Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting hungry already??

I had my surgery on Tues and think I may be feeling my first hunger pangs! Is this early for this to happen?:help:

Nope....I started being hungry about four days after surgery as well. Call your doctor's office tomorrow and let them know. You may be able to start the Protein Shakes ...Good luck.

I was banded on the 29th of May and haven't been hungry yet. I'm pretty sick of the broth and can hardly wait to get to the next step. I've had such pain in my left shoulder that it's been hard to think of food. They say it's just the gas but it sure does hurt.

I didn't know we could have a shake before the post-op visit. I wouldn't mind one right now.

I had my surgery on Tues and think I may be feeling my first hunger pangs! Is this early for this to happen?:help:

I was banded the same day and have been really freakin hungry for 2 days now. In fact I've been posting about this miserable post op diet and how there's no way I can adhere for another week. Everything else seems to be settling out so I cheated a little tonite and had 3oz of low fat yogurt and a little diluted fruit juice and it made all the difference. I feel so much better!

Not recommending you cheat but I'm having the exact same experience. My doc's diet has me on way less than 100 calories per day and zero Protein. I've lost 8 pounds in 3 days and 27lbs in about 3 weeks. That seems extreme to me.

<p>Deb and I both had surgery 5/29. I'm having more and more hunger, too. Today I had to superwhip some lowfat cottage cheese with canned pears, Any whey Protein Powder, and milk to make a thickened slurry that finally satisfied my hunger. The yogurt smoothies weren't quite holding me all the time. Didn't have a problem drinking it, just sipped it over span of time. Can't wait to advance the diet in the hopes I'll feel less hungry!</p>

Deb, MaryM and Podna

Well it looks like we're the 29er's club. It's good to know that we're pretty much all in the same stage of the game. I lost 10 lbs from the 19th of May until the day after surgery and an additional 12 lbs by today. How is that possible? It must be Water since all I've had was liquids.

I had a Protein shake this morning because I felt like I needed something nutrional. I'll hold off on any more shakes until I see the doctor on Wednesday. I tell my friends what I get to eat starting on the 6th and they just look at me with concern. I can't wait to eat Cream of Wheat, yogurt and creamed Soups. At this point they sound like delicacies.

Banded: 5-29-07

Beginning weight: 258

Lost: 22 lbs

Goal: 150

Yowza, 100 calories a day?!?!?! That seems incredible to me. I was sent home from the hospital on full liquids! Which I do say was awesome because I was hungry right away. But I have very little swelling or restriction so I'm happy. Yes, I will lose slower than you but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you are starving, talk to your doc about it.....mine moved me to pureed foods on Day 10 because I could tolerate full liquids with no problems - I've never had a single bout of nausea. For that I'm thankful!

Good luck to you! We are on the way to a healthier life! :welldoneclap:

Yowza, 100 calories a day?!?!?! That seems incredible to me. I was sent home from the hospital on full liquids! Which I do say was awesome because I was hungry right away. But I have very little swelling or restriction so I'm happy. Yes, I will lose slower than you but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you are starving, talk to your doc about it.....mine moved me to pureed foods on Day 10 because I could tolerate full liquids with no problems - I've never had a single bout of nausea. For that I'm thankful!

Good luck to you! We are on the way to a healthier life! :welldoneclap:

Yeah no kidding! I spoke with the nurse this morning (my doc is on vacay) and she browbeat me for the apple juice saying it is empty calories. She did reluctantly allow me to move slowly to the phase two diet which includes cottage cheese, eggs, yougurt, etc. She reminded me though that I was to have absolutely no smoothies, Protein shakes, etc.

I'm beginning to think my doc combines a few purposes with this post op diet.

1. Protect the pouch

2. Begin to retrain eating habits and expectations

I have no issue protecting the pouch of course. But I wasn't a huge eater, sugar lover or anything like that before. Basically, I was a "bad" eater. Meaning that I would just not eat until I got so freakin hungry that I would eat whatever I could find to take the hunger away and eat it fast so it would then be too much. I understand the new "rules" about eating and have no issue with retraining to that. My problem now is that I'm starving, have no energy and must be losing muscle mass too. I do worry that I'm further damaging my metabolism too.

Bottom Line: I'll do whatever necessary to protect the pouch. But, I think now is a poor time to retrain eating habits. I am grateful that she agreed to move to stage two. If I can just get a few ounces of yogurt or cottage cheese twice a day I'll be very happy!

It amazes me the difference between post-op diets. I was on clears for 24 hours, then here's a sample of the diet I'm to have for the next two weeks:

Breakfast: 1/4 cup skim milk & 1/4 cup apple juice

Lunch: 1/4 cup low fat, strained cream of chicken Soup & 1/4 cup skim milk

Dinner: 1/4 cup low fat, strained cream of mushroom Soup & 1/4 cup pineapple juice

Between I am to constantly sip on high Protein shakes and Water or crystal light.

I wonder why some surgeons have patients on two weeks of Clear Liquids. Seems to me, the Protein is needed to help heal. Ah well, we'll all get the same result in the end...IF we follow the pouch rules :welldoneclap:

I had lapbad on May 23. There does seem to be a wide variety to diets. My dr. has me on liquids (lowfat cream Soups, pudding, yogurt and definitely Protein drinks) for til first f/u which is thursday. I'm supposed to have 4oz 6times a day which is almost impossible. I am supposed to get 50-60 grms of protein a day! I feel great. No trouble with hunger (just boredom) or nausea. I actually got my walking up to a mile yesterday and I can't imagine doing that on a clear liquid diet. Down about 12lbs which is about a 1lb a day! Can't wait for pureed diet on Thursday though!:clap2:

I was banned on 3/29/07 and am down 25 lbs. I was told to have 20g Protein daily mandatory for healing and minimum hair loss. Cream of chix soup/strained...tomato Soup...V-8...chicken broth and all could have the Protein powder mixed in. Then I went to yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, and puddings to be added to my choices. Then I added mushy veggies and cheesy eggs. Finally chicken, pork and fish all soft and small would be added to my menu planning.

It would be nice if the dieticians and docs could all agree. Guess we are part of the testing process.

I was banded on the 31st. . I too am on a liquid diet for 2 weeks! I am taking down the broth just fine. .as well as Water and crystal lite. Today, I can honestly say. . that I am HUNGRY!! I've put a call in to my nutritionist to see if I can move on to the cream soups! Wish me luck!!!

Hi! I'm a 5/29 bander as well. My 1-wk post-op appointment is tomorrow morning.

I am hungry!

My poor tummy rumbles & grumbles so. Today it's been the worst. It's funny to be dreaming of creamy Soups, lol!

I don't understand the no Protein post-op plans! I had to drink a pro shake before they'd release me last week! My first 14 day plan is: 70 g pro (shakes), Water, crystal light, sugar-free Jello & popsicles, Decaf tea/coffee, & low-sodium broth. That was also my 14 day pre-op plan, so I've been following it (perfectly, may I brag) for 21 days now! :welldoneclap:

I began @ 317+, was at 295 on surgery day, and was at 289 this a.m. ("official" weigh-in day is Tuesdays, tho). So that's what, almost 30 lbs!

I do feel lightheaded at times... mostly in the a.m. before I've had my 1st pro of the morning... otherwise I'm feeling great! No gas pains, incisions healing great, etc. I do hiccup a lot more than before.

Good luck everyone!

I was banded on 5/9 and have my 4 week post op appt tomorrow. I was so faithful on my eating until one week ago. I just couldn't take the shakes anymore!!! I wanted food and I ate food. Now, I did chew and chew and chew to make sure I never got sick from the food but I can eat everything with no issues! I had my first steak yesterday afternoon and it was so good (outback). Now I don't eat everything like I use to but I can eat whole wheat bread & rice in very small amounts. They said I wouldn't be able to do this after the Band.

Did any else eat real food so fast and not have issues? I should just now be starting on small bites of normal food at this point but i started early. Knock on wood I have had no food issues like I have seen posted. I have only had surgery related pains where my port is and burping after I eat. I use to think (before surgery) it was because I drank a lot of carbonated soft drinks but I still burp after eating.

I hope eating normal foods so soon hasn't messed me up. I guess I'll find out tomorrow by Doc when I go in. Maybe that is what I need.. and good ole' hand smack by the Doc for eating everything so soon.

Kitty

:welldoneclap: