Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely a no no for me as well.

My soda substitute has been Vitamin Water Zero and the occasional diet Snapple. Three months ago I was addicted to Coke Zero and soda in general. I don't feel that way now, and I don't want to risk a relapse. I did however look up carbonation (I would like an occasional beer) and it's been discussed in much length on this board and others. One of the best responses I've seen is from a competing website:

"Great question! The conventional wisdom is that carbonated beverages should be avoided after gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Reasons stated include potential stretching of the pouch or sleeve and uncomfortable bloating caused by the expanding gas. These reasons make common sense, but to the best of my knowledge have never been tested in an objective manner. I suppose one would have to have half of a randomized group drink sodas for five or ten years and the other not. So you can see that that's just not going to happen. The question "do sodas stretch the pouch" will remain unanswered.

Another reason that surgeons advise against sodas is the possibility that drinking calorie free sodas will pave the way to drinking sugary sodas. Again, I don't know if that's likely or not, but drinking sugar sodas is the kiss of death to successful weight loss maintenance after bariatric surgery.

Really drinking any calorie containing beverages including juice bar drinks, vegetable juice, sodas, sports drinks, kids sugar drinks, ice tea containing sugar, coffee with milk, and beer will lead to intake than more calories than needed and weight gain. Now does that mean No Milk, No Juice.....? Well not really. It just means that if you drink liquid calories, you have to figure it into your daily calorie allotment and eat less of other foods. Since many calorie containing liquids have little nourishment other than sugar, that means eating less healthy stuff. A bad trade off. To summarize, if you do drink calorie containing liquids, make sure they are nutritious and include the calories in your daily calorie allotment. If they are of little nutritious value, make them small, occasional, a real treat. So have that glass of orange juice or glass of milk or glass of wine, but remember that they contain about 100 - 120 calories so skip something else and keep your calorie budget intact. Drink your calories responsibly." Dr. Charles Callery

I'm a patient of Dr. Callery's and I'm 4.25 yrs. out. I have been super compliant EXCEPT I've never stopped drinking diet soda. I think I cut back to 1-2/day during my first weeks post-op. As far as I can tell, I have suffered no ill effects. I drink any type of zero calorie but sweetened carbonated beverage I find. I drink flavored iced teas that I mix with 50/50 diet 7up or similar beverage at restaurants. I've lost 98 lbs. total, I'm now 154 lbs and 5'5". I'd like to lose another 10-15 lbs. I don't know if eliminating carbonation would help, but from everything I've ever heard, I shouldn't indulge in it.

A friend here recently linked me to a video where the mythbusters tested what happens if you drink diet coke and then eat mentos. The mentos did nothing, but the carbonation in the diet coke alone blew that stomach up like it was the motherfreaking fourth of July!

SCARY!

I definitely wouldn't recommend any kind of carbonation at all, especially after seeing that!

I was given the okay to drink prosecco (basically italian champagne). I've not had any problems and it's a lower calorie/sugar option for occasional alcohol.