Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Baby is Driving!!

Oh My Gawd!!!

How - and when - did this happen?? Where did all the years go? My baby turned 16 today. I remember bringing him from the hospital! Today, he took his road test, passed that with flying colors and then we spent a fun filled hour at the DMV getting him his license.

Since it is his birthday, I thought it would be nice if I could take him and a couple of his friends to dinner - who was I kidding. As soon as we got back from the DMV, he dropped me off and was out and about with his friends. Two other friends drive so they went to a restaraunt with a whole passel of 'em in tow. The family of one of the boys owns a restaraunt in the University district here. It's about 20 minutes away. From what I hear they had a good time - and got a free meal out of the deal.

Tonight he and one of his friends are going to 'hang out' with some other friends (read 'girls').

Something tells me I am not going to see my son very much from now on!

Yes, it happens way sooner than we expect! Does Colorado have a restriction on new young drivers? In Texas, they can't drive (on their own) w/ their buddies for the first six (I think) months. The state just wants to give them time to "pay attention" first. My oldest son got his license w/ my DH and then promptly drove past an unloading school bus. Yikes! Now, get ready for that first fender bender, because you know it's going to happen. Good thing you got your band, or you'd be hitting the munchies about now!

Colorado does have restrictions on new drivers - but my son was grandfathered in under the previous laws. His only restriction is that he can't drive between midnight and 5 AM. However - I think the restriction on the number of kids in the car is a good one - and he agrees with me! So our rule is only other friend in the car unless he has specific previous permission from me.

I need to go over the unloading school bus thing with my son. I'm not sure he has ever even encountered one. It's a good lesson to go over again.

I am indeed prepared for the first fender bender. He's driving my old Pathfinder. It's 8 years old and has 195k miles on it - but it looks brand new and is in great shape inside and out. He has heated leather seats, power everything, great stereo system - the works. In order to afford insurance on it though, we had to take off the comprehensive coverage and the collision coverage. He knows that if he gets in an accident there isn't insurance to fix it. He'll have to drive around in a dinged-up car (assuming it is still driveable - if not - no more car)

As far as the munchies go - I don't have a fill yet - so no restriction AT ALL. I am going to get that taken care of with a quick trip to Tijuana on Monday/Tuesday. It's Friday night. I think I'll have a couple of glasses of wine....

My daughter is turning 15 Nov. 9th! She is already trying to get me to sign her up for drivers ed.! I wasn't even ready for her to go to High School!!!!! She went from wanting to be with Mom all the time to either being on the phone/computer with friends or being at some school function over night! Hey, her school band made it to AREA! She is in the color guard. ;-) More being away! I am still waiting to have my surgery but if I could go to Tijuana, I would have a margarita and maybe some flan!

Lauri

235 5'1"