Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

waiting for a date, how long after approval did you wait?

Like the title says, how long did you wait for a surgery date once you were approved? I've been waiting a month and it's killing me

1 wk...

It really varies by insurance. But, I have Anthem BCBS and I was approved in 24 hours.

Edited by Jlkhollins

Would have been two weeks but I pushed it back to 3 due to school.

Oh and I had to be on a two week pre-op diet so that's why the two Weeks!

I'm almost ashamed to say this because once I knew my insurance covered it I never gave it a second thought. My doctor's office submitted all the paper work, I have no idea when. I just know I received my authorization letter around July or August. I was maybe half to a third of the way through my testing. I had surgery in September. It would have been the first week in September, but I canceled my first sleep study appointment and it took 2 weeks to reschedule.

I had just left for a 2 week vacation when I was approved, so I scheduled for a month later. I could have done it in 2 weeks, but I didn't want to be on vacation and a liquid diet at the same time!

I was scheduled a date at my 6th month visit with the surgeon. They then sent in the paperwork, I was approved 3 days later.

Thanks for the responses, everyone

I have been approved since Dec 6. Still no date yet.

December 29th I got the call that my insurance approved me. I don't know what day they sent it to them because on December 19th or 22nd (Friday or Monday) I was told that the surgeon had to sign off on it before they sent it to insurance. so, minus the holiday it took maybe 3 or 4 days.

These insurance companies need to get on it. They should rather pay for this surgery than risk having to pay for all the stuff we could need done if we didn't get it! This is sort of preventative care for us.

It's not tyhe insurance company that's holding me up, it's the surgeon

That sucks! I got a tentative date, then they sent in for the approval, so it was a pretty seamless process for me. I hope that you get a date soon. That's gotta be frustrating!

Bug the HELL out of them! Between the approval call and the date slthe admin called to schedule was about a week but that was only because the admin was on vacation.

And I answered your question wrong. :(

Between getting the appropriate al call and getting an actual date, 2 days. My surgery is 10 Feb I have to do a 4 week pre-op diet.

I had my surgery date a good 5 months before my insurance approved my surgery. My surgeon's office had to put a "tentative" date in the paperwork when they originally contacted the insurance company to make sure that my surgery would be covered before I even started the process. Once I completed my processes, about 4 1/2 months later, my surgeon submitted the final paperwork again to the insurance company, I was approved for surgery less than 48 hours later, and my surgeon confirmed a final surgery date within a couple of days. My tentative date was Dec. 16th, and I actually had my surgery on Dec. 12th.