Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting hungry already??

I was banded on 5/9 and have my 4 week post op appt tomorrow. I was so faithful on my eating until one week ago. I just couldn't take the shakes anymore!!! I wanted food and I ate food. Now, I did chew and chew and chew to make sure I never got sick from the food but I can eat everything with no issues! I had my first steak yesterday afternoon and it was so good (outback). Now I don't eat everything like I use to but I can eat whole wheat bread & rice in very small amounts. They said I wouldn't be able to do this after the Band.

Did any else eat real food so fast and not have issues? I should just now be starting on small bites of normal food at this point but i started early. Knock on wood I have had no food issues like I have seen posted. I have only had surgery related pains where my port is and burping after I eat. I use to think (before surgery) it was because I drank a lot of carbonated soft drinks but I still burp after eating.

I hope eating normal foods so soon hasn't messed me up. I guess I'll find out tomorrow by Doc when I go in. Maybe that is what I need.. and good ole' hand smack by the Doc for eating everything so soon.

Kitty

:welldoneclap:

You lost 16 lbs in a month and you are eating normal food? are you sticking to the 4 to 5 oz of food at a meal and not drinking? I had my surgery 5/23 and have been afraid of testing the waters...more so because I'm enjoying the weight loss. I think the diet is intended to instill habits as much as it is to protect the new stomach.

I was banded on the 5/24. I had no pre op diet but the post op has killed me...I was having 2oz of liquid with Water and tea every 2 hours...Then they moved me to creamy soups...Same deal...I was starving to death...I just started drinking more at a time...I was a binge eater so I feel like Im binging on Soup but is that possible...I havent had anything with texture so Im hoping I havent stretched my pouch. I am only having about 600 calories a day and have lost 10 lbs since surgery..I went back to the gym today and walked 2 miles...That will help. My post op appt is Thur...Im curious to see what the dr says...Im going to beg him for a fill even though I doubt Ill get one...Good luck all...

Hi Deb

I haven't been on here much lately. I was wondering how you were doing? How was your surgery? How are you feeling besides hungry?:hungry: I wasn't hungry for a couple weeks but I was really swollen. I'm happy that my swelling is finally going down. If your hungry you might not be as swollen. I hope you feel better soon,keep me posted!

Did any else eat real food so fast and not have issues? I should just now be starting on small bites of normal food at this point but i started early.

I was banded on 5/16 and had my first follow-up on 5/24. My doc cleared me (only 8 days post-op) to eat whatever I could tolerate. The only thing I haven't been able to handle was this past Friday when I ate a small chunk of raw pineapple. I won't do that again! I chewed it really well, but it just sat there and hurt. I chugged a 20 oz bottle of tea (Lipton sugar-free white tea BTW, there are at least 3 or 4 flavors and they're GOOD) and washed it down rather than risk it coming back up.

You lost 16 lbs in a month and you are eating normal food? are you sticking to the 4 to 5 oz of food at a meal and not drinking? I had my surgery 5/23 and have been afraid of testing the waters...more so because I'm enjoying the weight loss. I think the diet is intended to instill habits as much as it is to protect the new stomach.

When I say "normal" I mean I am eating anything I want with limits. I don't eat the same amounts I did before surgery. But I went up a Stage compared to what my doctor has as an average Stage. The Soups, Protein or mushy baby food wasn't cutting it. I started to get headaches and felt really tired like I had ran a marathon 85% of the time. So I started eating balanced normal food (chew, chew, chew, chew mind you) but small portions and tried to drink a shake between meals twice a day. Now, drinking is a whole other subject... I am going to talk to my doc about tomorrow. I still can't eat certain foods without having a small sip of Water. For me that is harder than not having sweets!! For example, one meal I had chicken, green Beans & sliced apples (all small portions) but by the end of eating my 7 green Beans (Italian style) I had to get a small bit of Water in my mouth because it was so dry. Before surgery I drank 3-4 glasses of water with my meal (or soft drink) so that seems to be the hardest for me.

As far as my weight loss most of it was the first 2.5 weeks then I slowed down to 1.5 pounds a week. 3 day before surgery liquid diet, 2 weeks after all liquids or strained soups so I'm sure that is what jumped the weight loss. Now I noticed being on the same number for 3-4 in a row before I see any ounces going down. (No I'm not that into the scale, but my scale shows ounces as well)

I still don't go into a marathon eating binge like I use to. But I just had to have food 1.5 weeks sooner than what the Stages were listed in my book from my doctor. I have been very careful about portions and what I eat up until this weekend when I just had to have a bit of my favorite steak from Outback. Even then I ate 1 small slice of the bread, 3 cheese fries, 5 small bites of the Ceasar salad and 1/4 of the 9oz Sirloin and again I chewed and chewed the steak until I thought my jaw would collapse because I am afraid of blockage. (even though I am not filled yet)

I'll let you guys know what the doc says. I am now worried, after the fact I know!! I guess I let the worst of me win with food. But I really like to think I haven't messed anything up because of the chewing. I turn it into mush as much as I can to try to be safe while getting the flavor of real food.

Kitty

Hi...

I was banded on May 1st. When I went to see my doc. on May 25th he said go ahead and eat real food. Just chew well. So, boy was I glad. I could not get my intestines to cooperate until I started eating real food.

So, now my intestines work fine, but I can eat ANYTHING now. NO restriction whatsoever.

I am following the waiting to drink rule. getting the Protein in, but I am eating too much because I am hungry like before the band.

I get my first fill on June 15, and I am hoping for good restriction then. I cannot go on like this.

I don't feel like anything has happened to my band because of eating real food early. Who knows. I can eat, bread, rice, anything at all, But, I hate being hungry so often. Like before.

Let me know how your doctor's appointment goes. I will be eager to know what his take on it is.

I initially lost 23 lbs, but am up at least two lbs.

Martha in Michigan