Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I Went Swimsuit Shopping

Yesterday, my poor husband and I went to a bunch of different stores in an attempt to find a bathing suit for me. We are going to Tennessee with my parents, my aunt, and my sister's whole family (husband and 4 kids) at the end of March. There's a hot tub at the cabin we're sharing and I wanted to be able to use it! But that meant finding a bathing suit that wouldn't strike terror into the hearts of the young children that will be present.

Guys, despite my almost 75 pounds weight loss now, shopping for a swim suit was still a MISERABLE experience. My leg/thigh situation is quite tragic and while they have all sorts of clever ways of covering and slimming tummies, they have very few solutions for the loose skin, cottage cheese, huge thigh situation I have going on. I decided I really wanted boy shorts, because even though they accentuate my already huge hips, they do a little to "control" the upper thigh region. Unfortunately, boy shorts seem to be "out" this year in favor of 101 million varieties of swim skirts.

We finally found something I could live with just as Kohl's was closing last night. The top is a little big (my choices were a 16 or an 8), but it should be fine. I was a little bummed to have to get a tankini top instead of a bikini top, despite my awesomely flat stomach, because my VSG scars are still highly visible. :(

Hopefully next year I can go with the bikini top.

What a harrowing day!

Edited by JamieLogical

Sorry it was a bummer experience but yay for you for taking charge and getting one anyway. No way are you going to stay out of that hot tub after all your hard work!! Congrats on your weight loss!

I totally get it...it took me days of online searching to find the right suit. Trying off the rack stuff has never worked for me and I'm very particular in how the suit fits and looks. I would only get depressed going from store to store.

I had to compromise and focus on what I felt was really important: #1 my boobs need all the help they can get! Being 5'10 I also needed a suit meant for a long torso. I chose adjustable tankini's that go by bra size and push up. My inner thighs have a little extra skin, but not enough to cause too much worry. My legs look great in a swim mini that is slightly a-lined, and pretty good in briefs. So after days/weeks the search is over & Lands End made a lot of money!

Edited by ProjectMe

People are going to be impressed with your weight loss they won't notice...and hopefully you are so proud of your accomplishments that you will just be happy to be on vacation. Congrats on your progress! Have a great trip.

I'm sorry it was rough. I think I'd count it as a victory that they had suits available that fit me though. I bought one online at lands end last year, (it was a very cute suit) because in stores they would have had VERY limited, if any, options for a 3x suit. Yay for shopping normal stores- the end of shopping in plus sizes is on the horizon but not here yet for me.

I like board shorts intead of boy shorts...not clingy and cover part of the thigh.

I like board shorts intead of boy shorts...not clingy and cover part of the thigh.

I needed the "lift" that boy shorts gave. Like the loose skin gets pulled up into the shorts and held in place... if that makes any sense? Plus loose shorts makes my hips look even more ridiculously huge.

Swimsuit shopping is total anxiety. I wish they made flattering suits for modesty in small sizes. My matter how much weight I lose, a bikini is never gonna happen! Last year, I had to go for the tankini and skirt option to cover the thighs and belly skin. Don't love it, it is just okay. Dream suit would lift the girls (underwire at least though a little padding would be nice) hold in the tummy jiggles and cover the droopy thighs in a size 6.

I can sympathize- we're also going on vacation soon & same dilemma. Found a great tankini top @ Lands end with lifting underwire & a 1 piece also (so happy to have a Lands End Inlet nearby). The bottoms are tough, hoping to get swim shorts & boy shorts from Switsuitsforall on line & will see- I still have a larger waist proportionally, but saggy & deflated in the butt, thighs & chest! Plus swimsuits seem to be sized smaller. @@JamieLogical -What about a high waisted bikini?

@@JamieLogical -What about a high waisted bikini?

I really wanted one of those. Looked at all the options at Swimsuitsforall, because they have some very cute stuff. But, all of their high wasted bikinis have brief-style bottoms and I really really needed something that would cover the tops of my inner thighs.

Gravity is not our friend!????

I recently bought my first swim suit in over twenty years. My legs are a little saggy, but I'm dealing with it. Otherwise I look cute in a middle age women kind of way. It's a little tankini

It just doesn't get any better. I've gotten down to a size 2-4 and the only suits they make in those sizes are skimpy tiny bikini bottoms! I have way too much loose skin that needs to be covered for that! The boy shorts cut off at the wrong part of my thighs and the high waisted bikinis look odd on me too. I need a high cut brief of soemthing.

And Swimsuits for All is not, they only go down to a size 8!

I just got back from the vacation I bought my swimsuit for and I ended up not using it at all. We had a bad stomach bug circulating through our group (16 of us in all) and so no one ended up using the hot tub past the first night we were there. I didn't use it that first night because I was too tired after the long drive and just wanted to go to bed.

I am so sorry you were ill and couldn't swim or use the hot tub. Sounds like you will need to plan a post-vacation vacation or getaway so you can wear your new suit (or head to the YMCA).