Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is scared to give up food?

Im getting surgery tomorrow and had my last real big meal last night, and am on all Clear liquids for today. I can tell you mentally I dont know if Im ready for this..Physically I know I need it, mentally it will be hard for a while, till I see results and realize it was worth it. I am terrified of what the future holds and what foods I will and will not be able to tolerate, but my future not doing anything about it terrifies me even more. Another thing you don't realize is how many darn food commercials there are on TV until you cant eat solids.. Oh well, no turning back now!!!

The fear before surgery that we have is that we will still not have the control to choose not to eat unhealthy foods in large quantities. Remember the operative word is choose. You will still be able to eat anything you want down the road, you will just have a bumper rail against overeating and the removal of the physical craving. The rest is still on us, just as it was before surgery. Yes, it's scary. Most of us (if not all) have tried and failed over and over to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

But don't think about 'giving up' foods. You're simply choosing not to eat them or in much smaller quantities. As you become more and more successful in your weight loss, your confidence will skyrocket as you realize that you are in control of what you eat and how much.

I can tell those who are pre-op that my physical cravings are still almost nil and I am truly satisfied eating 4-4.5 ounces of food. I thought I would regret not being able to woof down 4 cups of food in a meal, but nope. I'm perfectly satisfied and I actually savor the taste even more now. All foods I've eaten still taste great and I don't enjoy the taste any less than I did before surgery, but now the need to eat is greatly diminished.

As I'm approaching my goal weight and even after almost 130 lbs of weight loss, I'm nervous I'll begin adding back in more calorie-dense food and suddenly start packing the weight back on. It's still going to be a lifelong battle of sorts, but now we're armed better!

Best of luck on your journey!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

@@JerseyJules, most of us were on a two week pre-op diet which included two Protein shakes and a small salad per day, followed by two days of Clear Liquids, then nothing 24 hours prior to surgery, so trust me, we know how many food commercials there are. If you only had to go on a restricted diet for a day or two, you're very lucky!

The way I see it, if I do eat something that's not ideal after surgery, it also isn't that much food anyway. When I eat poorly now, it's SO MUCH, you know? But post-surgery, it'll just be a little bump in the road rather than complete derailment. It's a real weight off my shoulders both physically and mentally.

@@JerseyJules You got this! I expect to see a post from you tomorrow telling us what your experience was like. Stay positive!

I tell myself that I have had plenty of everything I could have ever wanted to eat in my lifetime so far.

I'm confident that a bit of something decadent way down the road will be a treat enough for me to be happy.

food doesn't love you, it doesn't even know you. Its the memory/affection/approval associated with the food that you're seeking... And that was exactly what I needed to hear to make this change. I can't wait to "give up" foods. I've already given up pop, sugary dinks unhealthy snacking & candy... I don't miss it..... I don't know what my body will tolerate after and I'm kind of excited to see if I get new tastes for healthier things...

I did have that feeling at first, I had 1 farewell dinner, then I realized this isn't the last time I'll eat this.. It might take me a year to eat it again, but by then.. I might not even want it.

@@SuperDave, Luv this!! "what was more important to me, food, or literally everything else in life." **clapping** truth!

Edited by AhnaLucille

Ok, I am going to be really honest here, and l am petrified to give up food! food has been my friend, my enemy, my boyfriend, my lover my everything... in times when i didn't have all of the other things, or i wasn't getting my needs met! I am on my journey and I am ready to have a new life I know i don't want to be this weight for my health, but in the years I have dieted and lost a ton of weight, I have come to the conclusion that i am afraid of failing, and i am also afraid of SUCCEEDING!

I have had my appt with my surgeon, and nutritionist, I know that i want to do this. I am sure that this is the right decision, but is there anyone out there that is dealing with the FEAR?!?!?!?

Look, food can't replace real freinds and lovers, you just want it that much and that's an addiction. Just like an alcoholic or drug user the addiction drives you and controls you and all you know is you need it. Fear of failing or succeeding? Probably more likely afraid to take the first step on the journey you know you need to make, and that you can't come back once you make that decision. I had a lot of the same fears, but now I'm about 5 months out and I couldn't be happier. Now I control my relationship with food and not the other way around. I still enjoy many of the foods I love, but I can't abuse them, my sleeve won't let me. I'm still in the early part of my journey, what I didn't realize until I got here, is that the path behind me is darker than the path ahead. Good Luck to you.

smile121, on 08 Jan 2015 - 10:39, said:snapback.png

Ok, I am going to be really honest here, and l am petrified to give up food! food has been my friend, my enemy, my boyfriend, my lover my everything... in times when i didn't have all of the other things, or i wasn't getting my needs met! I am on my journey and I am ready to have a new life I know i don't want to be this weight for my health, but in the years I have dieted and lost a ton of weight, I have come to the conclusion that i am afraid of failing, and i am also afraid of SUCCEEDING!

I have had my appt with my surgeon, and nutritionist, I know that i want to do this. I am sure that this is the right decision, but is there anyone out there that is dealing with the FEAR?!?!?!?

food stopped being my friend s my allergies got worse. Once the food you eat puts your in a 4 day coma it stops being your friend. I was not scared of this surgery, I welcomed the chance to put my allergies into remission.

I have the exact same fear as you. I literally now realize it is what was holding me back. For the LONGEST time I researched every thing you can think of about the lap band. I did all the tests and even set a date for surgery, next Thursday 22nd of January 2015 for the lap band. Thankfully, both procedures demand the same tests and I still get to keep my date. Now (less than 24 hours) things have changed. I've decided to go with the sleeve. In terms of realistically living with it, the sleeve unlike the band demands no maintenance. No extra costs. No risks of food getting stuck or avoiding certain foods. I'm still young, I want to live life to the fullest. Regardless of the procedure, I know it's a tool and I know my dependency on food won't matter once I have more stamina, no more knee or back pain, more clothes shopping.

I love food. I will still get to enjoy the foods I love. But a bite or two rather than the whole thing. Just enough to be satisfied. I'm looking forward to being able to exercise without hurting myself.

I have tried everything I can and exhausted all my options. WLS is the way to go.

A year after your surgery, that's when you'll know how you really feel.

Edited by maskedbanded