Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I called the center today only to find out I am not qualified because at my initial consult I weighed 214 and at 63 inches my BMI was 38...I do not have any comorbidities...what to do I am so frustrated...I have literally had weight issues my entire adult life...I'm devastated. Can I go back and weight with weights in my pockets LOL!

I actually had a co-worker that weighed with leg weights under her pant legs, then took them off before the physical examination...it worked for her! Her insurance covered it!

It crossed my mind too, but I think they determine how much anesthesia to give you based on weight? I'm probably so wrong on that, but I'd hate to take that chance and get more than I need and never wake up!

Anyway, I decided to self-pay in Tijuana Mexico. The city is very beautiful, very safe, there were LOTS of Americans in my hotel doing the same thing - from all over the US....the only thing I'd change is that I would of had it done at a hospital vs the clinic I chose. I think my post op experience would have been very different. I paid $3750 for the surgery and airfare from Texas to San Diego. :-) ... Just a thought... :-)

Gain a few pounds, wear heavy clothes, leave your shoes on, rolls of quarters in your pockets.....seriously you are so close.

As far as the anesthesia....I was weighed the day of surgery. You are most certain to lose weight on the pre op liquid diet and no reputable anesthesiologist will take a weight from your first weigh in months before your surgery so no need to worry about getting too much.

I knew someone who did that. They wore ankle weights with bell bottom pants.

Yes my surgeon had me weigh in first time with shoes on. She said we want it heavy. Post surgery it was take off shoes, empty pockets!!!! I laughed but complied. So go back in a week with full pockets of lead weights. Do you have to have documented sleep apnea? I just said my other told me I do but I had a high enough BMI that it didn't matter. No one asked for a sleep test.

Yes to the ankle weights trick. A few high sodium meals before a weigh in would also cause Fluid retention and a higher weight on the scale.

Thanks guys...I hate how overweight I am and it has always been this way

Wow...I honestly didn't even think of it like that...I was really just trying to improve my mood with something silly. Thank you though.

I know how you feel I have had 35+ BMI for years now with no co-morbidities and insurance denied me :( Now I am at 40+ BMI still no co-morbidities and I have to stay at this weight for 2 years for the insurance to pay! If I loose even 5 pounds during that 2 years and it is in doctors records they will not approve. I am so frustrated because I know I need this surgery as a tool to be successful .On my own I seem to gain and loose the same 15-20 pounds over and over.

Edited by wildflowergirl

So I called the center today only to find out I am not qualified because at my initial consult I weighed 214 and at 63 inches my BMI was 38...I do not have any comorbidities...what to do I am so frustrated...I have literally had weight issues my entire adult life...I'm devastated. Can I go back and weight with weights in my pockets LOL!

My son's BMI was too low, as well. His GP lowered his height on his chart by one inch, which put him at 40 BMI. I don't know if your doc would be willing to do this, but it's worth a shot!

My son's BMI was too low, as well. His GP lowered his height on his chart by one inch, which put him at 40 BMI. I don't know if your doc would be willing to do this, but it's worth a shot!

My doctor said they had to go by the height on your license

My doctor said they had to go by the height on your license

My doctor did not go by the height on my license. I have 5 9 on my DL and they submitted 5 7 to insurance (no shoes on when measured at the Drs office). Maybe that's your Drs policy rather than the insurance companies policy.

Edited by sunflowerchild

Hmmmm....insurance fraud for sure.

Maybe if you aren't so tall...somebody very close to me slouched a bit. 1-1/2" makes a big diff for BMI.