To me the prep diet was one of the hardest stages but I took it one day at a time. i tried hard not to think of how many more days I had. Once I got past day 4 it got much easier.

Keep your eye on the prize and you will do great!

I am on day 6 of the liquid diet. It does get easier. Try to distract yourself if possible. I have had to rearrange my schedule for the day because I know that afternoons are very hard for me. Try focusing on other things that you can do to make yourself feel good. I have taken long bathes and gone on long walks. I purchased a Fit Bit and really work hard everyday to get my 10,000 steps. It is great because instead of thinking about how hungry I am, I concentrate on getting my walking in. Obviously it is a mind game, but you got to do what works.
Don't beat yourself up over what you ate. Just move keep moving forward.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. New day, fresh start! I will be super diligent these next 9 days.

Don't beat yourself up! it's so hard to suddenly say goodbye to everything! You are mainly trying to shrink the liver and make it easier/ safer for the doctor to do your surgery. I, as well as others, did a 'final meal' halfway between to 14 day fast; I split a rib eye and salad at a nice restaurant with my Hub; no harm done. Those foods are'nt gone forever and you won't even want them for a really long time. Be proud, you are on the road to a new life, learn to deal with disappointments gently so you can weather the bigger ones!

Reading this thread had been very encouraging and supportive. I'm on day 8 of a 3 week liquid diet and have struggled everyday with it. There's the physical side effects but mostly I miss the variety routine as good as much as I miss the chewing and carbs. I've been tempted so many times but my family and friends are being strict with me and keeping me on the straight and narrow (I think I'll eventually appreciate it :P)

I am on my two week preop and I have a list of things I have to eat every day without fail and unlimited non starchy veggies, so I don't think your broccoli splurge will hurt. I do agree with the chicken broth and you can mix a unflavored or chicken flavored Protein Drink in it also. I got to tell you I traveled for work these last three days and I was so thankful when we went to a buffet Wednesday night to have warm cooked vegetables instead of salad and shakes. Those warm things that are savory are helping but yes it is tough. I think we all in one way or another cheat or adapt to what we have to do, that clear liquid and preop part right before is extreme important, as a nurse I can say that. Not that shrinking liver back is not important but empty clean system is imperative. And these are just my opinions as I am only in this preop one week now and chose to travel during the first week for work which made it a HUGE challenge to be with coworkers eating normal in front of me. BUT I SURVIVED IT and we all will!!!

its hard im on my 7th day of the pre op diet and the shakes make me sick i cant stand them but what can you do i dont know if this is cheating or not but i do take bits of things my wife fixs chew them up and spit it out how bad is that

I feel as if no one is perfect. Keep pushing and done forget the reason your doing this. You must dedicate your mind body and soul.

@ I've been wanting to do that same thing. I miss the sensations of chewing food and different tastes!