Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

KEVORKIAN to be freed June 1 07!!!!!

He is 79 now.

He has served over 8 years of his 10 year sentence.

I have thought of him often and I am so glad he is getting out.

edie

Hey, That is good news. I support Euthanasia 100 %. It is my body and my right to choose. Right now I am able to live a normal life with the neurological condition that I have, but twenty years down the track it may very well deteriorate and I don't wish to live a miserable existance. In 2004 I went through a bad patch of having difficulty walking and controlling my bladder/bowels etc. Luckily I am very well right now and it is stable. I didn't work for much of 2004. MS can be a very bizarre disease.

I am back working and functioning very well now. I am even doing regular aerobic exercise. I don't know when this monster will rear its head in my life again and in what incarnation.

Basically if people are terminally ill and in pain, it is their body and their life, and their right to choose to exit this life.

Susannah

Thank goodness! I wish there were more like him in the world, and that the law would change to reflect people's empowerment over their own bodies and lives.

Thank goodness! I wish there were more like him in the world, and that the law would change to reflect people's empowerment over their own bodies and lives.

I'm so glad he is getting out before his death in prison. That would have been very sad. He's a courageous guy, indeed. Thanks, Jack!

Hey, That is good news. I support Euthanasia 100 %. It is my body and my right to choose.Susannah

I am in favor of legalized, physician assisted suicide, but not euthanasia. I couldn't tell for sure, Susannah....are you saying you support so-called "mercy killing"?

Hey Carelene, To clarify, I support Physician assisted suicide, and euthanasia. I know that the whole concept is laden with possible ethical dilemmas,one being what to do in the case of a person who is not capable of making a decision for themself etc?

Let me clarify it further. Where a person is of sound mind and able to make the decision for themself I would support it fully. Where a person is unable to make that decision or they have not made previous provisions for this particular scenario I may not deem that it was appropriate to proceed.

Susannah

I support him 100%. If I am in constant pain, have a lousy quality of life, and no chance for improvement, then it should be my option to end my life if that is my wish. Additionally, if I have reached the point that I am unable to make that decision, or clearly communicate my wishes, but had clearly communicated to my loved ones that I would not want to live that way, then they should be able to make that decision for me with the knowledge of how I would or would not want to live.

I think Mr. Kevorkian is a wonderful person. People should not have to suffer in pain from terminal diseases like cancer, aids, etc. I have saw many people deal with the agony of these tragic conditions. They shouldn't have to suffer. I support physician assisted suicide.

I Am Also Glad. I Beleive In "mercy Killing". I Work In Health Care And Have Watched So Many People Suffer For So Long. Assisted Suicide Should Be Our Right As Humans- I Mean We Can Make The Decision To Lay Our Pets To Rest But Not Our Selves????? But There Are Many People Who Can't Make The Decision Themselves. I Know A Lot Of People Disagree But When You Have Seen Someone Bedridden, Completely Contracted, Weighing 75lbs And With Bedsores Large Enough To Stick Your

Fist In And With Bones Exposed, But Worst Of All With Their Mind Completely Intact But Unable To Communicate, You Tend To See A Different Side Of Things.

Wow ayers , that was one powerful post.

I wanted to post that along with wills and power of attorneys , my hubby and I have living wills. We also have appointed a third party to carry out our wishes if we both get hit in the head with a frying pan at the exact same time . lol sounds suspicious to me

edie

Agreed with most here, it's great news that he is being released. I fully support the right for assisted suicide. "Dr. Death", which the news insisted on calling him, is way ahead of his time.

I think everyone should be forced to see "The Sea Inside". Check it out, 396, you might have a change of heart.

Us Michiganders are for the most part pretty darned happy to see him released before he died in prison. In the Netherlands he'd be revered, no, strike that, he'd be normal. That's what they do there. Death with dignity.

I haven't heard much about him for some time. I guess from the sound of the posts here, he's in ill health?

I am so glad that he brought the problem out into the open and helped people think about physician assisted suicide as well as euthanasia. Many of us will have to deal with these decisions at some point in our lives. It is important for us to make our wishes known to our loved ones in case we become incapacitated and are unable to tell our doctors ourselves.

Ayers, yours is a powerful post on the subject and I really appreciate everything you said.

I have had to watch my dad, my mother and my sister (who was my best friend) die. I too have witnessed the ungodly way we are able to keep some people who are riddled with pain, alive far past when nature intended.

Dying with dignity, in a beautiful, respectful, peaceful and loving way is what everyone should want. Not dying in excrutiating pain, without control of bodily functions, without the ability to move about or perhaps even eat or breathe without assistance. What a horrible, inhumane way we've allowed the government (mostly) and medical community (sometimes) to intervene in our impending deaths!

I'm with Mark... thank you Jack. I hope you have trained someone to follow in your footsteps, although I doubt if many men are as courageous and caring as you.

I feel the same way as the majority of you do about Dr. Kervorkian. In the Netherlands assisted death is legal. I read a most interesting post on another site from a fellow atheist who described the assisted death of his father. He and the rest of his immediate family were present for this and were able to say their farewells to a man who had chosen to die with dignity before the pain of his cancer had turned him foolish with its torment.