Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the hardest part of your decision?

I am still in the pre op phase..but honestly it has all been hard, waiting for all the different appts, the money I have put out so far, (and so much more to go) other's opinion ' s , hearing people tell me I am not big enough to need surgery, the thoughts of loose skin, Hair loss, relationship challenges, ALL of it is HARD. But that's why I am here to get the support that I need to get through it all and so far it has been a huge blessing. I hope you find support and comfort within the community as I have.

The hardest part for me is my husband's insecurities. And him pouting about how he's gonna miss my cushion. But he knows it's gonna make me happy to finally be able to be active and not almost die. Lol and to simply walk into a store and get clothes. He said I'm going to be hanging with a new crowd and shopping new places. Ummm I'm not moving. I'm going to be working the same place and going to Walmart for clothes. Maybe rue 21 since we have one. Lol

@@heav85 I have a work friend who told me I better not get cocky when I lose my weight or she'll shove Twinkies down my throat until I get fat and nice again.

The hardest part for me is whether to have this surgery at all. I have the lap band (2008) and it has been a total failure. It never did one thing it was promoted to do including improving any medical conditions I had. I lost 75 lbs but only 15 from the band. Gained back 30.

The things I can't do in life are mostly due to my chronic back conditions and arthritis, not my weight. I have been exercising for almost 15 years. My surgeon said I could lose "as much as 45 lbs".

So, I believe that all WLS is a crap shoot and you don't know until after you have it whether you'll be one of those who posts in "success stories" and how wonderful it is and changed your life for the better or whether you'll be one who will post in "complications" and regret getting the surgery because now you are living with things you didn't have before without the benefits.

That is why at age 64 and having gone through this before I am reluctant to have another WLS and "borrow trouble". So, right now, I am leaning toward not getting the sleeve. But I have a lot of time and much more thinking to do.

I'm kind in the same boat as @JamieLogical.

My husband is my biggest supporter, but the other night was questioning why am I going to have surgery since I've lost 11 lbs since my first visit with my surgeon. (January 13th). He said I'm doing great losing weight for surgery - why couldn't I do this in the past?

We've been married for almost 35 years now, and he knows the struggle I've gone through with my weight. We divorced in 2008 and I lost quite a bit of weight because of that. We got back together and remarried in 2009. And shortly thereafter I had foot surgery which kept me down for about six weeks.

I've fallen off the diet wagon so many times I lost count! Knowing I'm going to have this surgery, and following my surgeons requirements to lose weight - I'm seeing good results; which has made me want to work harder!

He can't understand why I'm doing so good losing the weight because I'm having surgery, and why I couldn't of done this in the past? That hit me hard! I asked him the question - how many times have I tried and how many times have I failed? I just couldn't stay on task when I was dieting. I failed Weight Watchers three times and even had a go with Adkins - that failed when I went on a cruise!

I look at it this way. Getting the sleeve will be the one and only tool that will help me to stay on task. It will teach me how to eat healthier, and to eat less!

Hopefully all of his questions will be answered this weekend. I'm having him go with me to my group session at my WLC.

Edited by mclorrie

I really didn't have a hard time with making a decision. I'm 33 and have been trying to conceive for almost 8 years. With numerous attempts of IVFs I did become pregnant until 9 weeks later when I lost my precious twins. At that point I developed depression over losing my babies. Resorting to overeating. With my polycystic ovaries it became hard for 1 to lose weight and 2 to become pregnant. But what really broke me was when my insurance company denied me for another IVF treatment and that i had 5% chance at conceiving. This is when I realized that my dreams of becoming a mother had come to an end. Again I began overeating. This past December my husband decided he wanted the be sleeved and I that point I also made the decision to get sleeved 1 for my health and 2 to start a family we've been so long struggling to create. I'm so ecstatic that medicine came up with this tool. It's a second chance and it gives me hope. :-)

The decision wasn't hard at all it was all the waiting for the surgery day that stinks!

@@smiranda I can relate. My husband and I can't concieve at my weight either. Its hard.

@@Elode the waiting is a killer!

I think a lot of people who have never considered bariatric surgery don't realize how hard of a decision it is.

Truly.

My biggest issue was support of my husband. He just kept saying you can do it, you don't need to do that, its so drastic.

I finally said, you don't have to like it, but I need your support. I've been thinking about surgery for 10 years! Finally after 2 babies, its "my" time to get with it. I'm already fit. I love working out.. I just can't get the eating right.