Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for friends my age going through the same.

You might try adding another 8 oz of Water to the shakes to make them thinner and less sweet. It will add to your total Fluid intake for the day, also, which is good. It may take an whole hour to drink one, though. After about a week, I started drinking cold fluids, and the shakes were better that way--just added a couple of big ice cubes.

Also, I was told to take the Vitamins just before a meal. Having something on your stomach cuts the after taste caused by the vitamins. Even taking them with a Protein Shake helps.

@@donnag53 - Congratulations on your upcoming sleeve!! I'm 59 (turning 60 in October) and I'm 4 months post-op as of yesterday. So glad I made the decision to have this surgery to help improve my health (not just for weight loss). When I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver, my PCP strongly recommended I have the RNY. I spent about a year researching the surgery, learned about the sleeve, talked with everyone I work with who has had either of these procedures, and decided the sleeve made the most sense to me. Despite having complications several days after surgery, I'm glad I had the surgery. Complications are NOT common for this surgery so please DO NOT WORRY about that. Some things I've learned along the way -- and, as others have mentioned, after surgery you will have to (and need to) SIP your water/liquids because taking too much in at one time can cause some momentary discomfort. That's been the hardest change for me because I like taking a big, long drink of cold Water at times. Also, once you transition to solid foods, be gentle with your new tummy - eating too much or too fast can cause some discomfort that last more than just a few seconds like the drinking too much lasts. I was a slow eater before surgery, but now I have to eat even slower so as to not cause discomfort. Needless to say, your hot food doesn't stay pipping hot long enough to get it all eaten (even though we're talking about just one egg, or 1/4-1/2 cup of something. Take your time eating!!! Very small bites, too. Also, your new tummy will make all kinds of gurgling sounds whether it's empty or full. It's funny to listen to, but a little embarrassing when others are around - my tummy gurgles are so loud sometimes. Don't overstock on Protein shakes or Meal Replacements pre-surgery as your tastes may change afterwards. I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes to supplement my Protein intake because without them I can't get to the daily minimum. I started using Unjury about 6 months prior to surgery and found that after about 2 weeks my craving for carbs, i.e. Pasta, etc., had decreased considerably. I bought some 1/2 cup containers to use for my lunch at work and they are the perfect size since that's about all I can eat at a meal. Know that you will lose hair with significant weight loss - this in only temporary as it will grow back. It was about week 12-14 when significant clumps came out while shampooing. The clumps have decreased in the past 2 weeks. My hair is much thinner now, but it will grow back. :) Increasing my exercise has helped a lot, too. I was exercising before surgery (walking on my lunch break), but that wasn't enough to really help facilitate the weight loss which is the only thing that will help reverse/stop my fatty liver condition. Another huge benefit of the surgery - I no longer have to take my diabetes or blood pressure medicine - immediate results following surgery.

You will do great after surgery as long as you do everything your surgeon and nutritionist tell you to do. Each person's journey is different although there are a lot of similarities. @livingfree! made some great points which prompted me to contribute to this thread. This journey is about improving your health, not just the weight loss. Good luck!!!

Happy Senior, are you doing OK? Hope it all went well, and that you are home and comfortable.

Congrats to all sleevers! Keep the faith. Lose the weight!

Hi, My name is Linda. I return to doctor Monday March 16. To my best knowledge

I have completed the pre-op checklist after Monday appointment for ANX breathing

Test. Hoping to set actual surgery date for Gastric Sleeve. Keep me in your thoughts.

I have been reading the literature and resources available on line. (Love Bariatric Pal posts.)

Ordered samples of Protein from Unjury, Isopure and Synthesis nectar. So far feeling like I

am preparing for my next step. The anticipation is almost overwhelming!!!!

Trying to keep everything in perspective....thanks everyone!

Hi, My name is Linda. I return to doctor Monday March 16. To my best knowledge

I have completed the pre-op checklist after Monday appointment for ANX breathing

Test. Hoping to set actual surgery date for Gastric Sleeve. Keep me in your thoughts.

I have been reading the literature and resources available on line. (Love Bariatric Pal posts.)

Ordered samples of Protein from unjury, Isopure and Synthesis nectar. So far feeling like I

am preparing for my next step. The anticipation is almost overwhelming!!!!

Trying to keep everything in perspective....thanks everyone!

Hello, Linda,

I can feel the nervousness in the tone of your posting. You are going to do just fine. Many of us have done what you will be doing and have had great results. Just do everything your doctor and nutritionist says to do. Remember: this time you will be doing something for yourself. This is for your better health. YOU come first!

I'm back home from surgery. I came home March 13th and I'm feeling absolutely great! I did not enjoy my three day hospital stay. The IV and pressure stockings drove me crazy.. so I'm glad to be home. The worst pain was the gas pain. Never experienced anything like it but luckily it passed after two days. I'm drinking Water and my shakes with no problem.

I'm full of energy....There was a moment after I got out of surgery that I had doubts about what I did but not anymore. I 'm feeling really well so I hope it continues. Seeing my surgeon and nutritionist on the 18th. Good luck to all.

Happy Senior: So good to hear that you are doing well. Amazing isn't it--like a new chance at life--well, almost. Today marks

six weeks since my surgery, and I am down 25 pounds, for a total of 69 since November. And I can move again! Trimmed all my shrubs yesterday and didn't have to take a break every five minutes. I still eat too fast once in a while, and have learned to stand up straight when I am swallowing those Jurassic Park size Vitamins, and they go down easier. Keep us posted.

Donna--How did it go? Doing OK--or floating away from drinking all the liquids?

How did I miss this thread? I had my sleeve surgery 2/3/2015. I am 62 and down 30 pounds- 10 on the 2 week pre-op diet. I feel great and am very happy with my results so far. I sometimes wish the weight would come off faster, but it is dropping. I had a pretty uncomplicated recovery except for nausea which I seem to always get from anesthesia.

So happy I did this and I guess this was the right time, since I have contemplated it for a few years.

Hooray for all the intrepid 60+ WLS people!

I'm 69 and had my sleeve on March 10th and like you I feel great. The Protein Shakes are getting a little old but I'm still getting 80 grams per day from them. The loss of hair scares me. I've lost 30 lbs as well. 17 pre op.

Continued success to you.

Hello Happy Senior, I too am worried about the Hair loss.< /p>

Just received SupplementJourney Biotin in the mail. My surgery date is April 1.

Could this be symbolic????? April Fools' Day!!! LOL

Look forward to reading more of your posts. I am 66 and getting a little nervous!

Good to read about others success stories!!!!

Hello Lady1putt... I still have my hair but I hear the Hair loss happens around the third month. I'm still having a hard time with my Protein Drinks but I' m getting them down...need to shop for different flavors. I'm on soft foods now and that helps. Still doing great and I even went shopping for clothes.

My pants are getting too big. How nice is that?

Good luck on your surgery...just follow doctor's orders. I believe it was Babilou who advised me to sip sip sip and walk walk walk while in the hospital which I did and it really helped. Good luck again and keep us posted.

@@HappySenior, have fun shopping, but don't go overboard. I had to give away tons of clothes that had barely, if ever, been worn because I went shopping too much, too soon. You will be astonished how quickly you go through sizes once you transition from plus sizes to regular sizes. Don't forget to check out thrift and consignment stores. You can often find fabulous clothes at fantastic prices in them.