Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still trying to decide which procedure to get. I have Diabetes so am leaning towards the Bypass since it has better resolution of Diabetes. But Bypass has a greater chance of complications then the Sleeve. Also I am worried that if my blood sugar goes low from my insulin injections that I can't take glucose tablets to correct for this. Any advice on which surgery is better for an insulin dependent diabetic?

Hi..what does your surgeon suggest would do you best? I'm sure you'll get alot of input..

I was all set on the sleeve, the ideal of redoing my plumbing kinda freaked me out, but after talking with my surgeon I changed to bypass. He said it is easier to fix a leak with the bypass than the sleeve and he thought I'd have a better chance at losing more weight with the bypass. Just talk it over with your surgeon & what you feel better about. Good luck! !!!

I am also Type II diabetic. I went in asking for sleeve but was experiencing painful bout of acid reflux at the time. While she didn't say she wouldn't do the sleeve on me, she thought I was a better candidate for bypass. She said that bypass is a better solution for acid reflux. She ordered a barium swallow upper GI and they found a small hiatal hernia. Nurse said it shouldn't prevent me from sleeve but as a diabetic, bypass is always a good choice. She said the weight loss is faster and often times diabetes goes in to remission fairly quickly. I was (and kind of still am) worried about the malabsorbtion also, and I am still not 100% sold on the bypass, but after processing and researching for 6 weeks, I am getting closer to accepting bypass. I want to get my endocrinologist's opinion but ultimately I will likely trust my surgeon's opinion for what she feels best option for me is for long term success.

As far as the meds, you may not even need insulin after the surgery and could be switched to oral meds if you need anything at all. There are chewable glucose tabs but again, hopefully you won't need those. (By the way, I have read a lot of people on here say swallowing pills wasn't an issue for their dr especially if small - M&M candy size or smaller.)

Will be anxious to see what you decide and will keep you posted on if I find any other information also and maybe we can make a firm decision together. :)

I'm a type 1 Diabetic with an Insulin pump, I had bypass in January and am really pleased with the results so far have lost 33 pounds, I will always be a diabetic on Insulin that never goes away , but I take half the amount I did previously and stopped taking Metformin. My blood sugar levels have never been so good!! When I do have low blood sugars I sip Apple juice slowly and I don't get any dumping, I have also tried dextrose that works fine, as it dissolves in my mouth, good luck with your decision ????

I am also type 2 diabetic with liver disease and my surgeon wouldn't do bypass because of the malabsorption and liver will not handle it. So he is doing the sleeve. Waiting for approval from insurance company which went out on Wednesday.

I am or better said WAS a type 2 diabetic prior to having gastric bypass this past jan,2015. Everything I read and what my doctor advised me was right, having diabetes along with high blood pressure, and elevated cholesterol, gastric bypass would be the better option. I am proud to say that I no longer take any medications for any of the things I mentioned. So talk to your doctor about this and he will probably advise the gastric bypass. Good Luck in what ever surgery you decide on. PS. did I mention that it feels wonderful not to be on any kinds of meds!!! :) :P :D :rolleyes:

I am a year post-op from bypass surgery and left the hospital not needing to take the Metformin any more. I had no complications and continue to do well. Have lost 120 lbs and am 5 pounds from my goal weight.

My surgeon decided for me because of my health issues. I'm sure yours will guide you down the right path.

There is not really a huge amount of research on the effectiveness of the sleeve on diabetes. RNY is still the gold standard.

I was moments away from going on insulin when I had my RNY. I'm still on metformin but my fasting levels have dropped from 150 to about 80. And my dose is much lower. Someone else will have to tell you about the sleeve. Good luck. ????