Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New face.. New Make up

Ha ha, maybe I should!

@@MichelleTN - I haven't used that in years! I played around with it in high school/college. Unfortunately it's not very brown gal friendly.

Gotcha

Here's the Fondation finder for it. It might help if they have any new colors.

http://www.merlenorman.com/WebForms/FoundationFinder.aspx

I think the better brands are worth the money, usually. There are some things that are ok in the drugstore brands. I really like IT eye liners, because they stay put all day. I like Naked 3 by Urban Decay, as someone posted above. I thought all that shimmer might be too much for my age, but it's not. I also like Urban Decay Perversion Mascara, too. However, it's really hard to get off!

I know what you mean about things shifting. I have always loved makeup, and have worn it every day since I was about 12, lol. At 52 and 140 pounds lighter, I had to update my products, shades, etc. You can go to any department store or Ulta or Sephora and get some tips. Be careful though, or you could walk out spending several hundred in products.

I usually shop at Ulta, and I signed up for their discount card, and they give you coupons and discounts frequently, so you could build up over time. They also carry their own brands, which isn't too bad. They have the usual drug store brands all the way to the higher end stuff, so you're covered when you go there.

That used to be the case, but honestly most of the makeup companies are own by conglomerates now and they often manufacture in the same factories both their drug store and retail products. You'd be surprised what companies Estee Lauder owns. Like I said, I judge by pigmentation and durability. The exceptions to that for me are professional level products like Ben Nye, Kryolan or RCMA cosmetics. In my own personal kit I have a healthy mix of both.

I mix high-end and drugstore. I love Smashbox, IT! Cosmetics, Yves Saint Laurent for lip products, and Make Up Forever. I don't buy high-end mascara, though. You can get great mascara from Cover Girl and Loreal for under $10 and it's just as good.

That used to be the case, but honestly most of the makeup companies are own by conglomerates now and they often manufacture in the same factories both their drug store and retail products. You'd be surprised what companies Estee Lauder owns. Like I said, I judge by pigmentation and durability. The exceptions to that for me are professional level products like Ben Nye, Kryolan or RCMA cosmetics. In my own personal kit I have a healthy mix of both.

Not sure if you were responding to me, but no, it's still the case that I think better brands are usually worth the money, because it's still my opinion, lol. And even when things are manufactured in the same facilities, it still may (or may not) be the same quality. However, as I also stated, I do think some less expensive products are fine. Also, not all products are good for all people.

I read somewhere that foundation is really worth spending more on because the higher-end lines have more options for colors than the drugstore lines. I'm no expert, and do not wear make up every day because I do direct patient care and usually end up sweating it off, but I like to wear make up on the weekends or special occasions. I spend a little more on foundation, lipstick, and eye shadow and then top it off with my maybelline mascara.

Edited by missheidi47

I like bare minerals for the everyday stuff. I hate that I'm older now. I love all glittery dark stuff that I can't wear anymore. I guess that's why I used to do stripper make up for 16yrs lol

I agree. I refuse to spend lots of money on mascaras. Especially when they have to be tossed every 2 -3 months.

@MichiganChic - I wasn't responding to you in particular. I quoted your post to discuss that one point. Of course you opinion is as valid as anyone else who posts on these boards. My point is for someone just starting out there is no need to feel they must spend money on high end makeup when the formulations of many drug store brands are just as good. Especially established brands like Revlon, E.L.F. and NYX to name just a few. As I mentioned before I have everything from professional lines, to high end retail brands to drug store brands.

@@missheidi47 - Personally I think that your foundation is the basis for a good face. If there is one place you should send money it's on the foundation. However many high end retail brands historically didn't offer wide ranges of color. If you were on either ends of the color spectrum, very pale or very dark, they couldn't accommodate. That has changed with the emergence of lines like MAC, Coverfx, IMAN, etc.... but prior to say, 10 - 15 years ago pickings were slim. However since your foundation is what covers most of your face, you want to make sure you get a quality foundation that your skin likes. Sometimes that does mean spending a little more.

hard candy mascara has become my absolute favorite of all. It's 6$ at Walmart. Love that stuff.

I hate wearing mascara. If I do I just wear a darkening coat. If I'm going out, false eyelashes. I already have dark circles that no concealer can hide. mascara, even waterproof always gives me raccoon eyes.

I have more make up than a sane person should have, lol. That said, it's all higher quality and primarily MAC, Bare Essentuals, Lancôme, Smashbox, Urban Decay, etc. I do believe the higher quality brands make a difference. More pigmentation, smoother application, etc. Good brushes make a difference too. As our face ages or gets wrinkly you really don't want too much sparkle or make up that settles in fine lines. A primer is a must for foundation.

I'd make an appointment at MAC, they seem the most trained to me. IMHO

if you really want the fake lash look without fake lashes.... but Younique 3D Fiber lashes. i started selling it couple years ago and i have to say it the best on the market. I don't sell it anymore because i don't have time, but you can by on line. and on Ebay.... they do have impostors... but

I am a mascara *****....lol

I don't do lashes daily because the strip lashes hit my glasses, I'm too lazy to wear my contacts everyday and individuals take too much time. What I do is only apply mascara to my upper lashes only and tight line my eyes on the bottom. A quick dusting of set powder and I have no problems with runny or racoon eyes.

if you really want the fake lash look without fake lashes.... but Younique 3D Fiber lashes. i started selling it couple years ago and i have to say it the best on the market. I don't sell it anymore because i don't have time, but you can by on line. and on Ebay.... they do have impostors... but

I am a mascara *****....lol

Any suggestions on putting this on? I bought some and struggle all the time!