Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just created an account with this site, and mostly because I have just made two of the biggest changes in my life. I lived in Columbus Ga my entire life and on Feb. 18th 2014 I had Gastric Bypass. Everything was going great, until May 2014 my husband of almost 10 years and in the military and stationed in Fort Benning GA for 11 years received the orders that I dredded and knew would come. PCS orders. I was leaving the place I was born and raised and more importantly just had major surgery and was going to need the biggest support system for at least the first year. We moved, thank God, only 6 hours away to Fort Campbell KY in July 2014. I thankfully was able to continue eating healthy but with 3 kids and the move and my husband going away as soon as we got here to school for 2 months I didn't get much time to exercise. I have been able to continue to lose weight since ive been here and fortunately reached my goal weight of 135. but I realized in the past 2 months, starting November, I have been eating like my old self again. The holidays came and here without mom, brother, grandparents, etc really hit me hard. I have been eating cupcakes, cheesecakes, Cookies (Otis spunkmeyers 100cal each!), and even been to krispy Kreme twice and had about 3 donuts over a few hours. This type of eating has put me in a deep depression. I eat these things in a frenzy and so fast to where im like getting it stuck and feeling uncomfortable because I tried to get it down so fast before I can even stop myself. I used to be like this, but in recent years have really put a lot of effort to think things through before I just shoved something in my mouth. I feel like I have really screwed up. I went for the first time to the assigned nutritionist here on post since ive been here and he told me I was eating way too much. That me eating a cup and sometimes a lil over that, at only 10 mos out at the time was terrible. that the most should be 3/4 of a cup. I have been trying to do that but if I don't measure and eat say eggs , like 2 of them I will eat something else like half an apple and before you know it im uncomfortable because im too full. I really need some good guidance. I don't want to be that patient, we all know that patient that lost so much weight and 3 years later full blown obese. Does anyone have any rituals they'd like to pass on or good advise?

My first piece of advice is to get on MyFitnessPal.com and begin to actually start tracking what you are eating, the Water you are hopefully drinking, and the exercise that you are getting. I know that it is a hassle, but make yourself measure what you are eating. Be accountable to YOURSELF. If you cheat, you cheat, but knowing that you will have to write it down, should slow you down on the urge to over-indulge. I think of it as spending money if you know your checkbook is already overdrawn! You DO NOT need to be perfect, take it a step at a time. I think doing this will help you feel more in control and in reading your post I think it is the 'out of control' feeling that has you panicked more than anything. IT IS NEVER TOO LATE!!!

Don't worry so much about the 1 cup or 3/4 cup of food per meal. It really will depend on what you are eating, one cup of yogurt and you might still be hungry, 1/2 cup of steak and you may be so full you can't eat another bite. Until you feel more in control, just concentrate on recording what you are eating (with honest measurements). Remember nobody is checking your journal but you, so if you do cheat in what you record, you are only cheating yourself!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It is just part of the journey!

Carol

It's NOT too late and you didn't come this far to be defeated by some cakes and donuts! You've slipped up. It happens, you just have to move on. I'm a military wife too and I know how hard it is to leave your comfort zone and everyone you love and how easy it is to turn back to good ole reliable food to feel better. What you need is a new support group and to get out there and involved! There is probably weight loss classes on base and possibly even a bariatric surgery group, there is on our base. You could learn plus help others going to something like that. Plus, post should have a workout room for moms with kids, try that out. Your weight loss is inspiring. I'm getting bypass in March and hope to have results like yours. Right now you sound like working out will really help your body and mind. You may have some winter/pcs blues and the best solution is getting active and enjoying all Kentucky has to offer. I've been there, I know it's rough but it's doable! And lastly, find a few pictures of your old self and post them around as a reminder of how far you've come. You should be proud, don't let anything take away what you've accomplished! You can do this!!!

It's NOT too late and you didn't come this far to be defeated by some cakes and donuts! You've slipped up. It happens, you just have to move on. I'm a military wife too and I know how hard it is to leave your comfort zone and everyone you love and how easy it is to turn back to good ole reliable food to feel better. What you need is a new support group and to get out there and involved! There is probably weight loss classes on base and possibly even a bariatric surgery group, there is on our base. You could learn plus help others going to something like that. Plus, post should have a workout room for moms with kids, try that out. Your weight loss is inspiring. I'm getting bypass in March and hope to have results like yours. Right now you sound like working out will really help your body and mind. You may have some winter/pcs blues and the best solution is getting active and enjoying all Kentucky has to offer. I've been there, I know it's rough but it's doable! And lastly, find a few pictures of your old self and post them around as a reminder of how far you've come. You should be proud, don't let anything take away what you've accomplished! You can do this!!!

Ok i literally just almost choked from laughing the first part of this message. In all seriousness though it's very true. I am so used to running all seasons where I'm from and here freezing all dogon day and the post here is decent however I can't start the support groups until march because of there odd bours. And I have a gym in my garage but I seriously cannot layer enough to stand the cold. It's like so frustrating. If it were just a bit warmer. We don't do gyms because we invested in expensive equipment , I would drag it in if on post houses weren't the size of my childhood treehouse. I've been doing some workouts in the house but hasn't been helping me with controlling the sweet stuff. And it's not even like I'm hungry it's more of how I miss how good it taste.its much like you mourn the loss of that time in your life where you enjoyed those things, so I give in to get that feeling. It's so hard, but I'm not going to give up!!! Thank you!!!!

One of the most important part of this journey is the mental change that has to be made in order to support the physical change. I am a military brat and grew up all over the world (Okinawa, Korea, Guam, everywhere in the United States). We PCS'd every two years and I know the strain and toll that takes on a family. I would recommend counseling to give you a consistent support system and also someone who is going to give you honest feedback. I put myself in therapy two years ago to support the change I am making and feel this has helped get my head in the place where I can be successful with the sleeve. Good luck and you've got this!!

Jennifer

One of the most important part of this journey is the mental change that has to be made in order to support the physical change. I am a military brat and grew up all over the world (Okinawa, Korea, Guam, everywhere in the United States). We PCS'd every two years and I know the strain and toll that takes on a family. I would recommend counseling to give you a consistent support system and also someone who is going to give you honest feedback. I put myself in therapy two years ago to support the change I am making and feel this has helped get my head in the place where I can be successful with the sleeve. Good luck and you've got this!!

Jennifer

Yes, I made the call yesterday to my pc. I asked for a referral to see a professional in mental health. I need help. I get what I'm doing wrong. But my hands and eyes move faster than I want them to. And I really need to get help on how to approach a treat when it's there being offered and in my face. I can advise someone all day long to just think first about how bad it makes you feel afterwards but I just can't seem to do it myself. I think you made a smart decision by doing that and I'm making the same.

Good for you!!! Making the call and asking for the referral can be the hardest part. I hope you find a therapist who will be a good fit for you and will help you make the changes you are looking for. It may take trying more than one therapist, but the right one is out there. = )

Jennifer

Good for you!!! Making the call and asking for the referral can be the hardest part. I hope you find a therapist who will be a good fit for you and will help you make the changes you are looking for. It may take trying more than one therapist, but the right one is out there. = )

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer, best of luck to you as well.

A couple of thoughts for you.... Remember when you first started the pre-op diet? The first thing that has to happen is to detox from the sugars and carbs. That takes a few days. So, can you try and go 3 days without a sugary treat? Start with one day, then add another, then add a 3rd. Drink TONS of Fluid, because that will keep you so full that you don't have room for the treats. Remember, sugar craves sugar, and carbs crave carbs! (I know they're the same thing inside your body.) Maybe if you can detox from the sugar, the cravings will go away. Good luck, and keep pounding the fluids. That's what keeps me on track!