Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery on December 17

Congratulations!!! I am scheduled to have my surgery Monday Dec 29. I have to say that premiere Protein is good. I tried a lot of different ones but the chocolate is good plus you get 30 grams of protein

My fav Protein now is nectar. It's 23g of Protein but you only need 8oz of water/milk. So I could drink it in less time. I also like Jay Robb Proteins as well. The orangesicle is pretty good. Both taste like desert. And nectar is sugar free.

I went to the Vitamin shoppe and bought about 10 different protein samples. So I'm test running all of them.

OK I am just on my preoperative diet but want to be prepared. I'm glad everything was a success

My fav Protein now is nectar. It's 23g of Protein but you only need 8oz of water/milk. So I could drink it in less time. I also like Jay Robb Proteins as well. The orangesicle is pretty good. Both taste like desert. And nectar is sugar free.

I went to the Vitamin shoppe and bought about 10 different protein samples. So I'm test running all of them.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Good thought regarding buying samples. Many people's tastes change after their DS so what you liked before might change for good or change for a while.

Edited by Postop

Hi, I had my switch the 18th. I'm having a terrible time getting in my liquids and Protein. I'm finding that every time I drink or try to eat I start burping. Can anyone else relate?

here's a trick with the Syntrax Nectars you can do a scoop and a half in 5 oz of milk and that gives you 39 grams of Protein (4 grams for the milk) for a low ounce liquid. and if you blend it it stays nice and smooth. Just a little trick.

Hi guys! Gratz on your decision to change your life for the better. Soooo many folks think of doing something about their obesity. They dwell, ponder, ruminate...but never actually do something real. You are all exceptions to this rule of human nature, you are people of action and should be commended! I had my DS surgery on May 8th of 2014. I weighed 412 lbs at my highest, and I think 390 or so on date of surgery. I've since lost 173 lbs and believe I will reach my goal weight of 185 lbs by my anniversary date of May 8th for a total loss of 227 lbs. The most important advice I could give you newer post surgery folks is to find a liquid you can consume easily and drink it. For my 1st 2 months I did VERY poorly with Fluid intake...and food intake was even worse! Do NOT be discouraged because your body is in shock and will remain on a war footing for several months . For me a HUGE help was to switch from Water...which I had always loved before surgery...to simply lemonade. It's a fresh squeezed lemons drink sold in most super markets and it was suggested to me by a veteran DS guy. It may well have saved my life! I was peeing dark amber or even brown urine and was nauseous all the time. I just couldn't drink Water and it made me sick when I tried. There's something about the flavor of the lemonade that worked for me. I don't care what it is, if it's in liquid form and it tastes good to you....drink it! Maybe a juice, maybe a sugared drink you'd normally not want to drink. Just trust me when I say hydration is critical to your healing and you need to keep looking for the beverage you can actually drink. Koolaid, chocolate milk...whatever! As for Vitamins, I'd say worry about that after a couple of months at least. I do recomment B12 injections monthly because they're cheap (mine is $4 per month at my local super market and my Dr. gave me a 2 yr prescription). You don't need to eat them...so why not get it starting immediately. But wolfing down a ton of pills daily is not feasable for new post op folks...though if you can tolerate it I say go for it. Focus on liquids early on. Expect to have thoughts that you may never be able to eat again. Trust me you will...but it's going to take 6-7 months. In the mean time just roll with it, because this is where the weight loss magic occurs. Keep in mind that you have about 18 months of super charged weight loss after this procedure, and after this your stomach will stretch to about 75% of a "normal persons". That means weight gain is possible, and certainly weight loss is less possible, than when your stomach was 25% normal size. So while you suffer trying desperately to get in your liquids and Proteins, your weight will be falling off like magic! Your suffering will NOT be in vain guys. I promise you your reward is just beyond the horizon. Now...drink something...anything! :P

Leobutterfly trust me when I say I know exactly what you're going through. What made my situation even worse is that I'm an RN and knew I should be drinking more fluids...but I just couldn't! I drank bottled Water by the dozens each week before surgery, but afterwards I changed and couldn't drink it anymore without getting sick. Trust me, keep looking for the drink that will work for you because it IS out there. Also, if you get severely dehydrated look for a clinic near you where you can get IV fluids. I needed to do it once because I feared going into renal failure because I went days with almost no intake. You will survive this difficult time I promise you. Hang in there!

@@Will2014 Thank you!! Yes, I'm in nursing school now so I know the repercussions of not getting in enough fluids, and that's the scary part. It has gotten a little better. I found that warm liquids go down easier for me. I appreciate the advice.

Excellent! I'm happy that you're better able to get in your fluids, and that you've chosen to embark on a career in nursing. You won't regret either decision! Man alive woman, you're just changing your life for the better in all kinds of ways aren't ya?! Good for you. :)

Hello,

I had my DS four months ago, and had issues the first two and a half months also. Mine was due to drainage from my nose, I wasn't able to eat, take my Vitamins or get enough Water down. I had physical things happen because of it, and finally around Thanksgiving I was able to start eating, but I was still not able to get myself back on track. In December I finally went to the hospital and was admitted, hooked up to an IV and had Vitamin bags pumped into me, along with fluids. Been almost two months since that and I'm doing good with my Vitamins, and regular food. I'm struggling with the Protein shakes now, so when I get the funds I'm going to go to the Vitamin Shoppe and check out their alternatives. I'm trying to stay focused when it comes to Water, I've been drinking a lot of juice and coffee lately, and forgetting the 64oz of water I need each day. I've been able to eat things that I guess are uncommon so early one, like Pasta, bread and rice. I can also eat like pringles and other chips, but I don't eat them in large quantities. Everything that is not Protein I eat in small quantities just so that I don't cause myself discomfort. As my ticker says I've lost just over 100 lbs since my starting weight, and 86 since my surgery. I've kinda stalled right now, I'm not losing weight as fast as I started, but I don't focus on that because I know that it's only temporary. I just try to focus on one day at a time, and make sure that I meet my goals for each day. Good luck to you !

Well, I have to say things are going well for me. I went to the doctor for my 6 week follow up and he told me I'm right on track. I also go to my PCP on Friday. I'm fortunate because both my primary and endocrinologist were super supportive of me having surgery which I'm learning isn't always the case.