Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insomnia and the perils

:tired So, has anyone ever had a night of insomnia? I haven't had one since being banded till tonight. You see I really really need to sleep.

I gotta get up at 7a and do my exercise routine then take shower then get dressed then drive 45 min to Nashville pick up sister then drive 45 min back to Clarksville to pick up daughter then drive 60 min to Princeton, KY to Mom's spend time with her then go to Funeral home from 4p to 8p then take Mom home then drive 60 min to Clarksville drop off daughter then drive 45 min to Nashville to drop off sister then drive 45 min back to Clarksville and collapse in hotel room for the night.

Then next morning get up at 7a do exercise routine then drive to pick up daughter then drive 60 min to Princeton, Ky pick up Mom then go to funeral which starts at 11a then drop off Mom at home then drive 60 min back to Clarksville drop off daughter then drive 45 min to Nashville drop off car then check in at airport then run to catch plane to fly home.

WHEW!! Makes me tired just thinking of all that and yet here I am wide awake and can't seem to go to sleep.

Any great remedies you guys can share. I have tried the following tonight.

Benadryl 50 mg (only made me yawn nothing more)

Unisom 2 tablets (no results)

Chamomile tea (nothing)

Meditation (nothing)

Jacuzzi, which is in room (nothing but skin is nice and soft)

Nothing seems to be working tonight. I can't quite figure it out. SIGH!!

Well just needed to vent. Gonna go try to get some sleep one more time. If I can't go to sleep this time I am gonna get up and do some exercising. That will keep me from hitting the vending machines. LOL!!

Penni,

Stay away from th jacuzzi. it will wake you up..ould be part of your trouble sleeping.

Your going thru a lot right now so your body is just "out of sorts". You'll probaly surprise yourself and handle it and then pass out as soon as you get home.

What works for me is to turn on tv and find a real good interesting program then sit and watch.. Never fails I'll faal asleep as soon as the plot gets good.

Greg

I have been watching this darn flipping TV all night. The problem is I always find something I am really interested in and never fall asleep. LOL!! SIGH!!

The jacuzzi usually relaxes me enough to get drowsy and then I fall asleep. Tonight it had the opposite effect or is it affect? I am getting silly now.

I won't be worth chit tomorrow. OK gonna go and try it one more time. Wish me luck. If I don't fall asleep then I will be back. LOL!!

Penni,

Let me sign you to sleep,

Rock a bye baby in a tree top etc etc etc.... LOL

Have to save the voice for Choir tomorrow..(Well actually it is tomorrow)

Have to sing La Dante Domini tomorrow. It pre dates Bach its that old but a beautiful Song. (all in latin)

Hey maybe if I don't stop writting here I'll bore you to sleep LOL.

Greg

Penni, I so feel for you. Insomnia always strikes me the night before a big day--not a coincidence, I don't think. It also hits me sometimes out of the blue for no reason, and is the worst when I've gone to bed early and get woken up at around midnight. Then I'm ALWAYS up for the rest of the night. Unless...

I've tried all the various remedies and FINALLY found two that work for me every single time. Valerian root is one, and melatonin is the other. They're natural remedies and should be available at any store with a large Vitamin section, and definitely at GNC and places like that. Valerian is stinky and comes in large caplets, so since banding I've switched to melatonin, which comes in tiny little white pills. They work amazingly well because all that happens is my eyes start to close and my mind settles down. Poof! I'm alseep. And there's none of that drug hangover I used to get with diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in both Benadryl and Unisom).

Pick some up for next time. And good luck today!!

Thanks Alexandra, I will go get some Melatonin. Have been meaning to pick some up before now. I finally was able to get some sleep. Two hours to be exact. SIGH!! It is gonna be a LONG LONG day for me and the family. Not looking forward to it at all.

Decided to skip workout this morning and go get Breakfast. So off to the nearest Breakfast joint. That would be either, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, McDonalds, Burger King, Krystal, White Castle, etc you get the picture. I will probably elect Cracker Barrel since I can at least do moderately healthy there. LOL!! What am I thinking I am in the South where Fried Foods is considered a staple. LOL!! Hey I was born and raised here so I can make fun.

Ok Off I go. Back later for an update on things.

I feel for you Penni

I have been suffering from Insomnia for the past 6 years...it sucks!!! The 2 best nights sleep I have had in years where the 2 nights in Vegas with my roomates Vera & Carol

My insomnia is the reason I made my room reservation for Vegas originally for just myslef because I was afraid that who ever bunked with me would suffer as well from my insomnia. I have my TV on all night. Im up and down all night..drives my husband batty!

Yours could be just from stress and mind chatter ...Xanax works well to calm & relax me

Have you tried Ambien? I've been an insomniac for years. It's a prescription sleep aid that doesn't make you feel "hung over" the next a.m, or leave you with a dry mouth. It works really fast, so you need to be ready to go to bed when you take it. Also, you need to be able to get 8 hours straight, uninterrupted sleep. But you will get a refreshing night's sleep.

I can't sleep if my brain is spinning in circles, but single-malt scotch used to work for me. :D

About that Southern cooking -- check out Shoney's or Morrison's (big in Alabama; I don't know about KY-TN). Shoney's has a great breakfast buffet with fresh fruit and grits. Morrison's is cafeteria-style and usually has something kinda nutritious and not loaded with grease.

Well, Penni, by now you are certainly in the car with all that crazy driving. Please be careful. I feel for you. Those nights without sleep are awful. I hope you are feeling OK (or at least somewhat OK). When I can't sleep, I usually get out of bed and read. It usually helps me sleep, but even if it doesn't, I feel better when I'm not in bed worrying about sleep and tossing and turning. I've also used valerian root. It might have helped a little. It sounds like your night of insomnia was caused by the fact that you were going to have such a hectic couple of days. But I've also found that when I eat less in the evening I sleep better.

Nancy

I have chronic insomnia, and I have found something that helps me. I take coral Calcium at bedtime. Make sure you get a brand which has the balanced formula of 2/1 calcium/magnesium. In other words, if it has 1000 mg calcium, it should have 500mg magnesium. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer, and you don't wake up feeling groggy or goofy. At least not anymore than usual!

Hope you sleep better tonight.

I am sorry to hear of your loss, Penni.

Uh...Not being able to fall asleep is miserable.

The only thing I've found to really work for me is meditation. It sounds cooky but it works. I rumminate so much at night. It's almost like the minute the light turns off my mind turns on. Sometimes I fall asleep anyway. Sometimes I take Unisom- but then I just rumminate in slow motion :-).

So, I learned to meditate and clear my mind. It takes practice but now, if I need to, I can meditate for ten minutes- totally clearning my mind, focusing on my breathing, feeling a peaceful bright white light fill my mind and body...and I'm out. Like I said, it took practice but now it works for me- especially when I'm at a new place...

I hope you have a chance to rest soon, Penni. I'm thinking of you!!!

Megan

I must have a weird kind of insomnia. I can hardly stay awake past 9pm, then I wake at around 1:30 or 2 and can't go back to sleep. Drives me CRAZY!!

Those of you with chronic insom-Have you had a sleep study? If not, it is definately worth a try. I have dealt with insomnia for years, as well, and "Praise the Lord and Thank Dr. Cribbons" I have been sleeping regularly ever since I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and started using the c-pap. I had been to doctor after doctor and tried many things. Its amazing how much better you feel when you finally start sleeping good.