Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Constipation: Advice Please

I understand that you are trying to be helpful but Water intake will not help someone that has the DS and is constipated. And raisin bran isn't advised because of the carb content. The only cure is increasing fat intake.

Use caution when giving out advice. The Duodenal Switch is totally different than all other weightloss surgeries. And bad advice can be lethal.

Great News! It looks like the fat content is working the magic! I have been above 110 grams for the past few days and all is moving again. Unfortunately now I am dealing with a thrombosed hemorrhoid that is a result of the Constipation I assume. Hopefully this will be over soon!

I am almost a year out with a RNY. I have had nothing but the exact opposite of your issue since surgery. Recently I just started Gummy Vitamins, no Vitamins before. Since starting the vitamins, my stool has been very firm.

Like me, I wonder if your vitamins are the cuprite. I swear by coffee to keep things moving. Raising your Fiber couldn't hurt.

Everything, everyone is advising will help. Your body is telling you, your diet is not balanced. You may be eating too much of an item or too little. If your constipated, you won't lose weight. This is hard to get past this period in your weight loss journey. Till you master it, I found Chia seeds to be a natural solution. You can buy them in natural food stores and regular markets. When this small seed is mixed with Water it becomes gel like. Helping to fill the colon, to move everything. It is known for helping Constipation and weight loss. It also makes you feel full. Put a teaspoon in a glass of Water, you will see how it changes. You can add it to water or juice, yogurt, oatmeal, shakes anything you eat. I have a teaspoon every day, constipated or not. It is part of my diet. Chia seeds are amazing. Good source of Omega-3 and Fiber. Hope this helps you.

Awesome! Thanks so much!

I have heard that about coffee and bowl movements, I just can't stand the taste of coffee.

Everything, everyone is advising will help. Your body is telling you, your diet is not balanced. You may be eating too much of an item or too little. If your constipated, you won't lose weight. This is hard to get past this period in your weight loss journey. Till you master it, I found Chia seeds to be a natural solution. You can buy them in natural food stores and regular markets. When this small seed is mixed with Water it becomes gel like. Helping to fill the colon, to move everything. It is known for helping Constipation and weight loss. It also makes you feel full. Put a teaspoon in a glass of water, you will see how it changes. You can add it to water or juice, yogurt, oatmeal, shakes anything you eat. I have a teaspoon every day, constipated or not. It is part of my diet. Chia seeds are amazing. Good source of Omega-3 and Fiber. Hope this helps you.

Chia seeds are not recommended whole for the Doudenal Switch as they won't stay in your gut !ong enough to be converted into useable fiber to affect constipation. And may actually compound the problem.

The DS needs its own website to avoid BAD advice from the other surgery patients.

I have heard that about coffee and bowl movements, I just can't stand the taste of coffee.

Coffee is unlikely to aid in softening bowel movements either. Fat. Stick will eating enough fat. Try to eat all carbs with fat.

Sorry but coffee has always made me go, even before surgery. I'm sure it varies from person to person like everything else does.

Sorry but coffee has always made me go, even before surgery. I'm sure it varies from person to person like everything else does.

I'm speaking as another Duodenal Switch patient which is a completely different weightloss surgery than the gastric bypass or any other surgery.

We need a dedicated locked out forum to prevent dangerous advice from the other surgeries. I know you are just trying to help but really it's not helpful for DS patients.

I'm speaking as another Duodenal Switch patient which is a completely different weightloss surgery than the gastric bypass or any other surgery.

We need a dedicated locked out forum to prevent dangerous advice from the other surgeries. I know you are just trying to help but really it's not helpful for DS patients.

WOW!!!!!!

As with any advice, all should be taken with a grain of salt. To suggest that anyone who has not had the same surgery should not be allowed in a community forum is rude. Yes all surgeries come with different restrictions, but so does each person. No two people have the same medical and not many folks on this site are actually professionals offering professional advice.

I have to say that in the time I have been on this message board, this is the first time I have felt insulted.

Edited by WildGrits

Or maybe, you know, the DS patients could just take the advice with a grain of salt as the surgery is different. They can still enjoy the support and camaraderie that comes from all of us "other" types of surgery. At least they can if they're not too busy being hypersensitive and prickly.

Or maybe, you know, the DS patients could just take the advice with a grain of salt as the surgery is different. They can still enjoy the support and camaraderie that comes from all of us "other" types of surgery. At least they can if they're not too busy being hypersensitive and prickly.

You read it as hypersensitive and prickly because you fail to understand that bad advice can be lethal.

I make sure my comments are ONLY on the DS forum and are to DS patients because that is my experience and my focus.

The number one cause of death in Bariatric patients is failure to follow guidelines for their surgery. Do you want to be the one that gives bad advice that leads to someones death? I don't. I'll be hypervigilant as long as people insist on giving out dangerous advice. I'm saving lives. What are you doing?

WOW!!!!!!

As with any advice, all should be taken with a grain of salt. To suggest that anyone who has not had the same surgery should not be allowed in a community forum is rude. Yes all surgeries come with different restrictions, but so does each person. No two people have the same medical and not many folks on this site are actually professionals offering professional advice.

I have to say that in the time I have been on this message board, this is the first time I have felt insulted.

The forum you are commenting is NOT a community forum. It is a DS forum. And as long as you insist on giving out harmful and unhelpful advice to DS patients I'll be there to help you not injure others.

It's not my intention to insult you. Just saving lives.